Thread: Quiet Jetty

Blog Entries

Default Quiet Jetty

Click for large version

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
    I would love feedback on the composition and the choice of toning. Especially, if this picture works in B/W or a color one would be better. Comments on how I can improve on this shot will be greatly appreciated.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
    To convey the sense of peace and quiet at the location. And also trying to achieve a certain feeling of coldness/loneliness.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    This picture was taken pre-dawn while some parts of the sky are starting to light up slightly. The mood is really quiet and mostly dark. One of those times when your mind will wander off into events past, emotions and a lot of reminiscing. There were 3 jetties similar to the one seen here. Was planning to shoot a diagonal view, but arrived at location (lower seletar park @ yishun) and discovered there were quite a number of dragon boats moored there. In the end, I worked around by focusing on one jetty and doing a direct straight on composition and aligned the according to rule of thirds. Sky was quiet mucky so most of it was chopped off.
    Water was quite still, but I made sure with ND4 filter and a GND4 to balance things out. Exposure is F13, 25s, ISO200. Camera was on tripod. I chose a higher angle pointing down so as to have good separation for the vertical poles, using the reflection i the water as a backdrop.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
    I find it to be emotive and stronger in BW. But that is just my personal opinion. Would like to hear from the rest of you. How you think I can improve on this shot. Thanks!

Default Re: Quiet Jetty

i think it's a great shot..though i feel the composition can be improved

i personally find the bridge in the foreground a little distracting..don't know if it was intended because the rest of the picture has a certain element of symmetry to it.

was thinking something along the lines of this:

let me know if u want it removed.

there also seem to be a slight underexposure....was it intended? it sort of adds to the mood

I kindof agree with nysheng, the "fore bridge" seems a bit hmm, out. Maybe to do without it it seems really just the bridge and mood with the still waters. But not sure if daredevil is trying to create that "long walk" out to the still water thus attempting to create that "loneliness" of the shot also?

And i've always thought that b&w gives that stillness and calm mood to the picture. It also removes quite a bit of the "color" distractions.

Wonderful outbringing of the stillness and yet calm mood to the picture!
    Licence to shoot.

I prefer to have it the original way like daredevil123 presented.
    The foreground works as a leading element to the end of the platform.
    I feel that if we were to truncate the board, the whole picture would appear too abrupt.
    Black and white I find it good.
    There must be a reason why daredevil123 you presented it in black and white - maybe the colour of the actual photo would give it too much distraction?
    The only thing that I find slightly distracting are the lights at the background among the trees.

i think i wld have given the bridge a muted brownish hue, but very slight maybe a few pts. it would still achieve the cold/quiet/loneliness of the photo but just give the view something a little more tangible to hook onto.. but the original composition is definitely the way to go, as limwhow said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nysheng View Post
    i think it's a great shot..though i feel the composition can be improved

i personally find the bridge in the foreground a little distracting..don't know if it was intended because the rest of the picture has a certain element of symmetry to it.

was thinking something along the lines of this:

let me know if u want it removed.

there also seem to be a slight underexposure....was it intended? it sort of adds to the mood
    I did try to frame it that way, but found the jetty to be too short and abrupt. It did not lead me enough.

I was not actually going for symmetry here. As mentioned in how I shot the picture, I was more concerned about excluding the mess to the left and right of the jetty forcing me to do a straight out shot.

Thanks for your comments and observations. Much appreciated!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xhui View Post
    I kindof agree with nysheng, the "fore bridge" seems a bit hmm, out. Maybe to do without it it seems really just the bridge and mood with the still waters. But not sure if daredevil is trying to create that "long walk" out to the still water thus attempting to create that "loneliness" of the shot also?

And i've always thought that b&w gives that stillness and calm mood to the picture. It also removes quite a bit of the "color" distractions.

Wonderful outbringing of the stillness and yet calm mood to the picture!
    You nailed it. I was trying to create a lead into the end of the jetty. A slight "S" actually.

I did try a few toning choices, color, semi desaturated, sephia, bw. Went with BW in the end as it gives the most impact and projected a little of the cold and silent feeling. Glad you felt the same.

Thanks for your comments!
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th November 2009 at 08:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    I prefer to have it the original way like daredevil123 presented.
    The foreground works as a leading element to the end of the platform.
    I feel that if we were to truncate the board, the whole picture would appear too abrupt.
    Black and white I find it good.
    There must be a reason why daredevil123 you presented it in black and white - maybe the colour of the actual photo would give it too much distraction?
    The only thing that I find slightly distracting are the lights at the background among the trees.
    Yup! I thought that foreground ramp thingy really helps in the leading in. I did try to do it a little in the "S" curve manner but it is too slight I think.

Colors were just mediocre, since the sunrise was quite a mucky one. I tried different tones and BW produces the most impact, this is probably due to the light reflections on the surface of the water.

The lights didn't help also, they are satellite dishes btw, big ones.

Thanks for you time and comments!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjohn View Post
    i think i wld have given the bridge a muted brownish hue, but very slight maybe a few pts. it would still achieve the cold/quiet/loneliness of the photo but just give the view something a little more tangible to hook onto.. but the original composition is definitely the way to go, as limwhow said.
    Thanks for suggestion. I will try a very slight brownish hue and see how it turns out. Thanks! I shall post up the new version when I get it done.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th November 2009 at 08:02 PM.

how about shortening the sky a bit? did u try to see the effect? since the sky wasn't the main focus here, i somehow felt its a bit long.

i agree with limwhow and urself abt the lights and dishes. did you try the other 2 bridge to see if you can avoid bringing them into the background?

that would greatly enhance the mood you intended to show, i think
    Keep Shooting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMajor View Post
    how about shortening the sky a bit? did u try to see the effect? since the sky wasn't the main focus here, i somehow felt its a bit long.

i agree with limwhow and urself abt the lights and dishes. did you try the other 2 bridge to see if you can avoid bringing them into the background?

that would greatly enhance the mood you intended to show, i think
    The other 2 jetties were all bounded with dragon boats, as mentioned in my write-up.

Thanks for the tip on the sky. I will try it out and see.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I did try to frame it that way, but found the jetty to be too short and abrupt. It did not lead me enough.

I was not actually going for symmetry here. As mentioned in how I shot the picture, I was more concerned about excluding the mess to the left and right of the jetty forcing me to do a straight out shot.

Thanks for your comments and observations. Much appreciated!
    I like the bridge cropped also. It feels more symmetrical. Maybe, if the camera was in a lower position or even on the wooden planks themselves, it will make the bridge visually longer.

black and white versus color, doesn't matter. different moods, different merits. but if the colors are nice, i would always keep it in color, just a personal choice.

black and white should showcase the things you want to showcase, highlight what you want to stand out, put down what you want to hide.

i personally think that a bnw symmetrical cropped shot like what nysheng has suggested works very well. but that's really down to personal preference, perhaps.

for lead-ins, i thought there was no need for the forebridge. if you have uwa, try a simple one with yourself on the forebridge. s curves and the like tend to work better for winding roads, rather than straight lines that jag. a straight line is a straight line, once broken it will lose its continuity, as opposed to a curve, which is still continuous. i'm not sure if you get what i mean.

in any case, the exposure is controlled well, i think the bnw conversion is fine, and the original picture is pretty decent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tony_teo View Post
    I like the bridge cropped also. It feels more symmetrical. Maybe, if the camera was in a lower position or even on the wooden planks themselves, it will make the bridge visually longer.
    Noted. A lower vantage will force the poles off the lighter reflections and mingle them into the trees losing the separation. Tough choices... Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    black and white versus color, doesn't matter. different moods, different merits. but if the colors are nice, i would always keep it in color, just a personal choice.

black and white should showcase the things you want to showcase, highlight what you want to stand out, put down what you want to hide.

i personally think that a bnw symmetrical cropped shot like what nysheng has suggested works very well. but that's really down to personal preference, perhaps.

for lead-ins, i thought there was no need for the forebridge. if you have uwa, try a simple one with yourself on the forebridge. s curves and the like tend to work better for winding roads, rather than straight lines that jag. a straight line is a straight line, once broken it will lose its continuity, as opposed to a curve, which is still continuous. i'm not sure if you get what i mean.

in any case, the exposure is controlled well, i think the bnw conversion is fine, and the original picture is pretty decent.
    Thanks dude for your comments and pointers. The forebridge is floating. Would be a problem with long exposure standing on it, especially a guy as heavy as me.

I decided to lose the colors as I do not find the colors appealing on that particular mucky sunrise.

Thanks for your time and comments. Really appreciate it!

try at a lower angle? it can lengthen the bridge in a way.
    Nikon.
    Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by agentxq49 View Post
    try at a lower angle? it can lengthen the bridge in a way.
    can you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    can you elaborate?
    Maybe he meant, the end of the bridge nearly touch the horizon so it appears 'longer'...

nice.. very surreal.. =)

Blog Entries

Thank you all for your comments.

I do like the original picture, but I can see why nysheng has suggested to crop off the front part of the jetty. It doesn't add much to the scene, other than having the effect of lengthening it to provide more of a lead-in.

The fact that the jetty looks disjointed by having 2 sections doesn't sit too well with me. Bear in mind these are all personal opinions, which are very subjective.

In my mind, a killer shot would be on another occasion when the elements are all in your favour (better sky, still water, less distracting elements such as dragonboats around, etc). Then a portrait shot with the foreground as nysheng presented, with more (and better) sky included. That'd be better, in my opinion.

But it's still a great shot, all things considered!
    Thanks for all your input into your thought process when composing the shot. It helps me a great deal!