Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should i get a macro lens for my baby shots?

Default Re: Should i get a macro lens for my baby shots?

Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    i suggest getting a raynox as compare to the close up filter and macro lens
    as i bought the Raynox 2000A after comparing all the factors
    Shooting baby's features with Raynox?

I think 50mm is good enough. Like other experts suggested, you can crop away the excess.

If you find 50mm 1.8 too cheap, u can buy 50 mm 1.4. It is still below $1k.

Quote Originally Posted by La Fontaine View Post
    With a 50mmF1.8, you should be able to focus pretty close. Then, crop away the excess.

And then, dun be afraid to go higher ISO like 800. Most dSLR give decent quality up to about 800 or so at normal screen size viewing or print to like 8R.

I dun think close up filters are that wonderful. You will not be able to AF or it would hunt readily. And it is only sharp at the centre.

You might wanna to consider the Tamron 90mm or Tokina 100mm - they are both excellent macro lenses that are affordable. Even more so if you buy used from the B&S in CS.
    Actually closeup filter can AF (perhaps you are thinking of reverse macro?) and a single closeup glass + 50mm 1.8 is much, much sharper than kit or other decent compact lenses. If compared to real macro lens, then it is not that sharp but for baby photo, it will be sharp enough for your need since babies do not have complex texture like flowers or bees. And babies don't stay as babies so if macro lens is a temporary lens only, I feel its a waste of money to buy real macro lens (alternatively you can rent one).

You can try getting extension tubes which allows you to shoot macros using your exisiting lens. The Kenko tubes itself comes in a set which is quite cheap compared to a real macro lens. It allows AF but from experience, you are better off using manual focus.

http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/ExtensionTube.htm
    http://www.amazon.com/Kenko-Auto-Ext.../ref=pd_cp_p_1

Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77 View Post
    Actually closeup filter can AF (perhaps you are thinking of reverse macro?) and a single closeup glass + 50mm 1.8 is much, much sharper than kit or other decent compact lenses. If compared to real macro lens, then it is not that sharp but for baby photo, it will be sharp enough for your need since babies do not have complex texture like flowers or bees. And babies don't stay as babies so if macro lens is a temporary lens only, I feel its a waste of money to buy real macro lens (alternatively you can rent one).
    You hit the nail on the head. Babies do indeed grow fast and besides my newborn, I've never thought much about macro photography. However, renting one is a good idea and who knows i might enjoy it enough to invest in a macro lens? What is the going rate for renting one (and where?)
    5Dmk2 600D Sig35f1.4 Sig50f1.4 85f1.8 SY14f2.8 18200 Tam1750f2.8 580EX2 Oly EP3 14-42X 40-150 20f1.7

To TS, any examples of shots that you'd need a macro lens or macro setup?
    I believe a lens that can focus quite close (like a 50mm) and cropping should give you what you need for baby close up shots.

Here are some random close-ups on baby stuff taken using a 50/2

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    To TS, any examples of shots that you'd need a macro lens or macro setup?
    I believe a lens that can focus quite close (like a 50mm) and cropping should give you what you need for baby close up shots.

Here are some random close-ups on baby stuff taken using a 50/2

Those are wonderful shots! Right up my alley! But I'm also trying to get ' a droplet of water on her eyelashes' that sort of thing. I don't know if my 50mm can do that. Cropping will take away the shallow DOF effect. And accentuate blurriness from my not-so-steady hands (no IS).
    5Dmk2 600D Sig35f1.4 Sig50f1.4 85f1.8 SY14f2.8 18200 Tam1750f2.8 580EX2 Oly EP3 14-42X 40-150 20f1.7

Quote Originally Posted by electron View Post
    Those are wonderful shots! Right up my alley! But I'm also trying to get ' a droplet of water on her eyelashes' that sort of thing. I don't know if my 50mm can do that. Cropping will take away the shallow DOF effect. And accentuate blurriness from my not-so-steady hands (no IS).
    Thanks

I can only think of either a lens with very good resolution or a macro lens/ Closeup filter/ extension tube. The 50/1.8 should have good resolution for cropping. You can probably try shooting at a smaller f-stop, cropping and then adding blur in PP.
    What you want to take is probably quite hard given that the subject moves quite a bit. A macro shot taken close up will have very little DOF making what you want even harder.
    Try...try and try gain.....

Is it better to get a 52mm close up filter for my 50mm lens and get a step up filter to use for my other lenses or the other way around?

Quote Originally Posted by electron View Post
    Is it better to get a 52mm close up filter for my 50mm lens and get a step up filter to use for my other lenses or the other way around?
    Having used a simple Hoya +2 close up filter, I now prefer an extension tube. With the extension tube, it stays in my bag and fits any lens with negligible light loss and no image quality loss. A close up filter only fits a lens of its diameter. (Manual focus and aperture being the downsides)

Sample shot, 85mm f2 using extension tube (1 stack)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12