Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which to start with??

Blog Entries

Default Re: which to start with??

Quote Originally Posted by markleetk View Post
    as i heard there will be an IT fair coming during DEC so i'm deciding to get my hands on a DSLR..
    i'm kind of new to this hobby so there alot i need to learn..
    which model should i start with?
    i'm actually looking at mainly 2 model cannon 500D or nikon D3000 as this are the 2 model which some of my friends use but is there a better mid level model i should consider?
    Pentax K-x. Get the white one. Looks damn cool. With performance to boot!
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09...xkxhandson.asp

Quote Originally Posted by markleetk View Post
    issit better to get a DSLR wif build in image stabilizer or a camera without one as de lense haf it?
    That's one of the questions where there is no "better". Both have their pros and cons, both work well. It's a decision for a certain system you have to make here.
    IS (also named VR, OS, VC) in body has the advantage that it works for all lenses, even old manual lenses. You buy this piece of technology only once when you get the body. For upgrading the IS (e.g. additional features) you need to get a newer camera body. Also, the effect is not visible in the viewfinder, the stabilizer only works in the moment when you take the picture. If there are third party lenses that come with integrated IS one of the stabilizing systems must be switched off: either in lens or in body.

IS in lens is something you buy with each lens which comes with IS and pushes the price a bit upwards. The IS can be made very specifically for this lens, depending on focal length and lens construction. Newer versions of a lens might get an updated version of IS. If the manufacturer does not equip a certain lens with IS then there's no way to get it. The effect is visible in the viewfinder once you press the shutter half for focusing. This might result in a bit more battery drain if you focus several times.

IS is useful for longer focal length (e.g. 85mm and above. Normal lenses and wide angle don't really need IS. Proper handholding technique is enough and should be trained in the beginning.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Pentax K-x. Get the white one. Looks damn cool. With performance to boot!
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09...xkxhandson.asp
    I wish Canon would still offer the silver body as for 300D / 350D. It's really a difference when shooting in the sun and it just looks better to me.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Fragnatic View Post

if getting the same brand as friends, u can ask them to teach u and guide u along as u learn (esp brand-specific features and terms, equipment, etc), furthermore, u can share lenses/flashes/accessories to try out
    On the flip side of the coin, you will most prob learn the wrong things from your friends too..

Dont need to use what your friends are using. Just buy that suits your budget and move on from there.

The other thing about sharing lens and accessories, who shares them regularly anyway?

Regards
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12