Thread: Headphones

Default Headphones

So anyway, my current set of gaming headphones from Sennheiser's becoming really really itchy at the earpads. Dad washed them and used them as his own.

I'm looking for a bang-for-buck headphone, mostly for general music / video / gaming purposes, but sometimes also for sound monitoring when plugged into recording devices such as the Zoom H4n field recorder. Wired or wireless, it doesn't matter, though I heard that wired ones are more reliable. Not sure how true.

I'm not an audiophile, but I can tell that some brands are biased towards more bass or more treble. I want a good mix of both, and my budget is S$200 at max. Wish to buy it at Sitex at the end of the month with promotional pricing, so I'm starting research early.

For price reference, here's Comex 2009 brochures: http://picasaweb.google.com/hardwarezone.com/COMEX2009

Anyone have any good recommendations? I'm new to this.

Thanks!

Zexun
    Last edited by Headshotzx; 7th November 2009 at 02:28 PM.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Default Re: Headphones

currently using this .. is very good for me
    it beats Sennheiser and Audiotec for models selling at double the price

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^pt^PORTAPRO

i got it from jaben, adelphi at $80 and they gave me a fiiio E3 mini headphone amplifier
    u can go there and test it out

I'm using audio technica, and the sound quality is excellent, however the price is kinda high at $100+

Sooo anyway, I've gotten to know of a new term. I'm looking for headphones for "soundstage" purposes. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    currently using this .. is very good for me
    it beats Sennheiser and Audiotec for models selling at double the price

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^pt^PORTAPRO

i got it from jaben, adelphi at $80 and they gave me a fiiio E3 mini headphone amplifier
    u can go there and test it out
    Wah haha, funky design. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja23XX View Post
    I'm using audio technica, and the sound quality is excellent, however the price is kinda high at $100+
    Oh that's okay, my budget is S$100 - 200.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    Sooo anyway, I've gotten to know of a new term. I'm looking for headphones for "soundstage" purposes. Haha.

Wah haha, funky design. Haha.

Oh that's okay, my budget is S$100 - 200.
    Oh hmm, the look for the audio technica SQ5, or the higher series. There was one that looked like a DJ headphones, good sound, but the cable is a put off. 3 metre coiled cable. Bulky.

I've not updated myself on headphones for quite a while, but anyway, try the ATH-A500 (audio technica), doesn't need an amp to get good sound due to low impedance, and usually recommended as all rounder for music, gaming, movies.

Audio Technica M30/M50.

For not more than $200, you're better off getting a wired set. For your needs, I'd suggest studio monitors. Though if you'd like regular headphones, can try the Alessandro MS1+. You can try them out before buying at Jaben Electronics @ The Adelphi.

Btw, the old men there used to be from SAS
    Last edited by Cartman2000; 8th November 2009 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    So anyway, my current set of gaming headphones from Sennheiser's becoming really really itchy at the earpads. Dad washed them and used them as his own.

I'm looking for a bang-for-buck headphone, mostly for general music / video / gaming purposes, but sometimes also for sound monitoring when plugged into recording devices such as the Zoom H4n field recorder. Wired or wireless, it doesn't matter, though I heard that wired ones are more reliable. Not sure how true.

I'm not an audiophile, but I can tell that some brands are biased towards more bass or more treble. I want a good mix of both, and my budget is S$200 at max. Wish to buy it at Sitex at the end of the month with promotional pricing, so I'm starting research early.

For price reference, here's Comex 2009 brochures: http://picasaweb.google.com/hardwarezone.com/COMEX2009

Anyone have any good recommendations? I'm new to this.

Thanks!

Zexun
    Have you thought about simply replacing the ear pads? They are quite cheap to buy and for many Sennies can be purchased off eBay for a few bucks.

Rather than make recommendations about specific cans I'd suggest you go and try as many as you can and pick the most comfortable unit with the sound you like best. For recording purposes you will need closed back cans.

For the record I use Sennheisser HD280 pro or AKG 240 (D or S varients depending) For mixdowns and final monitoring either the cans above or HD 800. Nearfield monitors, B&W 801, DM 220, KrK 10s, power amplification Harrisson X1000 (600Wrms @ 8 ohms per chan)
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!