Thread: What format do you use?

Default What format do you use?

I know there are raw shooters and there are jpeg users. They have their own reasons. But just want to ask if using Raw+JPEG is advisable, is it not slowing down my image processing? Is there an effect with action shots or how fast the camera process the image? I usually do this, I use raw when I want to PP and jpeg when I'm too lazy to PP. Is this practice ok? any disadvantage doing this?

Default Re: What format do you use?

uses more memory space.
    camera buffer not big enough if u keep using multi-frame shots (pro body might help this problem a bit)
    eat. drink. shoot

Make sure your memory card is also fast enough to help the camera flush it's buffer faster.
    Alpha

RAW+JPG means: the camera needs to write the RAW image to the card, followed by processing a copy of it into JPG (according your presets) and then writing this 2nd image also to the card. Obviously that will consume more time than just writing a single image. Get the fastest card your camera can support (no point having faster card, camera can't utilize it), format regularly (in computer) to remove any inconsistencies in the file system (the one used in most cards is the same buggy thing that Windows 9x used).
    EOS

If you have the memory space and read/write speed, why not? I usually just use jpeg though. RAW when I know I'll be editing extensively.

depends on the photographer....if the picture can be further improved then Raw but if its the best you can get then jpeg.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

I'm a RAW shooter only..... RAW by itself already takes up too much 'space'....

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    I'm a RAW shooter only..... RAW by itself already takes up too much 'space'....
    Wait till SXDC becomes mainstream...the manufacturers will die die have to outsource for faster image processors. i wouldnt be surprised if they are not in talks with intel right now.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by supermike View Post
    I know there are raw shooters and there are jpeg users. They have their own reasons. But just want to ask if using Raw+JPEG is advisable, is it not slowing down my image processing? Is there an effect with action shots or how fast the camera process the image? I usually do this, I use raw when I want to PP and jpeg when I'm too lazy to PP. Is this practice ok? any disadvantage doing this?
    Get a fast card, then shoot both Raw and Jpeg.... in any case, card not so expensive like last time.... for me I use both format...... reason is.... some moment will never return again.... at that point in time, you need to capture it..... if use Jpeg... scally miss-q, that's it.... with Raw can salvage a bit..... but if capture swee swee, then just use the Jpeg... no need waste time to post process..... best of both world......