Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the method to calibrate your monitor?

Default What are the method to calibrate your monitor?

Hi as above, trying to find out how you guys calibrate your monitor at home and send for printing. Been reading on calibrating software etc but not on the method.

These are the 2 method im not very sure of:

1) Calibrate your monitor at night with lights on/off?

2) Calibrate your monitor in the day with natural ambient light shine into your room?

Does monitor calibrated in the day or night has a huge, big or not much difference?

I usually work on my pics in the afternoon and night time which i believe most ppl are doing so. I believe calibration is to what we are seeing and ambient lighting might affect what we see in different lighting conditions correct me if im wrong.

Please enlighten me thanks. will be very appreciate on your reply

Default Re: What are the method to calibrate your monitor?

best is have dark surroundings when calibrating or you can try draping a piece of velvet over the monitor when it's doing the final color profilings.

as for print matching, you'll need a viewing box with lamps at the same white point as your monitor.
    sigh.

From my own experience, it doesn't really matter as it is only based on the calibrator that I am currently using.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    best is have dark surroundings when calibrating or you can try draping a piece of velvet over the monitor when it's doing the final color profilings.

as for print matching, you'll need a viewing box with lamps at the same white point as your monitor.
    ic i calibrated mine at night with lights off. the viewing box with lamps to place at the monitor while calibrating or ? a little confused with it

I calibrate in the night, with my curtains drawn, the only light in the room is from the monitor itself.

Quote Originally Posted by agape01 View Post
    From my own experience, it doesn't really matter as it is only based on the calibrator that I am currently using.
    ic.. im using spyder 3 pro.. i heard that the eye one match 3 is good any idea whats the difference and only mac has it or?

Quote Originally Posted by wdEvA View Post
    I calibrate in the night, with my curtains drawn, the only light in the room is from the monitor itself.
    ic thanks alot haha same as me too..

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinDestiny View Post
    ic.. im using spyder 3 pro.. i heard that the eye one match 3 is good any idea whats the difference and only mac has it or?
    I'm using the spyder3pro as well.. hmm from reviews the eyeone seems better, but more exp too. if i'm not wrong, it can be used for mac and windows.

I'm using the spyder3pro as well.. hmm from reviews the eyeone seems better, but more exp too. if i'm not wrong, it can be used for mac and windows.
    oh ic.. any idea roughly how much it cost and which shop has it mscolor, cathay etc?

oh ic.. any idea roughly how much it cost and which shop has it mscolor, cathay etc?
    hmm, i'm not sure how much it cost, haven't seem them locally.
    probably some bros here can help?

I have not used any other monitor calibrator other than eye-one.

If you are thinking of upgrading, get the colormunki as you can profile paper also that is if you are doing your own printing.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post

ic i calibrated mine at night with lights off. the viewing box with lamps to place at the monitor while calibrating or ? a little confused with it
    Interesting.
    When I bought from CP, the handsome man told me that no need to turn off lights lah... this and that lah... Just go ahead and calibrate with your ambience light..
    That is what I have been doing.
    Am I missing something here?
    Can anyone of you explain to me a little bit on this dark environment issue? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Interesting.
    When I bought from CP, the handsome man told me that no need to turn off lights lah... this and that lah... Just go ahead and calibrate with your ambience light..
    That is what I have been doing.
    Am I missing something here?
    Can anyone of you explain to me a little bit on this dark environment issue? Thanks.
    we are doing it in the dark because the ambient or room light can cast light onto your monitor in the process and render it inaccurate. what u want is an accurate reading of your monitor without influence from other light source.

one question: how are you going to compare prints with display if you turn off the ambiance lights?

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    we are doing it in the dark because the ambient or room light can cast light onto your monitor in the process and render it inaccurate. what u want is an accurate reading of your monitor without influence from other light source.
    flipfreak, thanks for explaining it to me.

there is an option in Spyder to take ambient light into consideration when doing monitor calibration. I usually just calibrate my screen at night with the room lights on so that my Spyder2pro calibrates my monitor based on the environment I work and not purely on what is generated from the monitor itself.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    there is an option in Spyder to take ambient light into consideration when doing monitor calibration. I usually just calibrate my screen at night with the room lights on so that my Spyder2pro calibrates my monitor based on the environment I work and not purely on what is generated from the monitor itself.
    That is a very good point. Calibrate it with external factors taken into account.

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    unfortunately i am using the cheapo express.

unfortunately i am using the cheapo express.
    Maybe that is why when I bought my Spyder 3 Pro from Cathay, the man told me not to worry too much about lighting around me... Just calibrate, he said...
    Well, I will still give your dark room idea a try the next round.
    Thanks again, flipfreak.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Maybe that is why when I bought my Spyder 3 Pro from Cathay, the man told me not to worry too much about lighting around me... Just calibrate, he said...
    Well, I will still give your dark room idea a try the next round.
    Thanks again, flipfreak.
    haha. sorry my bad. i should upgrade to a better calibrator soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast