Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: How to visit the court for a hearing?

  1. #1
    Member sonyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    733

    Default How to visit the court for a hearing?

    How am i able to visit the court for a hearing?

    Any idea like what is the requirement? procedure..and do i need to be the criminal relative or friends?


    Basically what i want to ask is...can i go in for a hearing session?
    SAMSUNG HMX- H100
    Videography :)

  2. #2
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    why not just go there and ask

    i believe it is possible

  3. #3
    Member sonyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    733

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    why not just go there and ask

    i believe it is possible
    Err, well.

    Firstly , it save me a trip to the court.

    Secondly, so many ppl here, why not ask them?
    SAMSUNG HMX- H100
    Videography :)

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    Quote Originally Posted by sonyboy View Post
    How am i able to visit the court for a hearing?

    Any idea like what is the requirement? procedure..and do i need to be the criminal relative or friends?


    Basically what i want to ask is...can i go in for a hearing session?
    Do you mean you want to go to watch the proceedure in court? Most courts around the world have open galleries for the public to attend and watch if they so wish. Closed court sessions are just that, closed to the public. Just show up at the court and enter the public gallery area. Do note that different countries have different regulations regarding behaviour but it's pretty much universal that all people in a court rise when the Judge enters and leaves the room.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  5. #5
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    Quote Originally Posted by sonyboy View Post
    Err, well.

    Firstly , it save me a trip to the court.

    Secondly, so many ppl here, why not ask them?
    there is a telephone you know
    and the people here might just give you the wrong information

  6. #6
    Member sonyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    733

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Do you mean you want to go to watch the proceedure in court? Most courts around the world have open galleries for the public to attend and watch if they so wish. Closed court sessions are just that, closed to the public. Just show up at the court and enter the public gallery area. Do note that different countries have different regulations regarding behaviour but it's pretty much universal that all people in a court rise when the Judge enters and leaves the room.
    Yeah, i am talking about singapore.
    I want to watch the procedure in court.

    I dont know the schecule also..
    SAMSUNG HMX- H100
    Videography :)

  7. #7

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    people these days, like to ask ask ask.

    i can find the information on government website, you cannot?


    All hearings in the Supreme Court, except for hearings that take place in the Judges' or Registrars' chambers, are open to the public. However, in sensitive cases involving the testimony of a vulnerable witness, for example, hearings may be closed to the public. On such an occasion, there will be a sign on the door bearing the words "Hearing in Camera".
    under supreme court FAQ
    http://www.ifaq.gov.sg/supremecourt/...d_faqmain.aspx

    weekly law notices:
    http://app.supremecourt.gov.sg/default.aspx?pgID=75

  8. #8
    Senior Member jlkk76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    I rem walkin into sub court, bow and find myself a corner, sit down and listen.

  9. #9

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    lol, do u know Supreme Court got alot of senior citizen retiree type, everyday got nothing to do, they go to Supreme Court and sit in to listen to trials. If you go Supreme Court (High Court) every day, you will recognise some familiar faces around. Some more the Supreme Court air con very shiok wan. The restaurant also quite good, but quite ex.

    Subordinate Courts got fewer seats in the public gallery, so usually the policeman dun allow public to go in, or the public seats all taken.

    The trick is to see the notice board on ground floor in supreme court and see what court number got what trial. take note that chambers hearings do not permit public to attend, because chambers hearings take place in judge private chamber. Public can only attend open court hearing. Some trials are open to public, but because these trials are so popular (eg. NKF, Ming Yi monk), it is difficult to get seat because alot of the public queue up early to get a seat. Sometimes, the police do crowd control and may block public access also.
    Last edited by artspraken; 10th November 2009 at 09:01 PM.

  10. #10
    Member sonyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    733

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    Quote Originally Posted by artspraken View Post
    lol, do u know Supreme Court got alot of senior citizen retiree type, everyday got nothing to do, they go to Supreme Court and sit in to listen to trials. If you go Supreme Court (High Court) every day, you will recognise some familiar faces around. Some more the Supreme Court air con very shiok wan. The restaurant also quite good, but quite ex.

    Subordinate Courts got fewer seats in the public gallery, so usually the policeman dun allow public to go in, or the public seats all taken.

    The trick is to see the notice board on ground floor in supreme court and see what court number got what trial. take note that chambers hearings do not permit public to attend, because chambers hearings take place in judge private chamber. Public can only attend open court hearing. Some trials are open to public, but because these trials are so popular (eg. NKF, Ming Yi monk), it is difficult to get seat because alot of the public queue up early to get a seat. Sometimes, the police do crowd control and may block public access also.
    oh ok...i just saw the timetable just now on website..this friday got murder case leh!

    Quote Originally Posted by jlkk76 View Post
    I rem walkin into sub court, bow and find myself a corner, sit down and listen.
    how long is the trial ? When the trial haven start, still have to bow when there is no judge? LOL
    SAMSUNG HMX- H100
    Videography :)

  11. #11

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    if trial havent start, u wanna bow to who? lol.

    if u go in when the hearing is in process, just bow to the guy. otherwise just rise when he comes into the court.

  12. #12

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    I remember going there before for some crappy school assignment. You can just walk in but make sure you know the timing of the trial you are interested in. "hot" trials (for example the Huang Na case etc) can attract a lot of people.

  13. #13

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    Remember to visit the 'UFO' at the top :P

  14. #14
    Member sonyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    733

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Timolol View Post
    Remember to visit the 'UFO' at the top :P
    wait..what is that?
    SAMSUNG HMX- H100
    Videography :)

  15. #15
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Beside Fernando Torress
    Posts
    427

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    Quote Originally Posted by sonyboy View Post
    wait..what is that?
    Its the top of the supreme court.. the design is like a UFO shape.. you can see it from Funan IT mall or Parliment house or clark quay.

  16. #16

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    UFO is off limits to public.

    You can probably take the escalator all the way up to the entrance, but u cannot go in. It will be locked.

  17. #17
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    Think you need to arrange to visit beforehand, I went up to the UFO during a class "learning journey"

  18. #18

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    The UFO is the Court of Appeal.

  19. #19
    Member Rendell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    569

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    Quote Originally Posted by artspraken View Post
    The UFO is the Court of Appeal.
    UFOs ... If you look at all the designs from the late 70s-80s, you will find a lot of UFOs structure.

    Eg. Old Neptune, Orchard Mandarin Hotel, the Subordinate court etc ...

  20. #20
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: How to visit the court for a hearing?

    Quote Originally Posted by sonyboy View Post
    How am i able to visit the court for a hearing?

    Any idea like what is the requirement? procedure..and do i need to be the criminal relative or friends?


    Basically what i want to ask is...can i go in for a hearing session?
    subordinate courts should be easy to enter..they have trials daily. just note that cameras/video recorders are not allowed
    eat. drink. shoot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •