Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 71

Thread: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

  1. #41

    Default Re: Who doesn't use dry cabinet?

    It is worth to know that many many many people out there don't know what silica gel is, not to mention drybox and drycab. Just like ozonator.

    So when they upgrade from compact to more expensive prosumer or dSLR, then they are introduced to such item by salesperson. Thus there will always be a process of justification to get one of these unknown item and the need for the large effort (in their mindset) into aquiring/transport one. Some people got this zen home concept design that adding any item require proper planning, else will destroy the zen spiritually.

    Similar to CCTV at home, many knows what they are but require strong justification too bec it intrudes privacy and needs wiring and periodic review.

    How many of you have proper vaccum cleaner at home, raise your hand.
    Last edited by spheredome; 13th November 2009 at 04:21 PM.

  2. #42

    Default Re: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

    i have a dry cabinet but my cam always out of the cabinet and in my cam bag i store the rest of the lens i dun use in the Dry cabinet.

    I got a friend who dun have a dry cab, he got 1 body and 2 lens, i asked him why, he says his wife say no place to put so CANNOT BUY!

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

    i got fungus on both of my lens, after a well-clean service from mr fatigue, now i store all my lens in the $106 digihub 30L dry cabinet operating at 5W.
    at last, i feel more at ease already.

    if i can find space to put my tiny 30L in a crowded room, so can anyone, just a matter of space management within the room.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 14th November 2009 at 11:08 AM.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

    yaaa... I feel that alot people here keep saying that we drybox users don't use a dry cabinet because we're too cheapo to buy one. Pfft, I would even say that dry cabinets ara actually very cheap and affordable. But there are other underlying factors to consider also. Firstly, the dry cabinet needs a power outlet, means it must be out in the open and affects the aesthetics of the room. I spent like $8~10k just to renovate my room and have nice matching furniture, then suddenly got this $130 thing looking out of place.

    Quote Originally Posted by godaikyoko View Post
    same here.. the reason y i dun use dry cabinet is because, my room is so small.. where got space to put a dry cabinet ! Wait till i move to my own house...

  5. #45
    Member shark78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

    answer is simple. if you can buy the camera gears for thousands of dollar. and yet don't want to invest in cabinet. when fungus grow.
    don't KBKP.
    enough said?
    EM5

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    2,567

    Default Re: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

    Why is it that in my 10years of photography, never did I ever experience fungus in my lenses and I have never stored my lenses in the dry cabinet?

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

    Quote Originally Posted by shark78 View Post
    answer is simple. if you can buy the camera gears for thousands of dollar. and yet don't want to invest in cabinet. when fungus grow.
    don't KBKP.
    enough said?
    ya, straight to the point.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    2,567

    Default Re: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

    Exactly... for camera collectors.

  9. #49
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    impressive, maybe you can share more of your secret of keeping fungus away beside not putting camera in a aircon room or regular clearing air con filter. that will be great help to many others.

    btw, this year is only 2009, have to wait another 9 years for the Nikon F4 to be 30 years old.

    There's no secret. In my house I have dehumidifiers (Delonghi) and air filters (Honeywell) running 24/7 because wife is asthmatic. Besides, I try not to take photos in the rain even if my camera is claimed to be water proofed with 1000 seals.

    If you have aircon, try to give it some chemical cleaning once a year. Wash and dry your aircon filters at least once a month, more often if you need to. You will be surprised by the amount of vegetation. Aircon filter is fungus laden. It is there even when you clean it monthly. That's why I said "Hint".

    At the end of the day it's how you treat the camera. Clean it throughly after each outing. Treat it gently and it will give you years of faithful service.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  10. #50

    Default Re: Who doesn't use dry cabinet?

    In the nutshell.

    If you are just having a camera, 2 lens and a flash. Go for drybox, it won't kill your equipment.

    If you are just having a compact or prosumer cam. Just get the damn air tight lock box and NTUC packet form jumbo dehumifier if you don't know what silica gel is.

    If you can accomodate an electric dry cabinet (dry cabinet can be desilicate base), then use it, as it is optimal choice.

    The last choice of option is having well sized dehumidifer of your entire room or house, provide it is closed. Air filter is no guarantee unless you ozone shock an old room first.

  11. #51
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

    Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post

    There's no secret. In my house I have dehumidifiers (Delonghi) and air filters (Honeywell) running 24/7 because wife is asthmatic. Besides, I try not to take photos in the rain even if my camera is claimed to be water proofed with 1000 seals.

    If you have aircon, try to give it some chemical cleaning once a year. Wash and dry your aircon filters at least once a month, more often if you need to. You will be surprised by the amount of vegetation. Aircon filter is fungus laden. It is there even when you clean it monthly. That's why I said "Hint".

    At the end of the day it's how you treat the camera. Clean it throughly after each outing. Treat it gently and it will give you years of faithful service.
    thanks for sharing your tips, really appreciate that.
    But can I conclude that even I'm using a 200L dry cabinet still cheaper than your current installation in term of initial set up and maintenance?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  12. #52

    Default Re: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

    i have a dry box for 15 years already...

    before that my lens would mould in 3-4 months.

    But generally if you subject your camera to constant varying humidity/temperature.. it is not a condusive environment for the fungus/mould to grow.

    My work camera is seldom in the dry box. my collection cameras are in dry box.

    both never get fungus.

    Fungus grows fastest if you put the camera in the same place and leave it there unmoved.

  13. #53
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    thanks for sharing your tips, really appreciate that.
    But can I conclude that even I'm using a 200L dry cabinet still cheaper than your current installation in term of initial set up and maintenance?

    You're right...still cheaper anytime.

    Except Wife's health demands that I have dehumidifiers and air filters in the house which I have no choice. I guess that since the stupid whole house is a giant "dry cabinet" I can save a few quid by not buying a dry cabinet. The humidity in my house is roughly 65% which is about the upper limit to prevent mildew from popping up.

    The point really is that after each use, I make it a point to clean up the equipment so that I don't leave my perspiration and skin flakes onto the camera which will fester mould growth. Of course our fellow brothers at CS would probably have other tips as well and I look forward to learn from them.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  14. #54
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

    Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post

    You're right...still cheaper anytime.

    Except Wife's health demands that I have dehumidifiers and air filters in the house which I have no choice. I guess that since the stupid whole house is a giant "dry cabinet" I can save a few quid by not buying a dry cabinet. The humidity in my house is roughly 65% which is about the upper limit to prevent mildew from popping up.

    The point really is that after each use, I make it a point to clean up the equipment so that I don't leave my perspiration and skin flakes onto the camera which will fester mould growth. Of course our fellow brothers at CS would probably have other tips as well and I look forward to learn from them.
    yes, I understand you have to do it this way.

    maybe you can consider this product to clean the gears after shoots..

    Anyone used Cyber Clean to clean lens?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  15. #55

    Default Re: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

    My understanding is asthma attack will worsen in dry air, so why dehumidifier instead of humdifier?

    Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post

    You're right...still cheaper anytime.

    Except Wife's health demands that I have dehumidifiers and air filters in the house which I have no choice. I guess that since the stupid whole house is a giant "dry cabinet" I can save a few quid by not buying a dry cabinet. The humidity in my house is roughly 65% which is about the upper limit to prevent mildew from popping up.

    The point really is that after each use, I make it a point to clean up the equipment so that I don't leave my perspiration and skin flakes onto the camera which will fester mould growth. Of course our fellow brothers at CS would probably have other tips as well and I look forward to learn from them.

  16. #56

    Default Re: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

    I just put in a newly bought rechargeable dehumidifier in my dry box, very nice RH ~ 40 to 42% . No worries....
    Last edited by siaoguitar; 15th November 2009 at 12:58 PM.
    Olympus E-510 / 14-42mm / 40-150mm / OM 50mm / Sigma 70-210mm
    > the human eye, the ultimate sensor <

  17. #57

    Default Re: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

    if fungus grow on our lens, can we bring it to the service to get it cleaned?

  18. #58

    Default Re: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

    Yes, you can, to people like "camera hospital"

    Quote Originally Posted by kokster View Post
    if fungus grow on our lens, can we bring it to the service to get it cleaned?
    Olympus E-510 / 14-42mm / 40-150mm / OM 50mm / Sigma 70-210mm
    > the human eye, the ultimate sensor <

  19. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Across the Causeway
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

    I'm using a "customized drybox" (hint: unconventional) to store my lens and camera. Of late the space is getting a bit crowded for my liking, but it still is able to store in 3 consumer lenses, 1 3rd-party flash unit, 1 battery grip and other knick-knacks useful for photography.

    I must say, I have yet to see my lens and camera getting that damn fungal outgrowth. *touches wood and prays to God*

  20. #60

    Default Re: Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

    Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    My understanding is asthma attack will worsen in dry air, so why dehumidifier instead of humdifier?
    coz if the air is humid and fungus starts to grow in unseen corners of the house, they release spores which can worsen asthma.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •