Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My photos just mysteriously disappeared! T-T

Default Re: My photos just mysteriously disappeared! T-T

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Looks bad. It seems that there are errors in the file system that caused overwriting of sectors where your files (newer images) where stored. Somehow those sectors with old images remained untouched, so you could recover the files.
    If this software works and can recover deleted images but not those which disappeared then it looks really bad, sorry to say. You could try some of those Sim Lim shops (back lanes, storey 3..5) to check whether they could do something. If not then you have to bite the bullet and say farewell to the images.
    Take it as lesson learned and always copy all images to PC first after each shooting. Do a proper formatting of the card from time to time to avoid inconsistencies in the file system.
    It was purely bad luck I guess I always transfer my photos to my comp at the end of the day but what happened that day was that we were shooting halfway when ALL the photos just disappeared (except for the last 10 we took) :/ I was more concerned of the photos taken on that day which were lost (more than 30 of them? Ard there...) , not the older ones cos I already transferred to my comp. Sad....

hmm...

just happened to see this thread..

TS, if u wan, i do have the software and i think can help...

let me bring my laptop and you can bring your card then can try using the software to retrieve the pics...

let me know yah.

ben
    "For God loved the world so much that He gave His one and only Son" He Love all of us...

Quote Originally Posted by evoben View Post
    hmm...

just happened to see this thread..

TS, if u wan, i do have the software and i think can help...

let me bring my laptop and you can bring your card then can try using the software to retrieve the pics...

let me know yah.

ben
    Hi ben! Thanks for offering your help

May I know which software you have? I've tried a few freewares (if you read
    my previous posts) and none of them could recover those photos which I've lost on the day itself. I'm close to giving up trying to retrieve those photos seems like an unusual case ba cos how come my photos can just disappear halfway while taking and the softwares can't recover anything (I repeat, excluding old photos taken on other days before the event happened)... It's like my sd card has no track of those photos at all. Sigh man...

Have you tried SanDisk's recovery software yet?

To put it in layman's terms, each memory card/hard disk drive has many sections to them. Files (or info) are stored in those sections. A file that's big are stored in, say, 1000 sections. A file that's small are stored in, say, 100 sections. Even after you've deleted the file, those sections become 'empty', though they aren't really empty (the sections of the files are still there).. just that the system that reads the card thinks that they are already empty. So if you write a new file over those sections, that's when the file really gets deleted.

what lypklypk is saying, in role play:

Information in the hard disks are like HDB flats. Many many HDB Buildings. What you see on Windows Explorer when you view the files, are simply the addresses to any of the HDB flats, so that the computer knows which part of the hard disk to retrieve information from.

When you delete, you do not really delete the HDB flats. you are simply taking away the addresses. So, information is still there, but no way for a computer to link to the files stored within.

Hence, you need a file recovery software.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

I'm getting confused..... I already tried a file recovery software. It helped me to recover a thousand over files but none of them were the photos which disappeared in that day. That's why I doubt other softwares will be able to track from my sd card

Yes, I think the images that you want to recover has already been overwritten by some other files and therefore the recovery software is not able to help. The files that you have recovered are the ones that are still there and not overwritten.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

wow, its amazing how much attention a single girl can get in a male dominated forum.....

anyway, i use this
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    wow, its amazing how much attention a single girl can get in a male dominated forum.....

anyway, i use this
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva
    lol I was just so lost, in a quandary about what to do. The first thing that came to my mind was to post in a photography forum so ppl could help... And I only know of clubsnap and lomotion but the former has more active users I believe! So I hoped I could heed some advice from here lor... Still, I'm left to accept the fact that those photos of mine can no longer be saved T-T

Anyway, thanks IsenGrim! I'll probably give one last try... Will try out the software

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123