Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to photography! Recommend me a camera!

Default Re: New to photography! Recommend me a camera!

Quote Originally Posted by ahmahippo View Post
    Sorry TS to bring this thread up for u...
    as for me, I too into DSLR and my budget is just like yours.
    As I am going overseas next mth, that's why I could not get a high end dslr.

I have done some searching, I am currently checking on Sony A230 and A330
    however I was told by people that Sony wx1 is good too however it is not dslr.

I am kind of lost. Aren't sure which to go for.
    Look into the A500.
    Alpha

o0 A500 a little out of my budget :P

Sorry TS to bring this thread up for u...
    as for me, I too into DSLR and my budget is just like yours.
    As I am going overseas next mth, that's why I could not get a high end dslr.

I have done some searching, I am currently checking on Sony A230 and A330
    however I was told by people that Sony wx1 is good too however it is not dslr.

I am kind of lost. Aren't sure which to go for.
    o0 A500 a little out of my budget :P
    Try to spend within your means.
    Do you currently own a camera?
    If so, why do you want to replace it with a DSLR?
    Is it because... "so I can take great pictures whilst I'm overseas" ??
    If so, what gave you that idea?
    Exploring! :)

If u need a camera for ur overseas trip, then u might wanna buy a compact as its much easier to carry around. Only buy a dslr if u really wanna pick up photography as a hobby.

That being said, look at the BnS forum for bargains. Keep in mind that brand new a230 with lens cost around $600, and a330 with lens cost $800 from retail shops, then do ur own judgement on how much to pay for 2nd hands. Generally 2nd hands will be a few hundred cheaper.
    Last edited by android17; 17th November 2009 at 12:02 PM.

I would suggest something really old. So that because of its limitations, you are forced to improve your skills and knowledge. And not depend on things like high Iso, etc. Something like a D70s with its 18 - 70kit lens would be my choice of camera.
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Try to spend within your means.
    Do you currently own a camera?
    If so, why do you want to replace it with a DSLR?
    Is it because... "so I can take great pictures whilst I'm overseas" ??
    If so, what gave you that idea?
    Hi, i am thinking of taking DSLR not really just for the overseas taking photos but thinking to take a good pictures to edit them using photoshop and do animation. lol.
    well as my current salary could not able me to get a better DSLR yet.

Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    If u need a camera for ur overseas trip, then u might wanna buy a compact as its much easier to carry around. Only buy a dslr if u really wanna pick up photography as a hobby.

That being said, look at the BnS forum for bargains. Keep in mind that brand new a230 with lens cost around $600, and a330 with lens cost $800 from retail shops, then do ur own judgement on how much to pay for 2nd hands. Generally 2nd hands will be a few hundred cheaper.
    Lately I find myself in love with taking photos whenever I go.

Quote Originally Posted by smile_gerard View Post
    I would suggest something really old. So that because of its limitations, you are forced to improve your skills and knowledge. And not depend on things like high Iso, etc. Something like a D70s with its 18 - 70kit lens would be my choice of camera.
    Is D70 good?

D70s has a bigger lcd compared to the D70.
    Its a great camera for its time. But its no match in terms of speed, iso, lcd size.
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

oh ok thanks. I am currently looking at the spec.

if limited budgetm y not olympus e450, 420 or 410? can get them 2nd hand, plus a good system of ZD lenses to boot.

the kit lens is very capable.

thanks... i will check them out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmahippo
    Hi, i am thinking of taking DSLR not really just for the overseas taking photos but thinking to take a good pictures to edit them using photoshop and do animation. lol.
    well as my current salary could not able me to get a better DSLR yet.

Lately I find myself in love with taking photos whenever I go.

Is D70 good?

Depending on the kind of pictures you want to take, whatever camera you currently own may also be capable enough. Perhaps you have not maximized your camera's potential yet
    I understand that finances limit most of our buying decisions. Thus I stress again to buy within your means.

D70 is a very capable camera, though it's a bit long in the tooth already. Such is the way that technology advances, a camera that is a few years old seems like a dinosaur compared with the latest releases.

Do share with us a few things:
    1) How often you go out to specially photograph things within say... a month

2) How much you can comfortably spend on photography equipment

3) What kind of photos are you intending to take?

Most likely twices a week as normally I am free to do things during weekends.

As for now, I could only get to use $750 the max as I got to find a new job

was thinking to take those nice pictures such as those wide picture (where u could see the whole location/place u went). dont know the real name called.

haha, photography is an expensive hobby. Once you start, you can't stop. First, you'll be thinking that with a dslr camera, you can instantly get better photos, which is not true, coz you'll find so many aspects of photography to be interested in that require different equipment.

Firstly, you'll probably start with a dry cabinet to protect your new found investment.

Supposing you find out you like night photography, then you're going to have to invest in a good tripod and ballhead/panhead to get great shots.

Maybe you'll notice that the contrast that your current lens gives you isn't that great, then you can consider buying a polarising filter. After which, if you've done your homework, you'll learn that there are special filters which will help you get different effects, like taking a better sunrise/sunset, you might just decide to get those as well.

If you like architectural photography, then you gotta get a wide angle zoom or even a fisheye lens.

Then you discover CS has photoshoot outings with hot babes every weekend and you decide you want to pick up portraiture. Your kit lens will do, but you'll need an external flash, or you might even go into getting the diffusers, gel filters, reflectors, wireless sync cables, umbrellas, soft boxes, etc. (God save you if you decide to build your own home studio)

With all your new equipment, the small sling bag you used to carry is starting to look rather tight. So you start looking at Kata, Vanguard etc. bags to fit everything in.

Well.. that's a journey you'll have to take for yourself to understand. Have fun!

hahaha you poisonous you....

It's true though.
    I though I'd buy DSLR + twin lens kit, and that's it.
    After that buy this buy that (lenses, flash, dry cabi, filters, tripod...)
    the total expenditure is about 4K, and that's considerably less than what some spend!

well if there's a quote that's stuck with me for years, it's "Aim towards the far horizon, and get there. And when you get there, you'll see even further"

Similarly with photography, "When you've bought all the equipment you thought you needed, you'll realise you need to buy even more"

LoLz...

Quote Originally Posted by ahmahippo

Most likely twices a week as normally I am free to do things during weekends.

As for now, I could only get to use $750 the max as I got to find a new job

was thinking to take those nice pictures such as those wide picture (where u could see the whole location/place u went). dont know the real name called.
    Taking into consideration your points mentioned, it's best to hold off the DSLR purchase till you're a bit more comfortable with the finances. Seriously, don't stress yourself like that.
    You mentioned wanting to take those 'wide picture', which I believe you meant panoramic shots. You could achieve such a shot with a PnS camera, a basic tripod (probably $50 or less) and photo stitching software. So if you already have a PnS camera, you're more than well on your way...

with around that budget range, i'd go for a Canon G10 or Lumix LX3. They have dSLR-like features and shoot great photos.

you don't really need a dry cabinet for your camera equipment. i've never needed one because i keep my camera in places which don't facilitate the growth of fungus. just keep the camera in a dry and cool place.
    I refuse to List my camer@ equipment here.

maybe you need to find out the price for Sony's accessories.
    Not cheap hor...

Quote Originally Posted by chewbb View Post
    maybe you need to find out the price for Sony's accessories.
    Not cheap hor...
    Really? Any example bro?
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

hmmm i'm also new to dslrs.

currently using a fujifilm f100fd. Have been thinking of getting a dslr. I cannot decide between the pentax k-x or canon 500d. The pentax seems to be rather value for $ for a start, but i'm just worried about the availability of lenses. The canon 500d with kit lens is out of my budget..

any advise?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast