Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

    Quote Originally Posted by Timolol View Post
    Where'd you get your hygrometer from?
    i bought it from HomeFix. It's around the car accessories area. only the larger homefixs would have them though. Try Marina Square. I personally got mine from Tanglin Mall

  2. #22

    Default Re: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

    I have a dry cabinet at home and a lock and lock container in the office.

    Both are ok, just that there are days my camera have to be in the office, hence the lock and lock. i think mine is 14L with wheels with tons of silica.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

    Quote Originally Posted by ponders View Post
    I have a dry cabinet at home and a lock and lock container in the office.

    Both are ok, just that there are days my camera have to be in the office, hence the lock and lock. i think mine is 14L with wheels with tons of silica.

    waaaah, where did you find a 14L lock n lock?

    Good idea. When i get my dry cabi, i'll put my lock n lock in the office, or even my car, so it doesn't go to waste.


    But seriously, all this humidity thing has gotten me rather paranoid. I even get nervous if my camera is sitting idly out of its dry box, as if it's going to spoil if it leave it in the open for even an hour.

    does this paranoid thinking happen to anyone else?

  4. #24
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

    Quote Originally Posted by oneluckyguy View Post
    i bought it from HomeFix. It's around the car accessories area. only the larger homefixs would have them though. Try Marina Square. I personally got mine from Tanglin Mall
    Is your hygrometer battery operated or need to be connected to the power point? I went to HomeFix IMM & Causeway Point but what i saw the digital ones that must be connected to the power point. Which is yours & how much did you pay for it?
    Take the shot!

  5. #25

    Default Re: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

    Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    Is your hygrometer battery operated or need to be connected to the power point? I went to HomeFix IMM & Causeway Point but what i saw the digital ones that must be connected to the power point. Which is yours & how much did you pay for it?
    He forked out $25 for it iirc.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

    Quote Originally Posted by oneluckyguy View Post
    waaaah, where did you find a 14L lock n lock?

    Good idea. When i get my dry cabi, i'll put my lock n lock in the office, or even my car, so it doesn't go to waste.


    But seriously, all this humidity thing has gotten me rather paranoid. I even get nervous if my camera is sitting idly out of its dry box, as if it's going to spoil if it leave it in the open for even an hour.

    does this paranoid thinking happen to anyone else?
    honestly.. i forgot... i think from OG Orchard Point.

    and i think its more that 14 litre. because not only my SLR goes in there. but also my projector.

    it has wheels and a date indicator....

  7. #27

    Question Re: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

    having discussed a lot on dry box or cabinet. who can recommend where to buy dry cabinet and hygrometer? how much is the cost for both? thanks a lot.

  8. #28
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

    Quote Originally Posted by Timolol View Post
    He forked out $25 for it iirc.
    THks. $25..........
    Take the shot!

  9. #29

    Default Re: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

    Quote Originally Posted by hba1122 View Post
    having discussed a lot on dry box or cabinet. who can recommend where to buy dry cabinet and hygrometer? how much is the cost for both? thanks a lot.
    don't dry cabinets come with hygrometer ?

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286401

  10. #30

    Default Re: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

    Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    Is your hygrometer battery operated or need to be connected to the power point? I went to HomeFix IMM & Causeway Point but what i saw the digital ones that must be connected to the power point. Which is yours & how much did you pay for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Timolol View Post
    He forked out $25 for it iirc.
    Yep, mine is battery operated and costs $25 (thereabouts). I saw analog ones that look pretty retro and costs about $10.

  11. #31
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

    Quote Originally Posted by oneluckyguy View Post
    Yep, mine is battery operated and costs $25 (thereabouts). I saw analog ones that look pretty retro and costs about $10.
    Thanks, I'll go check it out
    Take the shot!

  12. #32
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

    just get a small dry cabinet, size is just like a microwave oven, you can put on top of the table, or under the table, use it as a bedside table, use it as phone table, put anyway in the living room, bed room, space is not really and issue for a small size dry cabinet.

    if you get later, don't forget you will spend more in the end and still need to dispose the "dry box and whatever things".
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #33
    Senior Member TheChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Where the action is
    Posts
    2,304

    Default Re: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

    Don't cry when fungus grows on your equipment. I recommend a dry cabinet for peace of mind.
    S5Pro|S3Pro|D50|16-85VR2|70-200VR|80-400VR|S50f1.4|105f2|135f2|SB900|SB80DX

  14. #34
    Member MrKami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheChef View Post
    Don't cry when fungus grows on your equipment. I recommend a dry cabinet for peace of mind.
    LOL. Yeah dry cabinet is much more safe
    My Passion, My Dedication, My Photography

  15. #35
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

    Quote Originally Posted by Timolol View Post
    He forked out $25 for it iirc.
    Its $29.05 now.
    Take the shot!

  16. #36

    Default Re: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    just get a small dry cabinet, size is just like a microwave oven, you can put on top of the table, or under the table, use it as a bedside table, use it as phone table, put anyway in the living room, bed room, space is not really and issue for a small size dry cabinet.

    if you get later, don't forget you will spend more in the end and still need to dispose the "dry box and whatever things".
    Haa, one bro gave a good suggestion which was to keep the dry box in the office once I get a dry cabi. Won't be wasted one la.

    and erm.. got which dry cabinet is the size of a microwave oven?

  17. #37

    Default Re: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

    Just buy the plain battery operating hygrometer; they cost between $22 - $32.

    The AC powered ones are for environment monitoring with plotter.

    Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    Is your hygrometer battery operated or need to be connected to the power point? I went to HomeFix IMM & Causeway Point but what i saw the digital ones that must be connected to the power point. Which is yours & how much did you pay for it?

  18. #38

    Default Re: Dry box or Lock N Lock container?

    Well, I have used a 20L 'tupperware' type of digi box, with a in-built hygrometer. In air the HR is ~65-75. After each opening of the box, I'll pour a table spoon of silica gel into it, and RH will drop to 45-55 in a few hours and stabilises there. After many many spoon fuls of silicagel, I'll heat the gel on a unwanted pan/metal tin container, and re-use silica gel.

    Cost of 20L 'tupperware' type box -~$20
    Silica gel ~$4

    This is useful if one is hardworking to do it, and space is really limited and/or if one wants to store a few pieces of glass at work or in school or something.

    Else for serious photographers, a dedicated large digicabi dry cabinet is usually recommended.

    cheers to fungal free glass!
    Jon from RDP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •