Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Along A Busy Street

  1. #1

    Talking Along A Busy Street

    Hi all,

    I would just like to ask for some comments/suggestions on this picture I took last night along Clarke Quay. Appreciate very much for viewing.

    Link to larger image - Along A Busy Street


    1. What area is critique to be sought
    I would just like to seek you humble opinions on how the picture could have been shot better (in terms of composition, color, lighting, etc). The camera settings I used were 2sec shutter speed, f4.5 aperture, 200 ISO. There was no post-processing done other than cropping the picture.

    2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work
    I want to make the pedicab stand out on the picture along the busy street of Clarke Quay.

    3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken
    The picture was taken last night at around 9pm under a clear cloud along Clarke Quay. I was under the trees and lighting was provided the the street lights.

    Thanks again. Have a good day to all!
    EOS 7D|EF24-70 f/2.8L

  2. #2

    Default Re: Along A Busy Street

    love the idea. It would be better without the tree.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Along A Busy Street

    if u properly stopped to look at ur picture..u would probably realise the tree is right smack in the middle of ur photo. it even cuts it in 2. definite disaster.

    would probably be an excellent shot if the tree is not there, and more of the pedicab in the foreground...

    exposure is good.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Along A Busy Street

    1) the yellow cast is way too dominant. tungsten lighting is a pain to handle, but even then, this is too yellow!

    2) agree with nysheng about the tree running through the middle of the frame.

    3) do you think it would have been better to shoot him with a face? with just a back, and not even that close, we can't evne see anything much!

  5. #5
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: Along A Busy Street

    I agree with the others about the tree's position.
    The photo is quite nice, but with the tree right in the middle, it spoils the whole photo.

    You have a yellow cast.
    I think this is because of the WB settings.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Along A Busy Street

    Hey! Think I may have just shot the same trishaw last wk.
    Same idea with a tripod to capture the car streaks behind.

    I'll agree the tree in the center wouldnt do.
    Perhaps you can consider even slower shutter to capture more streaks.

    I wouldnt have dared shot him from the front, not exactly a friendly fellow..
    Did however shot at 11mm and then cropped. He must have thot I'm shooting at the street but he was still unhappy cause I was standing really rather close to him..lol

  7. #7

    Smile Re: Along A Busy Street

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyatian View Post
    love the idea. It would be better without the tree.
    Thanks for the comments sleepyatian!

    Quote Originally Posted by nysheng View Post
    if u properly stopped to look at ur picture..u would probably realise the tree is right smack in the middle of ur photo. it even cuts it in 2. definite disaster.

    would probably be an excellent shot if the tree is not there, and more of the pedicab in the foreground...

    exposure is good.
    Thanks for the comments nysheng!

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    1) the yellow cast is way too dominant. tungsten lighting is a pain to handle, but even then, this is too yellow!

    2) agree with nysheng about the tree running through the middle of the frame.

    3) do you think it would have been better to shoot him with a face? with just a back, and not even that close, we can't evne see anything much!
    Thanks for the comments night86mare! I was not able to take uncle driver's face because of the same reason as redmonsoon (see comments below).

    Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    I agree with the others about the tree's position.
    The photo is quite nice, but with the tree right in the middle, it spoils the whole photo.

    You have a yellow cast.
    I think this is because of the WB settings.
    Thanks for the comments shaoken!

    Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    Hey! Think I may have just shot the same trishaw last wk.
    Same idea with a tripod to capture the car streaks behind.

    I'll agree the tree in the center wouldnt do.
    Perhaps you can consider even slower shutter to capture more streaks.

    I wouldnt have dared shot him from the front, not exactly a friendly fellow..
    Did however shot at 11mm and then cropped. He must have thot I'm shooting at the street but he was still unhappy cause I was standing really rather close to him..lol
    Thanks for the comments redmonsoon!


    Appreciate all your comments guys The reason for the tree on my photo is that I can't go any near uncle as it might annoy him. The lighting is from the street lights. Any tips on how to fix this?
    EOS 7D|EF24-70 f/2.8L

  8. #8

    Default Re: Along A Busy Street

    Quote Originally Posted by kiko-d-explorer View Post
    The lighting is from the street lights. Any tips on how to fix this?
    u can't really fix street lighting. try shooting in different wb modes and see which gives u the best shot. if u r shooting in raw, u can use photoshop to set wb

  9. #9

    Default Re: Along A Busy Street

    tried to clone the tree away...but failed...
    anyway i think the tree really cmi. crop it away - even this would have been better. let me know if u want it taken down. but then...this crop would be too tight ...best way...reshoot the photo infront of the tree
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Along A Busy Street

    Quote Originally Posted by nysheng View Post
    u can't really fix street lighting. try shooting in different wb modes and see which gives u the best shot. if u r shooting in raw, u can use photoshop to set wb
    Theres no 'wrong' wb since its meant to be an artisitic shot.
    But sometimes, I'll switch on liveview, and u can actually thumb through the wb, to select one u most preferred; as a form of preview.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Along A Busy Street

    Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    Theres no 'wrong' wb since its meant to be an artisitic shot.
    But sometimes, I'll switch on liveview, and u can actually thumb through the wb, to select one u most preferred; as a form of preview.
    haha..that's if u have the time la..not every situation allows u to do that mah.. so best is snap in raw and go.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Along A Busy Street

    tree removed


  13. #13

    Default Re: Along A Busy Street

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    tree removed

    nicer...now a 16:9 crop would bring more attention to the subject. and the lights will be leading lines to the subject. though it will still be more interesting if we could see the face
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Along A Busy Street

    less bg clutter would be even better.....
    Last edited by zaren; 25th November 2009 at 10:40 PM.

  15. #15

    Thumbs up Re: Along A Busy Street

    Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    Theres no 'wrong' wb since its meant to be an artisitic shot.
    But sometimes, I'll switch on liveview, and u can actually thumb through the wb, to select one u most preferred; as a form of preview.
    Thanks redmonsoon! Will definitely do that next time

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    tree removed

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    less bg clutter would be even better.....
    Thanks flipfreak, zaren! Those are far better that what I took


    Appreciate all your comments guys!
    EOS 7D|EF24-70 f/2.8L

  16. #16

    Default Re: Along A Busy Street

    Thanks flipfreak, zaren! Those are far better that what I took
    Appreciate all your comments guys![/QUOTE]

    Hey! its still YOUR photo!
    Now go and learn some editing skills..

  17. #17

    Default Re: Along A Busy Street

    I think, but again I could be wrong, you are trying to simulate a shot ( which is not new now ) commonly used by those movies or videos, showing one person standing still and with a lot of movement happening around him/her.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Along A Busy Street

    Its a rather nice idea. My issues:
    1. Way too much color cast.
    2. Tree, of course
    3. Subject positioned to the left and more importantly positioned such that it gives me the idea that he is leaving the frame.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Along A Busy Street

    Hey great exposure, you said busy street on your title.
    on my first glance it didnt look busy at all. all i see is lights.

    If you could bring up your shutter speed to let's say 1 sec or higher it would be nicer. Because the lights aren't telling me that the streets are busy.

    In other words, it would be a good shot if we can see the outlines of the car. just a little faster shutter speed will do, as the main subject is still the trishaw.

    Just my penny worth of thoughts.

    Cheers
    nikon d40x 18-55
    Photography is the new silence concept

  20. #20

    Default Re: Along A Busy Street

    How about moving more to the left and shooting a direct side profile of the trishaw. Would that give a more dramatic picture?

    And yes, gotta get the tree outta the way...

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •