Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 74 of 74

Thread: Photographer's Assistant?

  1. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bukit panjang
    Posts
    160

    Default P.a

    Quote Originally Posted by zekai
    dun take it seriously
    hahhaa....nah...i never take such thing seriuosly....by the way thanx for reminding that it actually can spoil market.....hahaa

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bukit panjang
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    It was very tough, I had a very hard taskmaster who was both scathing and merciless when I screwed up through my own stupidity. However he was also a master at explaining how to do things better and had loads of patience where it was needed. He really did ensure I got an excellent grounding in the fundamentals of good composition, exposure and timing.

    Mind you he wasn't half as tough as the owner/editor of the paper who tore strips of me regularly for wasting film, taking too long in the darkroom and so on.
    wah....u mean u must even know how to wash photos???wah....all rounder....hahaa

  3. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bukit panjang
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    Hmmm....strict rules though that's probably what other pros would look for in a PA too.......however it's difficult for someone to accquire Medium Format or Large Format experience, since a 35mm SLR setup with a few good lens will break the bank of most graduates or anyone < 30.

    Not to mention studio experience (buying a setup is too expensive but so is renting one on a frequent basis)

    It's good you had the chance to work in a camera shop and also found someone who appreciate your shots and has the necessary abilities to offer you a position.


    I don't mind picking up a job as a camera repairman at either some large camera corporation's service center or some private camera repair shops servicing old cameras.
    hey...talking abt old camera....u know any lobang that can repair a very old pentax camera????the model is SuperA....thanx!!!

  4. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bukit panjang
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    Not the case at all. You can get in to Medium format for a couple of hundred bucks (A Seagull TLR for example) and around 600 or so for Large format. (older 4x5 from the 50s with a single lens and a couple of backs, or a Speed Graphic, Crown Graphic) .. While MF and LF experience isn't needed for all PA jobs it is a real advantage for anyone who wants to PA in any of the following fields: Architectural, Interiors, Commercial, Industrial, Scientific, Aerial, Automotive, Studio Portraiture.




    You don't need studio experience per se, but you do need to have a good understanding of the technology involved.




    Yes I was lucky in that respect, however it wasn't all luck, a large part was talent, and a lot of hard work.




    Do you have any idea how picky service centers are when selecting trainees?

    Most of the private camera repair shops (Here in Australia and in most other countries) have ex factory technicians working for them, guys who often have 30 or more years experience.

    wow...it seem like its more tough then i thought...had to brush up my knowledge on photographing liao...hahaha...

  5. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roosevelt
    hey...talking abt old camera....u know any lobang that can repair a very old pentax camera????the model is SuperA....thanx!!!
    I can't say that I do, but I heard some shops like TCW (The Camera Workshop) for instance do repair cameras, though that statement will depend on what kind of fault and if it requires part replacement, whether the part is still available.

    Though I think depending on fault, the repair cost might be high and unless you want it for collection reasons, the repair cost might buy you a newer SLR in the market.

  6. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bukit panjang
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    I can't say that I do, but I heard some shops like TCW (The Camera Workshop) for instance do repair cameras, though that statement will depend on what kind of fault and if it requires part replacement, whether the part is still available.

    Though I think depending on fault, the repair cost might be high and unless you want it for collection reasons, the repair cost might buy you a newer SLR in the market.
    icic...thanx alot...might go down to penisular to have a look later...haha

  7. #67
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roosevelt
    i see....thanx alot man...learn something new....so any book that u can recommamd??
    yes roosevelt,

    i've got a couple of good books that u can read up on at the Stamford Road National Library.

    besides the basics of photography, u might be interested to read up on the role of a Photographer's Assistant. what to do, what to say and when to do and say is crucial. basics like that to kick off ur dream of being a P.A starts in Level 3 of the Reference Section under Photography.

    u might also be very interested in Studio and professional lighting set-ups. The Secret Manual to Photographer's Studio Lighting might be an excellent book to start with, although it maybe a little torn and worn out.

    there are so many more books to be inspired from, why not spend a evening just reading some books to boost ur knowledge?
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  8. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    yes roosevelt,

    i've got a couple of good books that u can read up on at the Stamford Road National Library.

    besides the basics of photography, u might be interested to read up on the role of a Photographer's Assistant. what to do, what to say and when to do and say is crucial. basics like that to kick off ur dream of being a P.A starts in Level 3 of the Reference Section under Photography.

    u might also be very interested in Studio and professional lighting set-ups. The Secret Manual to Photographer's Studio Lighting might be an excellent book to start with, although it maybe a little torn and worn out.

    there are so many more books to be inspired from, why not spend a evening just reading some books to boost ur knowledge?

    Sorry, side step from the subject....
    Since the Stamford Road National Library will be permantly CLOSED from April, and the New national library in Bugis is still under construction, I wonder where will all the books goto if someone needs to read up on them?
    Any idea?

  9. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bukit panjang
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    yes roosevelt,

    i've got a couple of good books that u can read up on at the Stamford Road National Library.

    besides the basics of photography, u might be interested to read up on the role of a Photographer's Assistant. what to do, what to say and when to do and say is crucial. basics like that to kick off ur dream of being a P.A starts in Level 3 of the Reference Section under Photography.

    u might also be very interested in Studio and professional lighting set-ups. The Secret Manual to Photographer's Studio Lighting might be an excellent book to start with, although it maybe a little torn and worn out.

    there are so many more books to be inspired from, why not spend a evening just reading some books to boost ur knowledge?

    wow...i think that more then enough for me for a start...thanx alot for that help....going to pick up those book 2day...

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bukit panjang
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    Sorry, side step from the subject....
    Since the Stamford Road National Library will be permantly CLOSED from April, and the New national library in Bugis is still under construction, I wonder where will all the books goto if someone needs to read up on them?
    Any idea?
    i hear that they will be selling some books to the public rite....?

  11. #71

    Lightbulb National Library books

    Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    Sorry, side step from the subject....
    Since the Stamford Road National Library will be permantly CLOSED from April, and the New national library in Bugis is still under construction, I wonder where will all the books goto if someone needs to read up on them?
    Any idea?
    It does not matter where the books go to? Go online and search for the location/s of the books you want to reserve. Fees is $1.55 per book. Save you time and money physically 'hunting' for the books. While reserving, indicate which library you want to pick them up. It is convenient and time saving.

    Most of the photography books are available for borrowing. You need not 'coop' up to read at the Reference level.

  12. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,719

    Default

    I borrowed a couple of very good book on lighting and product photography.
    i returned them at the branch at compasspoint. yiou may want to try your luck threre.

  13. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bukit panjang
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zekai
    I borrowed a couple of very good book on lighting and product photography.
    i returned them at the branch at compasspoint. yiou may want to try your luck threre.
    ic...maybe i will heed reachme2003 advice...lah...going to the website...hahaha...compass too far liao...but thanx man!!!

  14. #74

    Default

    coolz! PA sounds fun...but issit always must carry heavy stuffs? or can i just hold reflector n take kopi for u guys when u doing outdoor shoot...hehe

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •