Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Settings for shooting across the window

  1. #1

    Default Settings for shooting across the window

    hey guys, im wondering what are the suitable settings to use if i want to shoot objects through a reflective surface, say glass/window?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Serangoon North
    Posts
    2,225

    Default Re: Settings for shooting across the window

    You need a polarizing filter to reduce the reflection.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photogr...lter#Polarizer

  3. #3

    Default Re: Settings for shooting across the window

    tks for the advice!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Settings for shooting across the window

    It would be good if you could describe the specific situation. Are you shooting small object in a display case? Mannequins in a store window? Is the object in an area more brightly lit, or are you on the brighter side?...

    Assuming your issue is reflections off the glass, a polarizing filter is one way to go. You will need to shoot at an angle to the glass, not perpendicular to it.

    If you're shooting a display case in a room, you could also turn off the room lights to lower the illumination on objects that might be reflected in the glass (assuming you can do that, of course).

    If the situation allows, you could also shoot from very close to the glass (best is a rubber hood on you lens pressed up against the glass).

    You might also need to wear dark clothes to avoid becoming a reflection yourself!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Settings for shooting across the window

    This reminds of the question: What if the glass is tinted? Say, out of aeroplane window? Anyway to remove/reduce the color tinge?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Settings for shooting across the window

    I find it good eoough to use the SCN-Aerial Photo mode

  7. #7

    Default Re: Settings for shooting across the window

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    It would be good if you could describe the specific situation. Are you shooting small object in a display case? Mannequins in a store window? Is the object in an area more brightly lit, or are you on the brighter side?...

    Assuming your issue is reflections off the glass, a polarizing filter is one way to go. You will need to shoot at an angle to the glass, not perpendicular to it.

    If you're shooting a display case in a room, you could also turn off the room lights to lower the illumination on objects that might be reflected in the glass (assuming you can do that, of course).

    If the situation allows, you could also shoot from very close to the glass (best is a rubber hood on you lens pressed up against the glass).

    You might also need to wear dark clothes to avoid becoming a reflection yourself!
    well im trying to shoot out of the aeroplane window. i guess the outisde should be darker than inside the plane eh? haha

  8. #8

    Default Re: Settings for shooting across the window

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyboiwang View Post
    well im trying to shoot out of the aeroplane window. i guess the outisde should be darker than inside the plane eh? haha
    Not necessarily, it's normally much brighter outside in the day. Good night shots are probably not possible.

    Check this out for some tips:
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Ta...t-windows-4786

  9. #9

    Default Re: Settings for shooting across the window

    tks for the link dude! its a gd reminder for not getting a polarzing filter though haha. but it kinda lacks the setting details im looking for...like aperture, iso and shutter speed settings etc

  10. #10
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Settings for shooting across the window

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyboiwang View Post
    well im trying to shoot out of the aeroplane window. i guess the outisde should be darker than inside the plane eh? haha
    that depend whether you fly in the day or night.............
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #11
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: Settings for shooting across the window

    Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    This reminds of the question: What if the glass is tinted? Say, out of aeroplane window? Anyway to remove/reduce the color tinge?
    Use a reference with known white and let the image processor remove the excess colours. Example: White Balance.
    EOS

  12. #12

    Default Re: Settings for shooting across the window

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    that depend whether you fly in the day or night.............
    from night to day. so most likely i ll start taking in the morning.

  13. #13
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Settings for shooting across the window

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyboiwang View Post
    from night to day. so most likely i ll start taking in the morning.
    don't your camera come with programme exposure mode? also have exposure compensation? there is also have histogram for you to check exposure?

    anyway, as long you don't aim at the sun, you should able to get decent exposure, btw, bring your camera as close to the window as possible, almost touching, you can use a black cloth to shield the reflection just like a lenshood, instead of using CPL filter,
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  14. #14

    Default Re: Settings for shooting across the window

    aye cheers for the tips dude =) im thinking of getting a polarizing filter still just for long term investment.

  15. #15
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Settings for shooting across the window

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyboiwang View Post
    aye cheers for the tips dude =) im thinking of getting a polarizing filter still just for long term investment.
    using CPL filter you will lose 2~2.5 stops of exposure, it is fine when you are shooting in bright day light, but not in low light situation.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  16. #16

    Default Re: Settings for shooting across the window

    oicic. cheers man any specific brand of CPL u recommend? im thinking of getting hoya as my current UV filter is by them

  17. #17
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: Settings for shooting across the window

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyboiwang View Post
    oicic. cheers man any specific brand of CPL u recommend? im thinking of getting hoya as my current UV filter is by them
    It's not the brand .. rather the type. Multi-coated is mandatory. There are reviews as well like this: http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article...ters_test.html
    For wide angle lenses you might want to look at the slim types but read up about the usage (hint: uneven polarization). Do take note that not all slim filters can carry lens cap.
    Last edited by Octarine; 14th November 2009 at 10:06 PM.
    EOS

  18. #18

    Default Re: Settings for shooting across the window

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    It's not the brand .. rather the type. Multi-coated is mandatory. There are reviews as well like this: http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article...ters_test.html
    For wide angle lenses you might want to look at the slim types but read up about the usage (hint: uneven polarization). Do take note that not all slim filters can carry lens cap.
    thanks for the link dude. it reali helped

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •