Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Northen part of Sing a pore
    Posts
    2,153

    Default D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    Help!!!! Freaking noisy! any way to dampen the noise from the mirror slaps?

    The speakers and the facilitators seems damn cheesed!

  2. #2
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    You've got a very quiet room with very quiet crowd?
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    no idea about whether your AF confirmation beep is on... last time when i was in a workshop... quite quiet environment... that photographer keeps on "beep beep"... wait for 2 sec "beep beep"... wait for 2 sec "beep beep"... wait for 1 second "flap flap"...

    this continuous pattern really irritates me... if want to beep then just beep and shoot... keep beeping but not shooting why AF then????

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jalan Poonpipi
    Posts
    758

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    Go get the D300s - got quiet mode you know?

    And quiet AF with AF-S or HSM....
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Northen part of Sing a pore
    Posts
    2,153

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaRv1s View Post
    no idea about whether your AF confirmation beep is on... last time when i was in a workshop... quite quiet environment... that photographer keeps on "beep beep"... wait for 2 sec "beep beep"... wait for 2 sec "beep beep"... wait for 1 second "flap flap"...

    this continuous pattern really irritates me... if want to beep then just beep and shoot... keep beeping but not shooting why AF then????
    Got beep meh? Think mine off long long time ago! or spoilt liao

    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    You've got a very quiet room with very quiet crowd?
    Yes........ only speaker speaking niah... and piak piak piak..... piak piak...... piak piak!


    Quote Originally Posted by La Fontaine View Post
    Go get the D300s - got quiet mode you know?

    And quiet AF with AF-S or HSM....
    AF no issue but piak piak piak very very distinct sound. D300s...... think full frame is my next upgrade.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    use PNS lor~ Haha!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    My take on this......

    I've seen my fair share of "irritating" photographers at seminars and really, its not the sound of the mirror but the photographers' lack of sensitivity towards the situation that pissed off the speakers and participants alike.

    In general, the photographers haven't got the slightest clue when to take a photo and when not to, they just fire off as and when hoping to land a useable few shots. Why take 200 photos of the same speaker as he/she talks in a time frame of say...... 45 mins? Of course he/she would get irritated.

    Some understanding of the seminar's content and the style of the speakers is essential. Observe your subjects, time your shots. Take a photo when he/she pauses, etc. Be considerate.

    I'm not insinuating that TS is guilty but that's certainly something photographers have to reflect on. I'm saying this in the capacity of a seminar participant and photographer. If you were paid to be there, a few clicks isn't going to make you stand out like a sore thumb. I wouldn't be too quick to blame the camera.
    Last edited by Kit; 5th November 2009 at 10:35 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2 View Post
    D300s...... think full frame is my next upgrade.
    What makes you think bigger mirrors will be quieter?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    East side
    Posts
    3,704

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    The mirror slap is a mechanical movement, and no way of cutting that off altogether. Even with the D5k or D300s, the quiet mode basically lifts the mirror, and delays the return action.

    In this kind of situation, a PnS or mirrorless camera, like EP1 will not "annoy" the speakers.

    Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2 View Post
    Help!!!! Freaking noisy! any way to dampen the noise from the mirror slaps?

    The speakers and the facilitators seems damn cheesed!

  10. #10

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    My take on this......

    I've seen my fair share of "irritating" photographers at seminars and really, its not the sound of the mirror but the photographers' lack of sensitivity towards the situation that pissed off the speakers and participants alike.

    In general, the photographers haven't got the slightest clue when to take a photo and when not to, they just fire off as and when hoping to land a useable few shots. Why take 200 photos of the same speaker as he/she talks in a time frame of say...... 45 mins? Of course he/she would get irritated.

    Some understanding of the seminar's content and the style of the speakers is essential. Observe your subjects, time your shots. Take a photo when he/she pauses, etc. Be considerate.
    .....
    Fully agreed. Same observation over here.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Northen part of Sing a pore
    Posts
    2,153

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    My take on this......

    I've seen my fair share of "irritating" photographers at seminars and really, its not the sound of the mirror but the photographers' lack of sensitivity towards the situation that pissed off the speakers and participants alike.

    In general, the photographers haven't got the slightest clue when to take a photo and when not to, they just fire off as and when hoping to land a useable few shots. Why take 200 photos of the same speaker as he/she talks in a time frame of say...... 45 mins? Of course he/she would get irritated.

