Thread: whatever crosses my mind

Default whatever crosses my mind

1.In what area is critique to be sought?
    I took this photo using LX3 last week during my vacation in Honolulu. I'd like to know your options about the composition, and balance between black and white.

2.What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    This meant to be a picture about losing and finding oneself. But do you feel it?

3.Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    I took it in late afternoon. I wanted to capture silhouette of a man, who appears to be lonely and thoughtful.
    4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I personally think this photo is well balanced, but I am not sure if it presents the feeling of getting lost and seeking oneself.

Feel free to comment on anything else.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by sleepyatian; 11th November 2009 at 09:49 AM.

Default Re: whatever crosses my mind

The potential of the picture is there. Not too sure about the "losing and finding oneself" though. Maybe can consider some of this for a more impactful pic:

1. Too much white spaces at the top. If the sky is beautiful, maybe consider colour? Monochrom kind of just kill it.
    2. Both the sky and the ocean have the potential to portray the feeling of vastness. A more lanscape crop could be better.
    3. The subject is too much at the corner for my liking. Shift the subject according to rule of 1/3.
    4. The pic is taken from a slightly high angle. Try squating down and taking it will provide a more interesting perspective.

my 2 cents

Thanks for your comments. very very helpful!

yup..too much sky.. and the blacks below are slightly under...

there's potential here though..u can consider framing from a few metres behind the man at eye level. the exposure might be better, u can get some nice waves going back down(depending on ur shutter speed) and some sky as well.

more waves less sky..esp when there aren't any clouds.. too much negative space above

Simplicity of the image catches my attention ... it is really abstract and not many people may understand the work.

The feeling is "Water phobia" dare not get in the water with the rest.

The horizon is not level... sorry, but that glitch alone just spoils the entire image.

nice mood, but not as good as a standalone picture. maybe as part of a series?

Sky does not seem that interesting <- no clouds whatsoever... so might as well crop it out.

Quite obvious horizontal tilt. Should try to fix that.

You should try taking a horizontal picture of this. Maybe try making the guy look smaller in the frame so that he can look more isolated/lonely.

Blog Entries

I like your darker choice of toning. I thought it worked well.

The tilt didn't work for me, if it was intentional.

The framing could be improved, I thought the person was too close to the corner.

There's no clouds..
    It would be nicer if there is clouds.

Thanks, I intentionally made it tilt to balance the whole image. But apparently it didn't work well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lekech View Post
    The horizon is not level... sorry, but that glitch alone just spoils the entire image.

Thanks. I wanted to try something different... I guess being different is not that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I like your darker choice of toning. I thought it worked well.

The tilt didn't work for me, if it was intentional.

The framing could be improved, I thought the person was too close to the corner.

good idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by wkteoh View Post
    Sky does not seem that interesting <- no clouds whatsoever... so might as well crop it out.

Quite obvious horizontal tilt. Should try to fix that.

You should try taking a horizontal picture of this. Maybe try making the guy look smaller in the frame so that he can look more isolated/lonely.