View Poll Results: Which Colour Space/ Profile???

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • RGB

7 46.67%
  • SRGB

8 53.33%
  • CMYK

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Colour Space/ Profile???

Default Which Colour Space/ Profile???

Dear all,

I have recently encountered a nagging problem with my photoshop CS 4 and Light room 2.

Conditions:
    Currently using a mac
    Lightroom2 (Photopro2)
    Photoshop CS4 (CMYK)

What happend?
    I installed both programs after getting a mac. As usual am doing some photo editing when i discovered that the colours rendered on the two platforms are different.

>> Have changed both the colour profiles to RGB. The same which i used for my photoshop previously.

Now here is the problem:
    While resolving the above problem, i checked from various online sources that:-

CMYK: Better for printing
    RGB: Everyday/ everything is compatible and using this colour profile.
    SRGB: ???

Is there a winning standard between the three and which one is more suitable for everyday use? Poll your choices and post why?

Ps: I do print my photos sometimes for fun. Else most of the time just posting online or keeping it in my hard disk.

Thank you all for reading
    Last edited by Snapperholic; 10th November 2009 at 08:56 PM.
    Canon: 5DMKIII & 40D|17-40L|70-200f4ISL|100Macro|Sigma30|580EXII| Olympus: EP3|25mm f1.4

Default Re: Which Colour Space/ Profile???

ECI RGB is the way to go. It has the right white point.

Hi there, as per my earlier post, i corrected the display for the two platforms but but have a brand new one.... Seems like when i tried posting my photo into facebook, the colours appear very dull.... Anyone know the reason?
    Canon: 5DMKIII & 40D|17-40L|70-200f4ISL|100Macro|Sigma30|580EXII| Olympus: EP3|25mm f1.4

Quote Originally Posted by qookhoo View Post
    ECI RGB is the way to go. It has the right white point.
    Does this means that others have the wrong white point?
    ICC profiles are just numeric data, applying or rendering it is a challenge.

sRGB is becoming a "standard", most devices support it. From imput to view to print.
    Most printers (consumer) use RGB print drivers, cannot control CMYK.
    Highend printers use a RIP, rasterise RGB to CMYK.
    just1book, no kidding!

The web is optimised for sRGB images.

RGB has a wider gamut than sRGB (also known as "Bruce"). sRGB uses a smaller set of colours in otherwords.

CMYK is for colour seperation work and shouldn't be used for web work or for printing in normal circumstances unless using a professional printer, either RIP enabled or offset or similar.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

SRGB. easy for shooting, printing and editing...
    Bokelicious Photography : www.bokelicious.net --- Facebook.com/bokelicious

Wow~ Seems like RGB and SRGB has the most support....

Anyway, tried using RGB and found that the colours were very different from what i exported or saved in PS or Lightroom 2.

Seems duller~

Any one have any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperholic View Post
    Seems duller~

Only after uploading to Facebook? You do realize that facebook re-compresses images as it's not designed to be a picture hosting site, right?
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperholic View Post
    Wow~ Seems like RGB and SRGB has the most support....

Anyway, tried using RGB and found that the colours were very different from what i exported or saved in PS or Lightroom 2.

Seems duller~

RGB has a wider gamut (colour range) than sRGB which is really a subset of RGB. If your shots look dull then I'd be looking at your entire colour accuracy from the camera through to the printing stage with special emphasis on accurate monitor colour and contrast.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Noted~

Colours on rendered in lightroom and PS seemed ok. issue here is after processing and exporting to normal JPEG file

Thanks for help out~

If your web broswer doesn't have color management, SRGB is the way to go.
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

i recommend shooting and editing in adobeRGB. (means setting your default profile IN PHOTOSHOP to adobeRGB)

Then right before you print (for web or press or inkjet) you convert.
    For web, convert to sRGB before publishing, reason being more than 80% of the world is using color unmanaged browsers and their default WINDOWS profile is sRGB. And to save space/bandwidth and incase of accidents, i strip icc profiles before i publish web images. (if im not wrong, if you convert to sRGB b4 posting to fb, there wont be any shifts coz fb strips icc profiles.)

For Press print, (means send to pro printers), convert to CMYK before sending.

For Inkjet home printing, dont do any convert. let the printer profile handle it.

By converting, i mean in photoshop > image > convert to profile. do note that that degrades color, so dont do it more than once or twice.

There is a VERY long story behind this workflow of mine. basically this is a standard professional workflow. you can read all about it here. i recommend a comfy chair and hot coffee if you are going to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    i recommend shooting and editing in adobeRGB. (means setting your default profile IN PHOTOSHOP to adobeRGB)

For web, convert to sRGB before publishing, reason being more than 80% of the world is using color unmanaged browsers and their default WINDOWS profile is sRGB. And to save space/bandwidth and incase of accidents, i strip icc profiles before i publish web images. (if im not wrong, if you convert to sRGB b4 posting to fb, there wont be any shifts coz fb strips icc profiles.)

For Inkjet home printing, dont do any convert. let the printer profile handle it.

By converting, i mean in photoshop > image > convert to profile. do note that that degrades color, so dont do it more than once or twice.

There is a VERY long story behind this workflow of mine. basically this is a standard professional workflow. you can read all about it here. i recommend a comfy chair and hot coffee if you are going to read it.

Yes, professional workflow, serious players.
    For the rest of the prosumer/amatuer photogs, use sRGB thruoughout.
    just1book, no kidding!

don't bother with CMYK unless you are sending out your images for offset printing... and even then, it might be a good idea to let the printer have your RGB image, give them a printed colour proof, and then ask them to convert the image to CMYK and match the colour proof...

even for printing in those photo developing shops, give them sRGB files...

Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post

This method is what is being taught in Professional Photography Schools.

for print press, i normally give them full RGB and let them do the color seperation according to their media profile. reason being conversion from rgb to cmyk normally will produce quite a bit of banding and posterisation problems even in 16bit and the areas affected by the banding differs across different printing houses. so letting them do the conversion is wiser.
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by agape01 View Post
    This method is what is being taught in Professional Photography Schools.
    really? i took 2days and read it off the gballard's website. even created my own notes for myself. The website is definitely VERY messy but everything's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    for print press, i normally give them full RGB and let them do the color seperation according to their media profile. reason being conversion from rgb to cmyk normally will produce quite a bit of banding and posterisation problems even in 16bit and the areas affected by the banding differs across different printing houses. so letting them do the conversion is wiser.
    That is some chim-ology. but i guess the point is to give them the RGB (be it sRGB or adobeRGB). Thanks Clown!

I go to a professional photography school called Brooks and we use Adobe RGB 1998 for editing.
    I refuse to List my camer@ equipment here.

Quote Originally Posted by krishna91 View Post
    I go to a professional photography school called Brooks and we use Adobe RGB 1998 for editing.
    lol so now we have 2 brooks students here. is caleb your classmate or something?
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by krishna91 View Post
    wow wished i knew what i wanted earlier in my life, den maybe i can join a pro photo school. was already 3/4ways thru my crappy EEE course at NTU before i devoted my passion into photography.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast