Thread: Vintage cameras

Default Vintage cameras

Does anyone here like vintage cameras? I just love 70s and 80s rangefinders and manual slrs. Not all of course, but some are really irresistable. For those who do collect or purchase them for use, where do you usually get your cameras from, and do you do your own repairs? How? TIA!

cash converters for below rock bottom prices...
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

But I don't live near one! Any idea which Cash Convertor has the 'most' number of vintage cameras? And do the cameras need a lot of repairs or cleaning?

i usually go to the ones in toa payoh and tampines... they're "on the way" home. but don't expect to find lots of vintage stuff, have to be patient. every now and then something shows up. (like an Oly trip 35 for $5.00, or a Minolta X-700 for $90 with a 35-70 f3.5 MD zoom)

most cameras there come in pretty bad shape, but nothing too serious that a little effort can't fix. my collection of 2 Yashica GSNs, 2 GTNs and 2 MG-1s came from there. some really basket cases i purchase for parts e.g. $5 for a cosmetically beautiful GTN but the shutter's completely stuck. but most are immediate users with a little cleaning.

the jurong branch has the largest collection of cameras, one time i saw an Olympus OM-1, Nikon FM and an F3 on display. you can find a Yashica FX-3 in tampines for $59, couple that with an all metal 50mm f1.8 Yashical ML lens for $60 at the same branch, and hey presto... your cooking.
    The toys

My collection! Mostly cheap, 2nd hand cameras. Not in any particular order, I have/used to have a FED-2, Minolta Hi-Matic F, Olympus Xa-2, Kodak Brownie Autographic(2?), Kodak Pony II, Lubitel 166B, LOMO L-CA, Canonet QL-17 GIII, Konica AF3D, and a Holga (does it count?). Of the above, my favorites are the Hi-Matic F and Xa-2, for their reliability and ease of use. Got them off mostly internet auction sites like e-bay and yahoo!auctions. Most of them come in good working conditions, so no need to repair. However, I don't mind trying to calibrate the FED-2 rangefinder myself if it ever goes out.

Patch17, is it ever possible to bargain with CC? Say you test the camera on the spot and it's not working, or the lens' got a spot of fungus. Did you manage to fix the GTN? I got a rangefinder cheap from someone but can't remove the lens to clean out the fungus. Any ideas? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rubric
    Patch17, is it ever possible to bargain with CC? Say you test the camera on the spot and it's not working, or the lens' got a spot of fungus. Did you manage to fix the GTN? I got a rangefinder cheap from someone but can't remove the lens to clean out the fungus. Any ideas? Thanks.
    sure bargaining is allowed at CC. but stuff under $20 bucks they don't bargain. normally you'd be able to knock about 10% off the price. as for condition of the lens, CC is not a camera shop, so they don't really know or care about the condition of the gear. they're reason is that they buy the stuff cheap, and they sell it cheap. though they will indicate if a unit is not working, or is for "display" purpose only (i.e. stuffed up) other than that, it's buy at your own risk.

as i said, you have to look around, be patient and rely on some luck to find the hidden gems. (like a sharp and clean nikkor 105 f2.5 for $25)

i haven't gotten around to fixing the GTN yet, but i've checke out some websites and it' doesn't look difficult. you'll need to remove the "skin" in order to gain access to the mechanics of the lens and electricals. an interesting project on a cold rainy day, wouldn't you say?
    The toys

i use ebay and yahoo auction.
    got a smena 8M, smena symbol, smena 35, ricoh 500g, canon ae1.
    all for very good prices. below SGD$50...not for the canon though. :P

CC is good. ha, but i hardly pass by a CC. well... :P

Default Agfa Karat 36

Hi guys, i'm thinking of buying the AGFA KARAT 36. Any of you guys here used this vintage before?

for those who don't know this model, check it out here http://cameraquest.com/agfakar4.htm

I'm currently carrying my 1954's Kodak Retina wherever i go because it's very compact and tough compare to my D70 and EOS30 but when i need to do serious shooting, morden SLR really makes my day.

let me know if anyone here uses the AGFA will like to find out more.

cheers

Likewise, its mostly Russkie cams for me

Got a Zorki-4Mir, a Zorki-6, a Fed-2, a Fed-3, a Fed-5, and a Kiev-19m.... all of them bought from ebay.

For non-Soviet stuff, I got an Argus-75 TLR and a Nikon Fg-20

Oh yeah, do check out my Russkie gallery at:

http://www.photonski.com/conan/russcams

Got an ancient Yashica camera sitting at home. According to my dad, it started to grow fungus liao.

Maybe this weekend take it out see what can I do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    Likewise, its mostly Russkie cams for me

Got a Zorki-4Mir, a Zorki-6, a Fed-2, a Fed-3, a Fed-5, and a Kiev-19m.... all of them bought from ebay.

For non-Soviet stuff, I got an Argus-75 TLR and a Nikon Fg-20

Oh yeah, do check out my Russkie gallery at:

http://www.photonski.com/conan/russcams
    didn't know that i can find someone here that carries an old camera walking around town like me. notice u have a FED, is it an awesome camera? how's the viewfinder frame like? is framing a pic with this camera difficult? i find that my Retina Ib viewfinder hopless as it don't really frame the pics like i want it to be... also, in closeup, the viewfinder is totally out and cannot be trusted.

I shot a third of a roll in estimation, that is, judge the distance, lighting and require speed and fire it looking at the object or person intead of through the viewfinder. how about u?

Default Help!!!

I think i have just send my Retina to hell... today i was out shooting, realize that the lens focal knob kinda very dif to push up and down to set the distance... it seems that the mechanical thingy inside kinda loose it's lubricant... so when i reach home, i spray some, a few spray of WD40 in the slot bay that the lever move up and dow. it works well again but iafter sometime, i realize that the WD40 had seep into the shutter curtain and aperature curtain!!! ****!!!!!! now the shutter will not close back when i press the shutter release, it got stuck due to the WD40....

what should i do now? buried it and de-xomission it or should i open up the lens element and try to dry it or should i leave it a few days under the fan to let the WD40 dry off?????

pls advice,... i'm loosing my fav camera......

Default hw abt a nikon EM?

well i found this really old cam tat my dad bought years ago.. it has 3 shutter release options: M90, B and Auto.. also u can change the ASA value, i.e., ISO Value from 25 to 1600. it shud be an SLR cuz the lenses are interchangeable. haha.. really duno how to deal with it.. shud i sell it away? u guys think its worth much?? really know nuts abt vintage cams.. hehe.. hope to hear from u guys!

i found two cameras at home recently... think they are quite old... but still seem like it can take photos.... hmmm.....
    a kodak100 and a minolta 16. think is a spy camera.... but i can't find the films... found for the kodak 100 but it expired 4 years ago ... still can't find for the minolta 16... anyone got any idea?????

Hi Stonely,

Yup, folks like us are few and far in between The FED-2's lovely to look at, but its LTM mount doesn't accept my Jupiter-12 for some reason so it doesn't go out of the drybox often. The Fed-5's cool though... viewfinder's clean and bright as Soviet RF's go, and I'd say it resembles the view of a 60mm, instead of a 50mm. These days I use my Zorki-6 with a revolving viewfinder attatched on top... looks like a cowboy six-shooter... heheheh...

Btw, if your Retina viewfinder doesn''t work, you might want to try using the old depth-of-field scale technique. It's very reliable and works even faster than an AF DSLR... how about that???

Quote Originally Posted by stonely0
    didn't know that i can find someone here that carries an old camera walking around town like me. notice u have a FED, is it an awesome camera? how's the viewfinder frame like? is framing a pic with this camera difficult? i find that my Retina Ib viewfinder hopless as it don't really frame the pics like i want it to be... also, in closeup, the viewfinder is totally out and cannot be trusted.

I shot a third of a roll in estimation, that is, judge the distance, lighting and require speed and fire it looking at the object or person intead of through the viewfinder. how about u?

Hmmm... maybe the Minolta 16 uses 16mm film? Unfortunately nobody makes that now - but you can make your own by creating a DIY 35mm film splicer. I think they have instructions on how to make that from the web

Btw, can you post some photos of it? Sounds very intriguing....

Quote Originally Posted by sunnie_kenji
    i found two cameras at home recently... think they are quite old... but still seem like it can take photos.... hmmm.....
    a kodak100 and a minolta 16. think is a spy camera.... but i can't find the films... found for the kodak 100 but it expired 4 years ago ... still can't find for the minolta 16... anyone got any idea?????