Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: which to start with??

  1. #1

    Default which to start with??

    as i heard there will be an IT fair coming during DEC so i'm deciding to get my hands on a DSLR..
    i'm kind of new to this hobby so there alot i need to learn..
    which model should i start with?
    i'm actually looking at mainly 2 model cannon 500D or nikon D3000 as this are the 2 model which some of my friends use but is there a better mid level model i should consider?

  2. #2
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: which to start with??

    They are both the same.
    It all depends on:
    1. Which friend has a bigger collection of lenses and who is more likely to lend you his lenses.
    2. Which friend is better in sharing experience with you about his camera.
    3. Which friend is more likely to go out shooting with you .
    ... in short, make a choice that you know you will have support from your friends, at least in the near future.
    Otherwise, still, they are the same.
    My humble opinion.

    EDIT: Sorry, missed out the second part of your post. If you are looking at a mid-level camera, I would recommend Nikon D90 or Canon 50D.
    Last edited by limwhow; 6th November 2009 at 12:42 AM.

  3. #3
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: which to start with??

    Don't bother going to the show to purchase the camera. You can get a better price now at any of the "reputable" dealers.

  4. #4

    Default Re: which to start with??

    Quote Originally Posted by markleetk View Post
    i'm actually looking at mainly 2 model cannon 500D or nikon D3000 as this are the 2 model which some of my friends use but is there a better mid level model i should consider?
    got so many brands, only use what your friends use..

    haiz

  5. #5
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: which to start with??

    Quote Originally Posted by markleetk View Post
    i'm actually looking at mainly 2 model cannon 500D or nikon D3000 as this are the 2 model which some of my friends use but is there a better mid level model i should consider?
    Why? Which reason is there for to get a mid-range model? Your learning curve is steep anyway and the money is better spent on other things. Sure you can jump also directly into high-end range, saving all the upgrade steps. But if you want to learn photography instead of "economics of upgrading" then get an entry level cam and start from there.
    EOS

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Johor Bahru, Malaysia
    Posts
    1,763

    Default Re: which to start with??

    d90 kit.
    the body n len are good to start off with
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

  7. #7

    Default Re: which to start with??

    This thread sums up what I want to say.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598556

    (including the buying at IT show part)

  8. #8

    Default Re: which to start with??

    Join the various Gatherings. doesnt matter if you have no camera. Always better to hear from users point of view rather then the marketing hype.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  9. #9
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: which to start with??

    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    Don't bother going to the show to purchase the camera. You can get a better price now at any of the "reputable" dealers.
    I agree.
    At the show, the 1 more free thing you get is the cleaning kit.

    Why not do this, which I told many friends.
    1. Go to SITEX and check out the prices.
    2. Call reputable shops for their prices.
    3. If the shop quotes cheaper prices, go and buy from them.

    Hope this helps..

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Serangoon, Singapore
    Posts
    855

    Default Re: which to start with??

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    got so many brands, only use what your friends use..

    haiz
    depends actually..

    if getting the same brand as friends, u can ask them to teach u and guide u along as u learn (esp brand-specific features and terms, equipment, etc), furthermore, u can share lenses/flashes/accessories to try out

    Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    I agree.
    At the show, the 1 more free thing you get is the cleaning kit.

    Why not do this, which I told many friends.
    1. Go to SITEX and check out the prices.
    2. Call reputable shops for their prices.
    3. If the shop quotes cheaper prices, go and buy from them.

    Hope this helps..
    usually the prices at the fairs are at MSRP or a little lower. but most camera shops sell them at a street price much lower than at the fairs.

    but u can still go to the fair if u want, to try out the cameras' features, functions, and feel how its like in ur hands. the exhibition hall is gd to test the high iso range of the cam , just rmb to bring ur own memory card to save the photos of the cameras and go home check quality.. hahaa

    fyi, SITEX is on 26-29 Nov @ EXPO
    Last edited by Fragnatic; 6th November 2009 at 07:01 PM.
    EOS 6D | GH4 | LX100 | HERO4

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: which to start with??

    Quote Originally Posted by markleetk View Post
    as i heard there will be an IT fair coming during DEC so i'm deciding to get my hands on a DSLR..
    i'm kind of new to this hobby so there alot i need to learn..
    which model should i start with?
    i'm actually looking at mainly 2 model cannon 500D or nikon D3000 as this are the 2 model which some of my friends use but is there a better mid level model i should consider?
    what is ur budget, for ur "beginning setup"?
    cameras are not made of tofu

  12. #12

    Default Re: which to start with??

    Fragnatic - Thx for the info shall head down and check it out..

    Fotophilic - Actually my budget is ard 1k plus but hoping not to go above 1.2k.

    Reportage - Hmm shall keep that in mind and check out the event page

    night86mare - My friends are asking to look in to a mid range or entry level as i will not have much time to head out to shoot as i'm trap in CAMP from monday - friday.
    and NS pay is also not really that great so by getting a model which my friends have i might be able to share some equipment wif him like Fragnatic & limwhow suggested.

    Octarine- But what is the biggest difference between the different level of cameras (mid range and entry level) is it the amount of upgrades?..
    i use to think how far a camera can go is mostly depends on de lense..

    But still thanks for taking time to enlighten me..haha

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: which to start with??

    if u have 1.2k, i would only suggest u look at Nikon D3000, which is abt 850.

    Reason?
    1) camera kit is only one part of ur setup. U will have to get other things like drybox/cab, camera bag, card reader, spare battery, filter,whatever.
    2) with the spare $, u can get a nikon flash. Say maybe a sb400 or sb600. U may be even able to buy a lens.
    3) i pretty impressed by what the nikon kit lens (18-55 vr) can do. I seen the canon one, not bad, but am not impressed.

    These are just my personal opinion.
    cameras are not made of tofu

  14. #14
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: which to start with??

    the forumers above have given great advice.

    alternatively if u dun mind pre-loved items, for better deals look at what the 2nd hand market has to offer esp in our Personal Classified section, but best to bring along friends who are seasoned users to help ya inspect on the items.

    Ryan

  15. #15
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: which to start with??

    Quote Originally Posted by markleetk View Post
    Octarine- But what is the biggest difference between the different level of cameras (mid range and entry level) is it the amount of upgrades?..
    i use to think how far a camera can go is mostly depends on de lense..
    Amount of upgrades? Look at the line-up of each brand. Canon has the entry level range with 3 digits: xxxD and the 'economical' version of 1000D. Mid-range is xxD and high end has one digit. Some might argue where to position the new 7D but that's not really relevant here. The differences are features and functions (AF points, frames per second etc), built, image quality at high ISO ... review sites like dpreview can shows this very detailed. If you are serious and determined about this hobby then midrange level is beneficial, just don't get carried away with getting lenses, here commonly known as "BBB virus". If not then entry level is good enough for learning and decent image quality. There is no "substandard camera", nobody would buy it anyway.
    Cameras can last for a long time and as long as there isn't a certain flaw or missing feature that stops you then it will work well for several years. Some people get higher level bodies later and keep the lower one as backup.
    What do you mean by "how far a camera can go"? Zoom? Better drop this idea, in DSLR all what matters is focal length, usually expressed in Millimeters.
    EOS

  16. #16

    Default Re: which to start with??

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Amount of upgrades? Look at the line-up of each brand. Canon has the entry level range with 3 digits: xxxD and the 'economical' version of 1000D. Mid-range is xxD and high end has one digit. Some might argue where to position the new 7D but that's not really relevant here. The differences are features and functions (AF points, frames per second etc), built, image quality at high ISO ... review sites like dpreview can shows this very detailed. If you are serious and determined about this hobby then midrange level is beneficial, just don't get carried away with getting lenses, here commonly known as "BBB virus". If not then entry level is good enough for learning and decent image quality. There is no "substandard camera", nobody would buy it anyway.
    Cameras can last for a long time and as long as there isn't a certain flaw or missing feature that stops you then it will work well for several years. Some people get higher level bodies later and keep the lower one as backup.
    What do you mean by "how far a camera can go"? Zoom? Better drop this idea, in DSLR all what matters is focal length, usually expressed in Millimeters.
    Thx for the information, it been of great help..
    when i say how far a camera can go mean the ability or capability of the camera..but thx..
    i went to got a feel on a few cameras today..
    issit better to get a DSLR wif build in image stabilizer or a camera without one as de lense haf it?

  17. #17

    Default Re: which to start with??

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Amount of upgrades? Look at the line-up of each brand. Canon has the entry level range with 3 digits: xxxD and the 'economical' version of 1000D. Mid-range is xxD and high end has one digit. Some might argue where to position the new 7D but that's not really relevant here. The differences are features and functions (AF points, frames per second etc), built, image quality at high ISO ... review sites like dpreview can shows this very detailed. If you are serious and determined about this hobby then midrange level is beneficial, just don't get carried away with getting lenses, here commonly known as "BBB virus". If not then entry level is good enough for learning and decent image quality. There is no "substandard camera", nobody would buy it anyway.
    Cameras can last for a long time and as long as there isn't a certain flaw or missing feature that stops you then it will work well for several years. Some people get higher level bodies later and keep the lower one as backup.
    What do you mean by "how far a camera can go"? Zoom? Better drop this idea, in DSLR all what matters is focal length, usually expressed in Millimeters.
    Thx for the information, it been of great help..
    when i say how far a camera can go mean the ability or capability of the camera..but thx..
    i went to got a feel on a few cameras today..
    issit better to get a DSLR wif build in image stabilizer or a camera without one as de lense haf it?

  18. #18

    Default Re: which to start with??

    You use the camera that you buy and will learn what it creates. Start with any brand you like and you will use and buy the gear around it eventually.

    Ultimately, do not tell yourself that you will be buying the one and only brand in your life.

  19. #19

    Default Re: which to start with??

    I just got my dslr recently only.

    Before this, I never thought of getting a dslr other than canon/ nikon. Suprised my friends when I got a Sony dslr.

    About lS - lenses with IS cost more, if it's worth anything to you. Might be wrong though, so don't take my word for it.

    In the end it's you that's going to use the camera, so whatever you buy, you should be satisfied with it, no point reading 1000s of reviews, because you're not the one using it. reviews can only help so much.

  20. #20

    Default Re: which to start with??

    Quote Originally Posted by markleetk View Post
    as i heard there will be an IT fair coming during DEC so i'm deciding to get my hands on a DSLR..
    i'm kind of new to this hobby so there alot i need to learn..
    which model should i start with?
    i'm actually looking at mainly 2 model cannon 500D or nikon D3000 as this are the 2 model which some of my friends use but is there a better mid level model i should consider?
    Join the various camera gatherings.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •