View Poll Results: Astronomy tips and how to.. Do you want it?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I'm interested and want it

45 65.22%
  • I might be interested

20 28.99%
  • not interested

4 5.80%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Astrophotography tips file

Default Astrophotography tips file

I'm considering writing a simple how-to for people interested in attempting astrophotorraphy with both digital and film based cameras. However before starting the project I'd like to guage how much interest there is amongst the users here.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Ah Ian, first thing is, will the tips require MORE equipment?

Originally posted by YSLee
    Ah Ian, first thing is, will the tips require MORE equipment?
    Read from some posts in dpreview that unless u r into Astronomy and have the equipments like telescopes, its not worth to acquire the equipments...

Just my 2cents...

Confession time.

Yesterday the moon was so bright I stacked my 70-200 on top of my 1.4X and newly acquired 2X teleconverter and pointed it at the moon. Took a few shots with 2nd curtain sync and manual focus, but auto exposure. Looked all right on the LCD. Downloaded the pictures to the computer - ARGH! Severely overexposed moon, because the metering was for the entire frame, which included lots of black sky. Couldn't save any of the shots.

Lesson number one: check the histogram, and use spot metering or exposure compensation -2 or something like that.

Yes, some tips would be interesting. But this is merely a technical exercise, not something I would really get into.

On the contrary, shooting the moon should be done as per daylight shooting.

If you want to shoot stars, expose for the stars. If want to shoot moon, expose for the moon. These 2 subjects are too many stops apart and cannot be accepted by film concurrently, which I remember only 6 stops. The naked eye can see much more.

Default Re: Astrophotography tips file

Originally posted by Ian
    I'm considering writing a simple how-to for people interested in attempting astrophotorraphy with both digital and film based cameras. However before starting the project I'd like to guage how much interest there is amongst the users here.
    Will be good... even if we do not have the require equipment, we still can learn something from it, after all it's a Knowledage base economy..

Hope to see the notes or file soon.

Ian, while you are at this, please post your "Black Art of Scanning" as well. Thanks!

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by darr
    On the contrary, shooting the moon should be done as per daylight shooting.

If you want to shoot stars, expose for the stars. If want to shoot moon, expose for the moon. These 2 subjects are too many stops apart and cannot be accepted by film concurrently, which I remember only 6 stops. The naked eye can see much more.

Hi darr!

You are right!

Hello Streetshooter!

Use the Sunny 16 Rule on the Moon (ie. f/16) and use the inverse of the ISO you are using to shoot the moon.

Perhaps you would like to try again since youe are using digital. Poor me using still film camera......... sigh

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    Confession time.

Yesterday the moon was so bright I stacked my 70-200 on top of my 1.4X and newly acquired 2X teleconverter and pointed it at the moon. Took a few shots with 2nd curtain sync and manual focus, but auto exposure. Looked all right on the LCD. Downloaded the pictures to the computer - ARGH! Severely overexposed moon, because the metering was for the entire frame, which included lots of black sky. Couldn't save any of the shots.

Lesson number one: check the histogram, and use spot metering or exposure compensation -2 or something like that.

Yes, some tips would be interesting. But this is merely a technical exercise, not something I would really get into.
    Hello, you might wanna check this beauty out.

http://www.offstone.com/photo/messag...tml?1020012283

if possible to shoot stars with D30 (with acceptable picture).....may be get an adapater for my friend's telescope and try out...

his telescope body itself cost over $5k, one eye piece for $3k, and i think all these accessories adds up together will be more than $10k already

wah...astronmomy is even more expensive then photography
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

I've started drafting the 'how to'
    It should be ready in a week or two depending on my workload.

Stay tuned for further developments.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    Confession time.

Yesterday the moon was so bright I stacked my 70-200 on top of my 1.4X and newly acquired 2X teleconverter and pointed it at the moon. Took a few shots with 2nd curtain sync and manual focus, but auto exposure.

Did you use flash to take the photo of the moon????

How can that be possible????? Why did I missed that "2nd curtain sync" earlier?

i'm very interested.... but my Fujifilm Finepix 2800Z can only take me as far as this full moon shot I've already use my 6x zoom... sigh....If only i have the $$$ to buy better equipments.
    Last edited by Ling Nightsky; 16th May 2002 at 02:54 PM.

Astrophotography How-To Update

Just to let you all know the file's basic contents are now in place, am starting on the accompanying graphics and adding some extra information on advanced topics. At the current rate it should be completed in a few weeks time and will be a one stop resource for any photographer wishing to try their hand at astrophotography.
    The Ang Moh from Hell

Originally posted by Ian

Just to let you all know the file's basic contents are now in place, am starting on the accompanying graphics and adding some extra information on advanced topics. At the current rate it should be completed in a few weeks time and will be a one stop resource for any photographer wishing to try their hand at astrophotography.
    thanks for the great effort, Ian

Hi Ian,
    that will be great!!!
    hopefully it will cover what equipments are needed.

I've got a CP990. My bro a celestron scope. someday, I need to figure out how to rig this 2 stuffs together

Originally posted by Ian

Thanks Ian.. Let us know once it's done...

My friend have this portaball telescope

cos the design of this telescope is very special, so he wants to know how can a digital camera can be attached to it

best if can attach my D30
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast