Thread: On the way to Pokhara

Default On the way to Pokhara

This picture was taken from the recent trip to Nepal and on our way to Pokhara
    We stopped by here to take a toilet break and this house attracted my attention
    Anyway, I would like to seek your comments on the following ares for improvement

1. composition - I have composed it this way to show the beautiful scenery at the country side along the way to Pokhara

2. I convert it from the raw file to tiff file then resize and save it as jpeg file. Please feed back on the post processing for improvement.

3. I think it as one good pictures and seek your comments to further improving it

Thank you very much.
    Regards,

Default Re: On the way to Pokhara

I like the color and the sharpness of this photo. But IMHO, the tree in the front wasn't that interesting to me and it is a little distracting.

well done on the exposure.. but i'm afraid composition needs work...

the tree is fighting for attention with the house...and the tree is not a very interesting object. however...ur background is actually rather scenic..which i think u should have showcased instead of the tree... the unusually big cloud doesn't help either.

u should try to frame the mountains in the bg with a little sky, and the house in the foreground. would probably make a better composition.

I would echo what others say.
    Mountains (Himalayas?) should be given much more presence, sky less, with the house providing foreground.
    Nice colour and sharpness over the depth of the shot.
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

there is a blatant lack of thought here in the photograph, if you ask me. there is no.. effort to place elements such that they hold attention, it is a haphazard arrangement, with every single element here fighting for attention, be it the other houses, the house, the tree, the other tree.. there is a general sense of clutter here, and with that, the composition is ruined.

the exposure is spot on though.

suggest focusing the viewer's attention on the house as the main subject. the rule of thirds comes in handy here, by cropping off the houses at the left and some sky at the top, you will place the house at the bottom left third of the photo, and the himalayan mountain range on the bottom third. there is no need to include the full height of the tree, as the the people at bottom right in the photo gives the entire image a sense of scale.

Last edited by zaren; 21st November 2009 at 12:22 AM.

Thank you very much for all your comments.
    I need to improve the composition further.
    cheers,

Smile Re: On the way to Pokhara

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    suggest focusing the viewer's attention on the house as the main subject. the rule of thirds comes in handy here, by cropping off the houses at the left and some sky at the top, you will place the house at the bottom left third of the photo, and the himalayan mountain range on the bottom third. there is no need to include the full height of the tree, as the the people at bottom right in the photo gives the entire image a sense of scale.

To Zaren:
    wow...!
    impressed by the way you crop off parts of the tree.
    totally different feeling.
    draws all the attention back to the house, where Mr. hhho wanted.

To hhho:
    I like the colour a lot.
    Last edited by porkypig; 30th November 2009 at 12:20 AM.

This is beautiful and i find nothing disagreeable with the composition...

To a large extent absolute composition is a personal choice when the scene is complex.

However, this image can be imho improved if the large tree had more breathing space to the left. If one takes a close look at the open sky area... there is a quartercircle like curvature through the people-house-tree. Nepal is large, vast and relatively undisturbed land and that seems to emphasize this fact. Cropping off the tree would not be my choice.
    Last edited by surrephoto; 30th November 2009 at 01:11 AM.

the scale of everything is wow :O with the tiny people in the foreground. i like zaren's crop

Agree! The crop makes the frame tighter and the focus is mainly on the house, but yet the tree is not out of sight.