    Some understanding of the seminar's content and the style of the speakers is essential. Observe your subjects, time your shots. Take a photo when he/she pauses, etc. Be considerate.

    I'm not insinuating that TS is guilty but that's certainly something photographers have to reflect on. I'm saying this in the capacity of a seminar participant and photographer. If you were paid to be there, a few clicks isn't going to make you stand out like a sore thumb. I wouldn't be too quick to blame the camera.
    Thanks! i think i am very sensitive and not very insinuating. D300 and most other loud cameras would have problems handling situations in which the audience is just less than 1m away. That is why i am asking for methods to quieten the camera if someone who is genius enough might have figured out something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    What makes you think bigger mirrors will be quieter?
    ? Since when did i mention i will be getting bigger mirrors to be quieter? I am just saying next upgrade for me is a full frame!

    Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    The mirror slap is a mechanical movement, and no way of cutting that off altogether. Even with the D5k or D300s, the quiet mode basically lifts the mirror, and delays the return action.

    In this kind of situation, a PnS or mirrorless camera, like EP1 will not "annoy" the speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    use PNS lor~ Haha!
    Delay return action means slowing reaction time? i am a little backdated on camera technology.

    PNS..... has very horrible ISO performance. and i must remember to off the beep beep sounds.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2 View Post
    AF no issue but piak piak piak very very distinct sound. D300s...... think full frame is my next upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2 View Post
    Since when did i mention i will be getting bigger mirrors to be quieter? I am just saying next upgrade for me is a full frame!
    Its apparent that you think the mirror slap is a problem for you then you went on about upgrading to FF......

    Have you handled a D3 or D700? Heard the mirror slap before?

  13. #13

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    Are you using aperture ring or command dial for your aperture control ?

  14. #14

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    Quote Originally Posted by La Fontaine View Post
    Go get the D300s - got quiet mode you know?

    And quiet AF with AF-S or HSM....
    Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2 View Post
    AF no issue but piak piak piak very very distinct sound. D300s...... think full frame is my next upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    What makes you think bigger mirrors will be quieter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Its apparent that you think the mirror slap is a problem for you then you went on about upgrading to FF......

    Have you handled a D3 or D700? Heard the mirror slap before?
    i think, what TS meant, upgrade to full frame and the mirror slap noise are 2 different things, someone suggested that D300s got this quiet mode, but TS said he will not "upgrade" to a D300s just because of the quiet mode, even if he wants to upgrade, he will consider a full frame body (nothing to do with the mirror slap noise).

  15. #15

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    I remember a story about a conductor (orchestra, not bus) who frowned on any photographers with SLRs (this was back in the 80s), but approved of Leicas. The main culprit was the mirror of course (a motordrive would probably see the photographer banned).

    I was just wondering if in Live View, it's possible to shoot with the mirror 'locked up'. Granted, you'd have to use contrast detect AF, which is supposed to be slower, and ignore the viewfinder (blasphemy to many DSLR users, but if it works...). Is that even possible?

    In effect, you'd be simulating the whole micro 4/3 / rangefinder idea - no mirror slap.

  16. #16
    Member DinoSG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central Singapore
    Posts
    771

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    auto focus sound can switch off...d300s got Q mode. ..but still with little "clap" sound..
    Nikon D610 |NIKON 16-35mm F4G | SIGMA 50mm F1.4G | NIKON 70-200mm F2.8G VRII | NIKON SB600

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    I was just wondering if in Live View, it's possible to shoot with the mirror 'locked up'. Granted, you'd have to use contrast detect AF, which is supposed to be slower, and ignore the viewfinder (blasphemy to many DSLR users, but if it works...). Is that even possible?
    Works for Canon doesn't work for Nikon

    When you fire a shot in LV, the mirror slaps down and performs a conventional shutter cycle (pretty stupid, imho)


    To TS:
    Get/Rent a Leica. Problem solved

  18. #18

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    to solve the problem:

    1) make the shots count. how many photos are used at the end? how many are you taking? if you are taking 200 and the result is that only 2 need to be used, then you should have only taken 8 maximum.

    2) be sensitive, if the speaker is speaking and he wants to be heard, you have the choice to choose not to take.

  19. #19

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2 View Post
    TThat is why i am asking for methods to quieten the camera if someone who is genius enough might have figured out something.
    Cover your camera with THICK towel lor

    Am i genius??
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    3,530

    Default Re: D300 .... Very noisy mirror slaps for seminar.

    D70 shutter very quiet ... but hor... you know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •