Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the method to calibrate your monitor?

Default Re: What are the method to calibrate your monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Maybe that is why when I bought my Spyder 3 Pro from Cathay, the man told me not to worry too much about lighting around me... Just calibrate, he said...
    Well, I will still give your dark room idea a try the next round.
    Thanks again, flipfreak.
    for normal matt screen LCD it's ok to do calibration in ambient light.

the real problem comes when u're using an iMac with its thick plastic layer over the actual panel, which might incidentally absorb some of the surrounding light if they're bright enough.
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    for normal matt screen LCD it's ok to do calibration in ambient light.

the real problem comes when u're using an iMac with its thick plastic layer over the actual panel, which might incidentally absorb some of the surrounding light if they're bright enough.
    Hello, Clown.
    Mmm... another differing point here. Good. I'm learning daily.
    So your advice for myself, who uses MacBook Pro with indeed that plastic layer on the screen, would be to calibrate in the dark?

Hello, Clown.
    Mmm... another differing point here. Good. I'm learning daily.
    So your advice for myself, who uses MacBook Pro with indeed that plastic layer on the screen, would be to calibrate in the dark?
    for the sake of kiasi-ism and lessening the chances of murphy's law happening, yea..
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    for the sake of kiasi-ism and lessening the chances of murphy's law happening, yea..
    Ah... good good.
    Thank you for your advice.

Truly accurate colour can ONLY be achieved if all external factors are constant.

Therefore:

1) Arrange your illumination so that doesn't reflect of your monitor.
    2) Always draw the curtains / blinds or whatever to eliminate external lighting factors to the room
    3) Let your monitor warm up before calibrating: 30 minutes or so for LCD (backlit types) and 60 minutes for CRT (more accurate colour). LED types probably require at least 20 minutes. This allows the unit to warm up to operating temperature and remain constant.

4) Calibrate monitor using spectrophotomer or similar device

5) Recalibrate either daily for critical use or every 3 days for less critical use

6) DO not adjust the monitor brightness or contrast after calibrating, nor the angle or position of the monitor.

Good luck.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Truly accurate colour can ONLY be achieved if all external factors are constant.

Therefore:

1) Arrange your illumination so that doesn't reflect of your monitor.
    2) Always draw the curtains / blinds or whatever to eliminate external lighting factors to the room
    3) Let your monitor warm up before calibrating: 30 minutes or so for LCD (backlit types) and 60 minutes for CRT (more accurate colour). LED types probably require at least 20 minutes. This allows the unit to warm up to operating temperature and remain constant.

4) Calibrate monitor using spectrophotomer or similar device

5) Recalibrate either daily for critical use or every 3 days for less critical use

6) DO not adjust the monitor brightness or contrast after calibrating, nor the angle or position of the monitor.

Good luck.
    I'm beginning to see how strict one must be if one desires constant accurate colour reproduction. That will mean that one had better use a desktop which is kept at the same position in a relatively darkened room that does not receive fluctuating external lighting. And once set, don't adjust the monitor.
    Also, laptops (MacBook Pro, PC laptops etc.) are not good because one tends to carry them all over the places.

I'm beginning to see how strict one must be if one desires constant accurate colour reproduction. That will mean that one had better use a desktop which is kept at the same position in a relatively darkened room that does not receive fluctuating external lighting. And once set, don't adjust the monitor.
    Also, laptops (MacBook Pro, PC laptops etc.) are not good because one tends to carry them all over the places.
    You're welcome. Notebooks etc are ok, provided you are prepared to calibrate them every time you use them in a new location.

But for serious (read professional level results) you'll need more than a simple calibration unit anyway, you'll need a system capable of calibrating the monitor, printer and of using a printer calibration file from a pro-lab. Such systems aren't had for a few hundred dollars, a few thousand $$ is what you'll be spending. (typically around 5-8K USD for a full calibration system).
    The Ang Moh from Hell

You're welcome. Notebooks etc are ok, provided you are prepared to calibrate them every time you use them in a new location.

But for serious (read professional level results) you'll need more than a simple calibration unit anyway, you'll need a system capable of calibrating the monitor, printer and of using a printer calibration file from a pro-lab. Such systems aren't had for a few hundred dollars, a few thousand $$ is what you'll be spending. (typically around 5-8K USD for a full calibration system).
    Which, of course, is not for hobbyists like many of us.
    Would you consider the Spyder 3 Pro/Elite a reasonably good calibrater, in your experience?
    Last edited by limwhow; 15th November 2009 at 09:23 PM.

Which, of course, is not for hobbyists like many of us.
    Would you consider the Spyder 3 Pro/Elite a reasonably good calibrater, in your experience?
    From what I know of them they are acceptable. I use a full blown Gretag MacBeth system and an eye1 for portable use.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

From what I know of them they are acceptable. I use a full blown Gretag MacBeth system and an eye1 for portable use.
    Good, good! Acceptable is exactly what I'd like to know.
    Very reassuring ah... you are.
    I believe for my use as a hobbyist, this is most likely the best I ever need to do in calibrating my screen.
    Thank you once again.

Good, good! Acceptable is exactly what I'd like to know.
    Very reassuring ah... you are.
    I believe for my use as a hobbyist, this is most likely the best I ever need to do in calibrating my screen.
    Thank you once again.
    Your welcome limwhow. If you do it carefully you'll find the results very good.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Hi Ian,

Im also learning about calibration, till now I've been eye-balling my monitor against gamma charts (poor man's method) and the results are satisfactory (not the most accurate, but i can live with it for now)

However, I'm using a work flow like this:
    shoot/edit in adobeRGB
    convert to sRGB for web publish
    let canned printer profile handle color conversion if sending to my inkjet.

So, do it need to calibrate my printer? Assuming my canned profile is good (im using matching paper) and my printer is new, I shouldn;t need right? unless there is a specific printer fault that alters my colors?

Is that right? im not sure about this part....

Anyone is using Spyder Express? Thought of getting it. Any advice?
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

Spyder2 Express, dark room.

Interesting.
    When I bought from CP, the handsome man told me that no need to turn off lights lah... this and that lah... Just go ahead and calibrate with your ambience light..
    That is what I have been doing.
    Am I missing something here?
    Can anyone of you explain to me a little bit on this dark environment issue? Thanks.
    You need to have ambient lights. That is to balance the white point of the monitor. In a dark environment, you eye will tend to be more sensitive so sometimes the monitor can appear too bright and give you a wrong perception.

Spyder 3 Pro and Elite will check the ambient light and calibrate the white point to balance that with the ambient lighting so that it is just about right, not too bright and not too dim compared to the ambient light.

Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    Hi Ian,

Im also learning about calibration, till now I've been eye-balling my monitor against gamma charts (poor man's method) and the results are satisfactory (not the most accurate, but i can live with it for now)

However, I'm using a work flow like this:
    shoot/edit in adobeRGB
    convert to sRGB for web publish
    let canned printer profile handle color conversion if sending to my inkjet.

So, do it need to calibrate my printer? Assuming my canned profile is good (im using matching paper) and my printer is new, I shouldn;t need right? unless there is a specific printer fault that alters my colors?

Is that right? im not sure about this part....
    If you have a correct printer/ink/paper colour profile in place then you don't need to calibrate your printer. Some paper manufacturers may provide the profile for their paper for some printer models using the original ink. Different paper will have different gain for the different colour inks so changing paper brands will also affect the colour.

The most accurate way is to use a spectrometer based print profiler but that is expensive. I'm using Profile Prism which comes with a standard calibrated colour chart and used for scanner based printer profiling.

I would say the prints from my Canon iP6600D (6-colour) on Fujifilm Photo paper after calibration are very close to my monitor which is calibrated with Spyder3Elite. My room light is Philips tricolour fluorescence.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    If you have a correct printer/ink/paper colour profile in place then you don't need to calibrate your printer. Some paper manufacturers may provide the profile for their paper for some printer models using the original ink. Different paper will have different gain for the different colour inks so changing paper brands will also affect the colour.

The most accurate way is to use a spectrometer based print profiler but that is expensive. I'm using Profile Prism which comes with a standard calibrated colour chart and used for scanner based printer profiling.

I would say the prints from my Canon iP6600D (6-colour) on Fujifilm Photo paper after calibration are very close to my monitor which is calibrated with Spyder3Elite. My room light is Philips tricolour fluorescence.
    thanks! that cleared up some of my enquiries.

speaking of ambient light, my teacher told me he built his digital dark room with grey painted walls and double florensence tubing. of which 1 tube is 5800k green, and the other 6200k magnata. so that we can view the near full range of colors correctly, on screen and and print. is that necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    Anyone is using Spyder Express? Thought of getting it. Any advice?
    im using spyder2express cos im a cheapo noob. its decent for its price but not feature rich.

i think the most important thing you wish to ask is. What is the purpose of my photography? Because that answer alone also answers your needs. To ask which callibration device should I go with is similar to asking which camera should I start with.

And of course, entry level callibration is still better than none at all.

Questions include:

What is the purpose of your photography? Do you sell them as web images or as prints?
    Do you do your own prints?
    Do you require archival quality?
    Do you work in a light-controlled environment or are you always on the move?

I think the best answer would be this... http://www.amazon.com/Color-Confiden.../dp/0782143164

Color management is not something you can learn within a day. Best is to take your time, read a book and do it properly right from the start.

Hope that helps. Cheers!
    Last edited by hazmee; 23rd November 2009 at 01:55 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast