Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: travelling to penang

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    delta ave, singapore
    Posts
    81

    Default travelling to penang

    Hi fellow cser,

    I will be in penang this coming 27 to 29 nov for a vacation.. Any sort of things, place, people etc.. that can be good for shooting? hope to here from you guys soon.. and also what sort of lens should i carry?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    delta ave, singapore
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: travelling to penang

    Quote Originally Posted by jundebandre View Post
    Hi fellow cser,

    I will be in penang this coming 27 to 29 nov for a vacation.. Any sort of things, place, people etc.. that can be good for shooting? hope to here from you guys soon.. and also what sort of lens should i carry?
    those anyone on this forum give some comments...

  3. #3

    Default Re: travelling to penang

    Quote Originally Posted by jundebandre View Post
    those anyone on this forum give some comments...
    Hi TS, i just where there not long ago. Actually there are quite some place you could visit for example Penang hill, guan yin temple (biggest standing statue in Penang). Penang dam, water fall etc etc. How do you plan to move around ? rent a car or by their local bus?

    Was it a photo trip or R&R trip. Best advice is to travel lite. if got good pns just bring it there if not, i would suggest 1 wide angle lens and 1 50m lens for street photography.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: travelling to penang

    Visit Pinang Peranakan Mansion, the place that they filmed Little Nonya, althongh the website says no photography, we took tonnes of them there

    RM$10 per entry, but definately worth for photography.

    http://www.pinangperanakanmansion.com.my/index.htm

    Pinang Peranakan Mansion
    29, Church Street, 10200 Penang, Malaysia
    Tel: 604-264 2929

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: travelling to penang

    Btw, if you are on budget trip like me, I stay in Tune Hotel Penang, definately worth it in terms of price and location.

    Penang has a good bus network, most of the buses are new also. See there guide at the below link.

    http://www.rapidpg.com.my/places-of-...t/where-to-go/

  6. #6

    Default Re: travelling to penang

    Hi TS, you could obtain some useful maps in the airport, after you pass through the immigration and obtaining you luggage . Those brochures / maps are place before you exit from the 'restricted zones', on the left and right side of the door.

    Look for a small magazine "IN Penang". free copy, useful info

    Some info I wrote on other thread (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=34)

    "Welcome to Penang!

    Well, if you arrive via airport, pick up a free magazine called "IN Penang" (should still publishing....), just before you leave the 'restricted area' (before going out to the place where people start waiting for the arrivals). It place on the right side of the door.

    Even you can't find the magazine, there still have some free maps. Grab one

    Chendol in Penang road - must try. Look for the one beside the coffee shop, as there is another stall opposite. Anyway should be able to tell as there is more people around the famous stall

    A walking tour around Penang's old street is good for photography, you may start from Esplanade (Padang Kota Lama) then to the Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling, where you will pass by the Temple of Goddess of Mercy (观音庙), further down the road after a T junction will be the Masjid (Mosque). Further down you will reach the area so call famous old street (古迹区), where the famous Khoo Kongsi is there. Ask around if you are not sure. The film Anna and the King also filmed nearby there.

    Well, personally I would advice avoid Food Stalls in Gurney drive. Even there might have some good food, but most of them are overprice."

    And (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=38)

    "Taxi is ok, but sometimes will be expensive, need to agree on price before board. Any place within Georgetown should not more then RM15 per trip per taxi...

    For Penang Laksa, the kopitiam beside the Chendol actually selling laksa too, quite ok. You will realize most people taking the Chendol standing outside, beside the stall. If you wish to eat inside the kopitiam, you have to pay additional RM0.60 iirc. The people in the kopitiam will order for you.

    But to get the famous laksa, it should be in Ayer Itam, just below the famous Kek Lok Si. However they are people said the Laksa there is not nice. Well depends on different people.

    For Char Koay Teow, my favourite stall is in Butterworth side, too bad inconvenience for you to cross over to Butterworth side. There are people recommend Lorong Selamat, but that one is too expensive, I don't like it, though with a lot of big prawn (I'm not fancy of that) if not wrong is about RM8 a plate. Common Char Koay Teow should be around RM3.5 to RM4, with Egg.

    Some link to try
    http://www.penang-traveltips.com/char-koay-teow.htm
    http://www.vkeong.com/2008/food-drin...calister-road/

    You will realize there are a few shop behind your hotel (Jalan Burma / Pulau Tikus area)

    For public buses, it is cheap, there are two main terminal (means bus starts and end there): one beside the jetty, one below the Komtar. Most buses start from Jetty will pass by Komtar, but not the other way round.

    About free bus
    http://wikitravel.org/en/Image:Penan..._Bus_Route.jpg
    Limited info about public bus
    http://wikitravel.org/en/Penang

    About the Heritage walk
    http://www.tourismpenang.gov.my/ "

    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan1975 View Post
    guan yin temple (biggest standing statue in Penang). Penang dam, water fall etc etc.
    Hi, just to correct, there is a famous Guan Yin temple in Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling in George town, which is about 200 yrs old.

    The largest standing statue is located inside the Kek Lok Si compound, Air Itam.

    Quote Originally Posted by coolman View Post
    Btw, if you are on budget trip like me, I stay in Tune Hotel Penang, definately worth it in terms of price and location.

    Penang has a good bus network, most of the buses are new also. See there guide at the below link.

    http://www.rapidpg.com.my/places-of-...t/where-to-go/
    This ia really a very useful info. I have search hard for this link, thanks a lot.
    For bus in Penang, never expect the service level on par with what available in Sg. but at least, an option to travel cheap, compare to taxi.
    Last edited by Shen siung; 13th November 2009 at 06:16 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: travelling to penang

    Heyoes jundebandre,


    I went to penang a few months ago and there were some places that gave spectacular views... since most people will be able to tell you about what's there to photograph in the main city area, i'll be talking more about outside of georgetown...

    If you're heading out of the city area (since i assume you'll be based in Georgetown), then you could consider driving through the West side of the island... The spice garden, telok bahang dam, stopping at the town of balik pulau for late lunch and a break (which has fantastic assam laksa just next to the old market, ask around, the villagers are very proud of their location and even have a tourist map of it) before going through the hills on the way back to Georgetown.

    if you're going through the hills, try to stop at anjung indah for dinner and camp there for magnificent sunset photos... it's a little park with a restaurant at the top of the area as well as some fruit stalls at the car park area. didn't try anything from the fruit stalls, but dinner at the restaurant was not too bad and the boss was friendly and chatty. you'll be able to find several good spots to take sunset shots from, watching it dip into the western sea is particularly enchanting

    lastly, i'd suggest you drive down and head to air hitam market for dinner/late supper... excellent food around the area as well...

    hope this helps!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    delta ave, singapore
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: travelling to penang

    Quote Originally Posted by BossCat View Post
    Heyoes jundebandre,


    I went to penang a few months ago and there were some places that gave spectacular views... since most people will be able to tell you about what's there to photograph in the main city area, i'll be talking more about outside of georgetown...

    If you're heading out of the city area (since i assume you'll be based in Georgetown), then you could consider driving through the West side of the island... The spice garden, telok bahang dam, stopping at the town of balik pulau for late lunch and a break (which has fantastic assam laksa just next to the old market, ask around, the villagers are very proud of their location and even have a tourist map of it) before going through the hills on the way back to Georgetown.

    if you're going through the hills, try to stop at anjung indah for dinner and camp there for magnificent sunset photos... it's a little park with a restaurant at the top of the area as well as some fruit stalls at the car park area. didn't try anything from the fruit stalls, but dinner at the restaurant was not too bad and the boss was friendly and chatty. you'll be able to find several good spots to take sunset shots from, watching it dip into the western sea is particularly enchanting

    lastly, i'd suggest you drive down and head to air hitam market for dinner/late supper... excellent food around the area as well...

    hope this helps!
    is it easy to walk around penang without any worries? and also is it easy to get transpo to those location? i think i would prefer the beach side to stay on and get around penang.. any photos to share with.. thanks

  9. #9

    Default Re: travelling to penang

    Quote Originally Posted by jundebandre View Post
    is it easy to walk around penang without any worries? and also is it easy to get transpo to those location? i think i would prefer the beach side to stay on and get around penang.. any photos to share with.. thanks
    You can bring a Wide angle (10-22, 12-24 for crop Cameras). 17-55mm can prob work, might be tight in some instances. Didn't really find much use for a tele. Can always bring a prime for low light or protraits (50mm or 85mm)

    It's quite safe to walk around. People are quite friendly.
    Food is always cheap compared to Singapore. Think only the "Sisters Char Koay Teow" is priced at Singapore $.

    I think you can just ask for directions on how to take bus at the hotel. Else just get them to get you a taxi. Like what the others have mentioned, pre-agree on the price before hopping on. Remember to bargain.

    I have 2 sets in flickr of some shots I took.

    This set was taken quite a while ago when I first got into photography
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/midicit...7594129052066/

    This other set, was more a visiting friends trip, so not so many pictures of sights.
    I do have shots of the famous Char Koay Teow & also a good Chendol stall in here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/midicit...7619785413135/

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    delta ave, singapore
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: travelling to penang

    Hi all,

    i'll be staying in hydro hotel, batu ferrenggi... any near places or things which is nice to take picture with...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •