Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: December Hong Kong trip

Default Re: December Hong Kong trip

hey there. my dad's restaurant are kinda everywhere, just rmb the name and its coconut tree logo!

and to narutiment - shopping wise. for teenagers i would recommend a few. there are brands which prices around topman's. its called izzue, and also chocoolate. their stuffs are pretty cool. other than that, theres a very small mall in mongkok. its called 潮流特区。 but i would say try to avoid going on weekends. its gonna be super duper packed and the mall is really tiny. heh, good things in hk are usually not recorded in those travel books. cept for common places. 'the peak' has good views, i think its worth going. well, im very much living in sg so not exactly very good in recommending. i only go back every december. let me check with my sis then i might try to post more worth-going places!

4 weeks to go for my HK trip
    EOS 40D;50mm f1.4 ; Lancer EX Sports 2.0
    Fan of Man Utd since 1977

I just came back from HK a week ago.

I was fortunate to be blessed with good weather.

From The Peak:

This is my third visit to HK. The other two times I went there in December everyday was grey and misty. It was a waste of time to go up the Peak to take photos.

A Camera shop in Tsim Sha Tsui:

I didn't walk inside any camera shop because I didn't have any money or credit card. I only brought a 18-50mm lens and two batteries and two 2 gig CF cards with me to HK. But after a week there I came home with 6 CDs and 4 DVDs of photos.

I even took photos inside the hotel room:

They supplied several fresh fruits and bottled water everyday. I ate and drunk them all for lunch because I was hungry and didn't have enough money.

One thing my HK relatives warned me not to go to Mongkok because of the acid throwing incidents.
    Last edited by Sion; 22nd November 2009 at 09:28 AM.

oh, can i just ask. can tripods be brought on board? or must it be sent together with the luggage?

you can try ur luck. i think the regulations are with regards to the length of ur tripod.
    wish i could go to hk!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by narutiment View Post
    which place would you normally shop in?
    It would depend on what you're looking for.

My favorite mall is located near the Central MTR Station. I don't remember the name of the mall, but there's Harvey Nichols inside. It has some high end boutiques also. Sometimes I also shop at Harbour City. Oh, and the area around Harbour City is good as well.

My mom and sister usually go to Lai Chi Kok (if I'm not mistaken) to buy stuff. If you wanna buy some shady electronics (like cell phones or even cameras) at unbelievable price, you might wanna try Mongkok.

There is a beef stall that is nice near TST Called Tak Fat (德發牛丸) at Haiphon Road (海防道), not known by many tourist but known to the locals(appearantly). And if u r going to macau u must try out the Lord Stow's Bakery at coloane village and Gelatina Mok Yi Kei(dunno the address). Happy holidays to u

Quote Originally Posted by Death-star View Post
    oh, can i just ask. can tripods be brought on board? or must it be sent together with the luggage?
    Tripods is ok, but hand carry walking stick (not sure about monopod) from HK to SG is a no no.

I'm going HK too!!
    From 24th to 28th, gonna spend x'mas with my gf. so excited.
    Any places to recommend? i'm still searching for it.

we like nice cafe and restaurant.
    Nikon D90 | 18-200mm VR | 50mm f1.8| Tokina 11-16mm f2.8|Sigma 30mm f1.4 |SB900
    Sony W300

Quote Originally Posted by Death-star View Post
    hey there. my dad's restaurant are kinda everywhere, just rmb the name and its coconut tree logo!

and to narutiment - shopping wise. for teenagers i would recommend a few. there are brands which prices around topman's. its called izzue, and also chocoolate. their stuffs are pretty cool. other than that, theres a very small mall in mongkok. its called 潮流特区。 but i would say try to avoid going on weekends. its gonna be super duper packed and the mall is really tiny. heh, good things in hk are usually not recorded in those travel books. cept for common places. 'the peak' has good views, i think its worth going. well, im very much living in sg so not exactly very good in recommending. i only go back every december. let me check with my sis then i might try to post more worth-going places!
    yeah thx! will check them out!

wow it seems like hk is a very popular place to go during this year-end festive season! Most flights are being booked up!

Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars View Post
    I'm going HK too!!

Disney HK?
    Ocean World ?

Sorry I dont know much on cafe and restaurant...
    EOS 40D;50mm f1.4 ; Lancer EX Sports 2.0
    Fan of Man Utd since 1977

I feel Tsui Wah (翠华) is not bad, the price per meal is averagely 60HKD per person, consider cheap and decent food.

In TST Carnavon Rd there is a branch there.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars View Post
    I'm going HK too!!

HK is great, Sentosa too! in Singapore!
    especially now that Universal Studios theme park and Marine Life Park is soon to open.
    excitiing!

Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post
    I feel Tsui Wah (翠华) is not bad, the price per meal is averagely 60HKD per person, consider cheap and decent food.

In TST Carnavon Rd there is a branch there.
    ok will try out!

Quote Originally Posted by Christan99 View Post
    HK is great, Sentosa too! in Singapore!
    especially now that Universal Studios theme park and Marine Life Park is soon to open.
    excitiing!
    ahh but it will be S$72 for entry into the theme park. Though its considered reasonably priced in this globe, I still can't imagine how much a family has to pay for a 2nd entry!

Quote Originally Posted by narutiment View Post
    ok will try out!

ahh but it will be S$72 for entry into the theme park. Though its considered reasonably priced in this globe, I still can't imagine how much a family has to pay for a 2nd entry!
    yeah I know, it's pretty expensive.. but it's worth it.
    been saving for it for a long holiday vacae

if u guys are buying electronic stuff.

Can go shenzhen!
    Really have some cheap , ok phone..

and even have PSP..

And can even bargain!!!!
    SAMSUNG HMX- H100
    Videography :)

Quote Originally Posted by sonyboy View Post
    if u guys are buying electronic stuff.

Can go shenzhen!
    Really have some cheap , ok phone..

and even have PSP..

And can even bargain!!!!
    Shenzhen is famous for fake stuff! I bought some fake watches there
    My dad bought some fake iphones, which really don't look like an iphone at all, over there, and he gave those phones to his employees haha. They have fake Nokia there, but the brand is Nokla or Nokio hahahaha. You should really check it out! There's a market just next to the immigration (if you take MTR from Hong Kong) building. The shops sell 100% fake stuff. It's awesome!

And if you do shop there, please bargain... and bargain hard! If the seller quotes you RMB 100, you should bargain until crazy. Ask for RMB 30. And trust me, you will get it for RMB 30.
    Last edited by TheStig; 2nd December 2009 at 11:21 PM.

any more good places for shopping and food?

Since this thread's about HK, I came across this Lonely Planet free 4 book guide.

Download it while it's still available: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/campaign...tourism-board/

Quote Originally Posted by andretan View Post
    Since this thread's about HK, I came across this Lonely Planet free 4 book guide.

Download it while it's still available: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/campaign...tourism-board/

Thanks for this small guide.
    Nevertheless HK tourist board seems the ultimate useful free info provider - their website, and their brochures at airport

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast