Thread: Questions about flash photography

Default Questions about flash photography

I am planning to write an article (a how-to of sorts) on flash photography. Kinda like my contribution to the ClubSNAP community. Actually had this idea after completing my last article on DIY CCD cleaning more than 1/2 a year ago (which I am glad many here in ClubSNAP and beyond found useful), but other committments quickly took priority. Thankfully I have a little more time on my hands now, so I shall give this personal project a try again.

To this end, I would like to solicit questions that people might have about flash photography, so that my article would be useful and relevant. So do post your questions here, and I'll try my best to pen down something that most of us will find useful.

Cheers,
    sfhuang

Quote Originally Posted by sfhuang
    I am planning to write an article (a how-to of sorts) on flash photography. Kinda like my contribution to the ClubSNAP community. Actually had this idea after completing my last article on DIY CCD cleaning more than 1/2 a year ago (which I am glad many here in ClubSNAP and beyond found useful), but other committments quickly took priority. Thankfully I have a little more time on my hands now, so I shall give this personal project a try again.

To this end, I would like to solicit questions that people might have about flash photography, so that my article would be useful and relevant. So do post your questions here, and I'll try my best to pen down something that most of us will find useful.

Cheers,
    sfhuang
    1. How do I do fill-in flash? (on TTL, M, non-TTL systems)
    2. How do I avoid the harsh look of flash?
    3. How do I avoid the typical "black background, white subject" effect?
    4. How to do slow sync effects?

How to calculate the guide number?
    (I believe every beginner go through this at least once in their time.)

Deregistered

5. How do I set up the wireless slave / optical slave flash setup?

A few more suggestions for material to include:

* Guide Numbers and their relevance
    * Colour temperature issues (mixed lighting for example)
    * Bounce flash techniques
    * The use of reflectors
    * How to avoid red-eye / silver eye.
    * Slave flash primer
    * Red eye reduction technology overview
    * AF focus assist (IR) overview

Ian
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

How about something on flash brackets?

Quote Originally Posted by sfhuang

Cheers,
    sfhuang
    not sure if you have seen this but there's an article on Flash Photography with Canon EOS Cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by dnka
    not sure if you have seen this but there's an article on Flash Photography with Canon EOS Cameras.
    you're right. there's another good article by Thom Hogan here: http://www.bythom.com/flashqa.htm

I'm having second thoughts on writing the article now.

My suggestion for you is to write an article that is short and concise, to-the-point and not laden newbies with too much technical details.

The shortcomings with the two articles featured are that they can be a bit too equipment-specific (Canon and Nikon) and do not feature enough illustrations and examples on the different aspects of flash photography. Pictures (or photographs in this case) speaks a thousand words. For example, there are a lot of newbies asking how to use a bonuce card or Omnibounce and the effects they give.

True enough, there are many articles and books on flash photography out there, but I would encourage you to write something that caters to the ClubSNAPPer's concerns. In the end you'll find out the one who benefits the most is yourself!

Looking forward to the article...if you decide to embark on the project...add oil!!

how do i correctly expose a shot such that for a depth photo the front isnt overexposed and the back isnt underexposed?