Thread: Do you think you need a new body, or lens?

Default Do you think you need a new body, or lens?

Often, we may look at a new equipment purchase or technique as a 'quick-fix' or in the case of the following article, some sort of 'magic' formula that will solve photographic mediocrity ... except identifying and fixing the root of the problem in the first place.

Picture this…. you’re at a photography show or a gallery, and you see a print that takes your breath away. You look at the delicate highlights, perfectly rendered mid tones and deep blacks and think, “Man, what a great print. If I only knew what kind of (pick one: camera, lens, film, paper, developer, toner) he used, my pictures would look just as good.” You are now looking for a magic bullet.

Magic bullets are things that turn a mediocre photographer into a great one with a minimal amount of effort. They often take the form of some highly recommended piece of equipment, or some chemical brew with magical properties. It seems so easy…all you have to do is buy the right thing, and your pictures can look like the ones in the gallery.
    Confessions of a recovering magic bullet chaser
    by Kevin Bourque for largeformaphotography.info

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ic-bullet.html

While this article was written with film usage and silver halide printing in mind, the principles ring true.

I'll be the first to admit - shopping for and buying new equipment (or trying new techniques) are all part of the fun of photography, but are your equipment 'needs' real, or have you become a slave in the pursuit of the elusive 'magic bullet'?

Default Re: Do you think you need a new body, or lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Often, we may look at a new equipment purchase or technique as a 'quick-fix' or in the case of the following article, some sort of 'magic' formula that will solve photographic mediocrity ... except identifying and fixing the root of the problem in the first place.

Confessions of a recovering magic bullet chaser
    by Kevin Bourque for largeformaphotography.info

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ic-bullet.html

While this article was written with film usage and silver halide printing in mind, the principles ring true.

I'll be the first to admit - shopping for and buying new equipment (or trying new techniques) are all part of the fun of photography, but are your equipment 'needs' real, or have you become a slave in the pursuit of the elusive 'magic bullet'?
    I just need magic. The bullet can come later when I need it through the cranium.

i haven't bought new lens or body for very long.

but i keep buying tripods.

TRIPODS ????????

hahahas..weird....im looking for a new pro spec body/ flagship body { which ever is the correct term } from olympus for the 4/3 lineup

then prob a prime lens..30mm F1.4 ???
    if no nice primes that catches my eye then i'll save for the 14-35mm F2 and the 35-100F2...

if one piece of equipment can capture all kinds of interesting images, then i guess all pros use oni 1 body and 1 lens...
    おれのflickrださ

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i haven't bought new lens or body for very long.

but i keep buying tripods.
    Why tripods ah?

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Why tripods ah?
    cos my tripods keep spoiling..

see http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...ghlight=tripod

Man, you soak your tripods in sea water... you need an Ocean series Gitzo lah... Save you more money in the long run.

Me, I am trying desperately to super-glue up my wallet.
    TS asks: "Do you think you need a new body, or lens?"
    My answer: "Everything I also want..."
    Siao one, me...!

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Man, you soak your tripods in sea water... you need an Ocean series Gitzo lah... Save you more money in the long run.
    you see, i am not sure if gitzo can deliver what it promises.

but anyways, my latest manfrotto cheapo tripod 725b has lasted quite long..

and the giottos looks like it can hold up. so hopefully these will last me a while.

A PROfessional photographer needs PRO camera bodies, lens, flashes with funny looking diffusers, strobes, umbrellas, lightstand, tripod, filters, studio, and needs to know theories, strobist, editing people into plastic faces, copy others' techniques and styles, need to have a portfolio of alot xmm scanity dressed and/or fetish clothings, lots of years of experience, blah blah blah...
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

Ahh ... you need a SOLID Silver tripod, then that would be your SILVER Magic Bullet!

Ill need a new pair of lenses for my cracked spectacles
    As for body, I won't need one. I'm sexy enuf

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Ahh ... you need a SOLID Silver tripod, then that would be your SILVER Magic Bullet!
    i need a magic self regenerating tripod.

that costs less than sgd200.