View Poll Results: Which Colour Space/ Profile???

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • RGB

7 46.67%
  • SRGB

8 53.33%
  • CMYK

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Colour Space/ Profile???

Default Re: Which Colour Space/ Profile???

ok bear with me..

before reading this thread, my Camera Raw, photoshop, and camera were all set to sRGB workspace.

after editing my pictures, on "saving for web" there is an option to compare the edited photo and the saved photo side by side. on sRGB, there is no difference in the two images (i suppose this is because sRGB workspace was used throughout the whole process from camera to ACR to pshop).

after reading this thread, i tried setting my camera, ACR and pshop to adobeRGB.
    after editing, "saving for web", and checking the "convert to SRGB" option, comparing the two images side by side show a difference in colour, contrast and saturation..

is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Roasty View Post
    ok bear with me..

before reading this thread, my Camera Raw, photoshop, and camera were all set to sRGB workspace.

after editing my pictures, on "saving for web" there is an option to compare the edited photo and the saved photo side by side. on sRGB, there is no difference in the two images (i suppose this is because sRGB workspace was used throughout the whole process from camera to ACR to pshop).

after reading this thread, i tried setting my camera, ACR and pshop to adobeRGB.
    after editing, "saving for web", and checking the "convert to SRGB" option, comparing the two images side by side show a difference in colour, contrast and saturation..

is this normal?
    You suppose correctly regarding the workflow and the contrast and saturation change when converting between sRGB and Adobe RGB (1998 etc) is quite noticable.

As stated by myself and others, sRGB is a limited colour subset of Adobe RGB,

A visual way of expressing this is:

|------------------------------------|<- White: Adobe RGB colour range
    black
    |----------------------| <- White: sRGB colour range

As can be seen the totaly dynamic range (black to white) of colours is covered, but in sRGB there are fewer shades of colour (tones) to choose from. This will effect the hue and saturation as well as the contrast when converting. The subject matter of the image will determine the differences in apparent contrast etc and it does change from image to image.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Ian; 27th November 2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: fix formatting problem in gamut diagram
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You suppose correctly regarding the workflow and the contrast and saturation change when converting between sRGB and Adobe RGB (1998 etc) is quite noticable.

As stated by myself and others, sRGB is a limited colour subset of Adobe RGB,

A visual way of expressing this is:

|------------------------------------| Adobe RGB colour range
    black White
    |----------------------| <- sRGB colour range
    white

As can be seen the totaly dynamic range (black to white) of colours is covered, but in sRGB there are fewer shades of colour (tones) to choose from. This will effect the hue and saturation as well as the contrast when converting. The subject matter of the image will determine the differences in apparent contrast etc and it does change from image to image.

Hope this helps.

thank you! the diagram and accompanying explanation makes it a lot easier to understand.

given the above, do you find it disconcerting that during the editing process with adobeRGB you are seeing one range of colours, but upon saving for the web as SRGB you get a different image? wouldnt that makes it somewhat of a necessity to guess what the final image may end up looking like?

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    lol so now we have 2 brooks students here. is caleb your classmate or something?
    James, there are two photography departments in the school.

He must be in the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    wow wished i knew what i wanted earlier in my life, den maybe i can join a pro photo school. was already 3/4ways thru my crappy EEE course at NTU before i devoted my passion into photography.
    The first 4 classes really tests your passion... the rest of it tests your dedication.

Each class that you are paying for can buy Pro level DSLR if not at least long tele lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Roasty View Post
    thank you! the diagram and accompanying explanation makes it a lot easier to understand.

given the above, do you find it disconcerting that during the editing process with adobeRGB you are seeing one range of colours, but upon saving for the web as SRGB you get a different image? wouldnt that makes it somewhat of a necessity to guess what the final image may end up looking like?
    You get used to it after a while. The conversion should be painless but sometimes isn't with colour blocking and other interesting things happening. The image will always be the same but the amount of colour shift can be very noticable at first.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You get used to it after a while. The conversion should be painless but sometimes isn't with colour blocking and other interesting things happening. The image will always be the same but the amount of colour shift can be very noticable at first.
    thanks again! will try out this workflow and hopefully as you mentioned i'll eventually get used to it.

for those needing a crash course in color confidence, can start here : http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...anagement1.htm
    sigh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12