Thread: Free-to-air not really Free - radio/tv tax is $9/month

Default Free-to-air not really Free - radio/tv tax is $9/month

I just got my radio/tv tax bill from media development authority (MDA), courtesy of IRAS.

$110 for a year. that's >$9/month.... for the right to have a TV/ radio ??...
    and if this is said to go into developing local content, then clearly, the standards are seriously lacking.

Granted, Free-to-air here is better than in some neighbouring countries... but seriously .... mediocre reality shows, local dramas with one of these themes :
    1) Love.
    2) More love.
    3) family politics
    4) A bunch of swimmers who can't act
    5) one of the above.

... seriously lame. I have had cable TV for 2 months now... and I think I am getting 4 times the quality of content, for a little over twice of what the "free to air" licence is costing.

$9 will buy 2 weeks of cable TV. ... and today's ST article supports this (below).... and honestly, if "free" ... then local Tv might still be watchable... but at $9/month ... that is serious money, and the collectors of this tax should account for how this money is being spent ... generating REAL content.

------
    More people watch cable TV
    boon chan
    Thu, Nov 12, 2009
    The Straits Times

Cable channels have eaten into free-to-air TV's share of the viewing pie in Singapore.

On any given night, about two-thirds or 64 per cent of households with cable television are tuned to a cable programme instead of a free-to-air (FTA) channel.

This has gone up from four years ago. In 2005, the share of cable programmes in homes with cable was 59 per cent.

Default Re: Free-to-air not really Free - radio/tv tax is $9/month

woww..interesting analysis...

is it possible to subscribe for cable TV without the local TV so that we don't have to pay the $110 a year? haha...
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

It's called "Radio / TV Licence Tax". ie. bite fingers and just plough and pay, even if you don't watch dumb free to air programs.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Granted we can't run away from the TAX ... but shouldn't MDA / IRAS provide some accountability as to where all the funds being collected from this tax is going. And, some of the useless local production / drama should simply be axed.

And come on ... how many lame love stories can we watch, or silly family squabble-type stories.

Though if you ask me, it's another archiac tax ... just like the driving licence renewal (which is also a tax), which has now been abolished.