Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    For filters, which are the most essential ones, besides the default UV filter?
    I'm thinking ND filters but I don't want to bring too many - which ND filter is the most useful/ widely used?
    no others, unless u used GND like me (a rarity) for more than a third of my pics. ND is for waterfalls and coastal. some ppl use CPL but i dun. filters are cumbersome so if you dun use it, you dun need it.

On power issues, since I will be going all over the place, do you know where I can get those universal power adaptor cum converter? I mean something that not only is able to fit multiple socket head but converts the electrical voltage as well. I've come across something that does this on the net but it is expensive. Wonder if can find it around here for cheaper.
    universal socket is available at various DIY shops at major shopping centres. but i dun think you need to convert electrical voltage on a transfomer, which is very heavy. our 220-240V appliances will just take a lower charging from those 110-120V power point, but our appliances dun get spoilt. however, do you have some devices that already need transformer here?

I have 8Gb + 8Gb + 2 Gb CF cards. Thinking if I should get another 8Gb.
    How much CF card memory do you bring.
    i used SD. the heaviest shoot is when i stay out overnight, used about 9GB (about 5-6MB per pic) for 1.5 days single outing. i have a 160GB buffalo, but just saw the 2.5" external HDDs so cheap now compared to before, 320-500GB cost only $100-150.

Thinking of getting an OTG in case something happens to my laptop.
    You have any recommendations? I don't need to be able to view photos since I have my laptop.
    These OTGs, the good ones are expensive, the cheap ones, I feel that they look flimsy and unreliable.
    What do you think of the cheap ones? (forgot the brand but its common).
    i'm outdated on this info. ppl use fotomore, digimate and compactdrive last time. fotomore is decent for me. digimate not so gd. compactdrive is big but fast.

Don't get what you mean by clothes padded bags or special padding from camping shops.
    normal bag, put gear inside with clothes around to cushion it.
    some places sell paddings that works the same like laptop covers.

Using waist belt with pouches when travelling is convenient for shooting, but doesn't it make it too obvious that you've got expensive lenses in them?
    yes. but i won't say they are the expensive lenses. that is why my mate ask me to stay in tut tut when he go down to bargain.

I'm a bit worried about screaming that I'm a photographer and have expensive camera gear with me when travelling, though I like this idea.
    google black rapid. if i can make it for next sgtravelcafe meeting. i can bring and show you.

Wah, 10-15L bag ok for you?!? I'll definitely need something bigger.
    need proper packing. sometimes small bag limit you so that you dun bring too heavy and too much things on the go.

Tripod is the one that I had been in a dilemma. I have the 1.1kg Gitzo and 300g Markins that you were talking about but this adds up to almost 1.5 kg which is quite a lot of weight in my opinion. I do foresee that it will be frequently useful but I don't want to lug that extra weight around.
    1.5kg is very good weight already. that is about the best weight for a decent tripod...

In the end, I decided to get a Jobi Gorrilapod but I haven't gone to the shop to see yet. What do you think of using this? I'm worried that it may be difficult to use, in terms of being able to find things that it can attach to.
    yup, haven't use it but it is more for urban and fanciful shots. you may not get the desired composition. but it will help in some locations. not too light, i think. but dunno how heavy...

I always get insurance for travel but I haven't found anything that is good and fairly economical.
    i dun think insurance for camera gear is economical....

by the way, i got suck into getting LX3. maybe with a viewfinder. well, that is one way to cut down weight also...

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    no others, unless u used GND like me (a rarity) for more than a third of my pics. ND is for waterfalls and coastal. some ppl use CPL but i dun. filters are cumbersome so if you dun use it, you dun need it.
    Ah, I meant GND actually, but typed ND. Yup... GND, how many stops is most frequently used? Never used these before but want to try. I know there are 3 different stops. May not want to get all. Just get 1 or 2 more frequently used ones.

universal socket is available at various DIY shops at major shopping centres. but i dun think you need to convert electrical voltage on a transfomer, which is very heavy. our 220-240V appliances will just take a lower charging from those 110-120V power point, but our appliances dun get spoilt. however, do you have some devices that already need transformer here?
    Oh thanks for telling me this. I thought I will need a converter to make it the same voltage as the appliance. I saw an all-in-one gadget on the net before that is adaptor cum converter and it wasn't very large but price was quite large, from memory.

i'm outdated on this info. ppl use fotomore, digimate and compactdrive last time. fotomore is decent for me. digimate not so gd. compactdrive is big but fast.
    Ahhh... the cheap one I was referring to is digimate. Yahh, doesn't seem so good... give me an unreliable feeling. Compactdrive got new model, small and compact and fast but price is very not small. The fastest and very compact one is Nexto (my memory came back suddenly) but also expensive. I haven't heard of fotomore leh. How much is it? If I cannot find an OTG that is good and not expensive, I might just do with an external hdd (yeah, they are very cheap now).

yes. but i won't say they are the expensive lenses. that is why my mate ask me to stay in tut tut when he go down to bargain.
    Err... I got no mate...
    Have you ever encountered any dangers with the waist pouch?

google black rapid. if i can make it for next sgtravelcafe meeting. i can bring and show you.
    I know black rapid lah. I did contemplate this for a while. But then, later I DIY'ed something like that and I did not like the way it works. Now I use something that is in between black rapid and normal camera strap. I just use a Martin strap and I make it very long (its at the max already), and it extends to my waist and I sling it the same way you would with black rapid (this might only work for me cos I'm short... haha!)

1.5kg is very good weight already. that is about the best weight for a decent tripod...
    When shooting around Singapore, the weight is ok. But on my last trip, it was a pain lugging it around as I moved from place to place with all my other luggage. It is also a little long, I find. I think I want to sell it to fund other stuff. If I have money, I would like to get the traveller series - that could be luggable.

yup, haven't use it but it is more for urban and fanciful shots. you may not get the desired composition. but it will help in some locations. not too light, i think. but dunno how heavy...
    No leh... I saw on the website, they used for landscapes.
    Oh, its very light. The SLR-Zoom model is around 250g and can take up to 70-200 f4L (3kg). The largest model, the focus is larger and heavier at 500g but can take 5kg, I think. The SLR-zoom will be enough for me.

i dun think insurance for camera gear is economical....

by the way, i got suck into getting LX3. maybe with a viewfinder. well, that is one way to cut down weight also...
    I was thinking travel insurance in general. They usually cover laptop up to $1000 and other items up to $500. Other things like accident, medical, repatriation expenses and the usual travel stuff is also covered. I dunno lah... this is another area of headache... quite expensive. Still looking for a good deal... haha. Or some way to get around this.

I have tried LX3 before. It's a really good compact and I was very tempted to get it too. The dynamic range is very good and the colours are very good.
    But no lah... compact cams have shutter lag, slow to focus, poor low ISO (no matter how good, this cam's low ISO is not very good) and not as versatile with lenses, etc. The only and biggest advantage over SLR is weight and price (though these are big advantages).
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Ah, I meant GND actually, but typed ND. Yup... GND, how many stops is most frequently used? Never used these before but want to try. I know there are 3 different stops. May not want to get all. Just get 1 or 2 more frequently used ones.
    tianya only got 2 stop, abt $10-20. cokin abt $20-35. hitech/tiffen abt $50. singh ray abt $150. vaguely from memory, and outdated. just take it as rough guide. 1-2 stop more natural. but you need to get a filter holder from cokin (ask cathay). tianya can get from oriental or check cs for mass order or sale.

Ahhh... the cheap one I was referring to is digimate. Yahh, doesn't seem so good... give me an unreliable feeling. Compactdrive got new model, small and compact and fast but price is very not small. The fastest and very compact one is Nexto (my memory came back suddenly) but also expensive. I haven't heard of fotomore leh. How much is it? If I cannot find an OTG that is good and not expensive, I might just do with an external hdd (yeah, they are very cheap now).
    fotomore and nexto is same company. fotomore abt $100 but that is almost 3 years ago.

Err... I got no mate...
    Have you ever encountered any dangers with the waist pouch?
    my friend, a big size guy, have two encounters with his side pocket. not that his wallet is revealing, but his money did show in one occasion when he is paying in a convinience stall. a girl in her 20s slip her hand into his pocket, at a place near sarajevo. another time, a beggar in her 50s try to do the same when he got down the taxi.

waist pouch. u got to see. is it inconvinient to take out money? if it is, and if it takes time to take out money, and your money show, also got problem. i used to get a pacsafe wallet with un-cuttable neck-strap and put it in wallet with a carabina to my pants, but it is too big and cumbersome.

you can consider DIY but having a small wallet that you can afford to punch hole (got to use those leather belt puncher which you can ask your mum if she know any neighbourhood stall aunties who sell clothes and willing to help), then get those smaller "metallic"-coating chains (look like those for dogs) with a small carabina catch (you may be able to find it at some of the hardware stores "wu jin dian"). this will show and is a little ugly, but it let the pickpocket know you are safety-conscious, and it is more difficult to remove carabina and take both wallet and chain smoothly, and they may not make the attempt. it also allow you to use the wallet conviniently.

I know black rapid lah. I did contemplate this for a while. But then, later I DIY'ed something like that and I did not like the way it works. Now I use something that is in between black rapid and normal camera strap. I just use a Martin strap and I make it very long (its at the max already), and it extends to my waist and I sling it the same way you would with black rapid (this might only work for me cos I'm short... haha!)
    black rapid mechanism a bit complicated for me to understand so not sure if yours and BR the same. but if it works for you, anything is fine.

It is also a little long, I find. I think I want to sell it to fund other stuff. If I have money, I would like to get the traveller series - that could be luggable.
    mine is a 785gm 4 segment gitzo G1058 which is 46cm long. is your 1.1kg tripod about this size? weight and length of the traveller seems about this range also, 36-43cm, 1 to 1.3kg, worth the change?

http://www.gitzo.com/cms/site/gitzo/...ipods/traveler

No leh... I saw on the website, they used for landscapes.
    Oh, its very light. The SLR-Zoom model is around 250g and can take up to 70-200 f4L (3kg). The largest model, the focus is larger and heavier at 500g but can take 5kg, I think. The SLR-zoom will be enough for me.
    of cos they will show pics where it can be deployed. if you are in a coast with only rocks or a forest with no low branches, where to clamp the pods? but then i have not tried it. maybe after you try can give some feedbacks..

I have tried LX3 before. It's a really good compact and I was very tempted to get it too. The dynamic range is very good and the colours are very good.
    But no lah... compact cams have shutter lag, slow to focus, poor low ISO (no matter how good, this cam's low ISO is not very good) and not as versatile with lenses, etc. The only and biggest advantage over SLR is weight and price (though these are big advantages).
    thinking of panasonic GF1 with EVF and pancake 20mm lens. but haven't found suitable affordable leather casing with holes to assess controls. below $150 i find it an affordable luxury but those 200-300 seems a bit too wasteful to spend on...

fotomore and nexto is same company. fotomore abt $100 but that is almost 3 years ago.
    About $100 is ok. I saw on website that it is 100g but it looks quite big. Is it that light?
    Where can I get it?

waist pouch. u got to see. is it inconvinient to take out money? if it is, and if it takes time to take out money, and your money show, also got problem. i used to get a pacsafe wallet with un-cuttable neck-strap and put it in wallet with a carabina to my pants, but it is too big and cumbersome.
    Actually, I was asking about using the Think Tank waist system with pouches for the lens.
    Did you encounter any dangers for this?
    I'm more worried about losing my equipment than anything else really, since I wouldn't carry much cash on me and even passport lost, just go embassy and kenna questioned and get stuck waiting for new passport. But if gear lost, it's like my life savings lost... haha! Besides getting raped, murdered, paralysed, losing limbs and other such severe injuries, losing my gear is the worst thing that can happen to me on a trip!

mine is a 785gm 4 segment gitzo G1058 which is 46cm long. is your 1.1kg tripod about this size? weight and length of the traveller seems about this range also, 36-43cm, 1 to 1.3kg, worth the change?
    I can't remember offhand but I know it is quite a lot longer as it is 3 section. And yes, heavier and bulkier than traveller. I think traveller is almost half kg lighter (estimated) - that's a lot! Just think how many half kgs does a budget airline allow you to check in... haha.

of cos they will show pics where it can be deployed. if you are in a coast with only rocks or a forest with no low branches, where to clamp the pods? but then i have not tried it. maybe after you try can give some feedbacks..
    Haha... that's true lah.
    If cannot clamp, it can stand on the ground like a normal tripod too... just that its short lah... low angle shot lor.

thinking of panasonic GF1 with EVF and pancake 20mm lens. but haven't found suitable affordable leather casing with holes to assess controls. below $150 i find it an affordable luxury but those 200-300 seems a bit too wasteful to spend on...
    I heard this GF1 is good... heard some say better than LX3 but I haven't investigated them.
    Yah, $2-300 for a case is definitely overboard.
    Cut the holes yourself lor? Haha....
    Maybe they will make more casings later on.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

About $100 is ok. I saw on website that it is 100g but it looks quite big. Is it that light?
    Where can I get it?
    light. but maybe got better models now.
    memory world. can ask for more advices there.
    http://www.simlimsquare.com.sg/stores_floor/l4?page=1

Actually, I was asking about using the Think Tank waist system with pouches for the lens.
    Did you encounter any dangers for this?
    it gets cumbesome when you sit down so i took it off at delhi's connaught square kentucky and put on the floor. becos it is low, i forgot to take it when i left. 15mins later, i realised and rush back, luckily they kept it in the storeroom and didn't pretend they didn't know.

it should be very safe. the velcro is quite tight but dun overload each pouch if you dun use the extra "lock" available on the system. if you want to have double protection against dropping of the whole belt, see if your clothing got anyplace to hook it on and use a carabina to hook the belt on. so that even if it fall, it will not fall all the way. TK can let u try and they have a lot of different pouches.

I can't remember offhand but I know it is quite a lot longer as it is 3 section. And yes, heavier and bulkier than traveller. I think traveller is almost half kg lighter (estimated) - that's a lot! Just think how many half kgs does a budget airline allow you to check in... haha.
    too light are prone to toppling when u use long lens. if you do, reconsider.

it gets cumbesome when you sit down so i took it off at delhi's connaught square kentucky and put on the floor. becos it is low, i forgot to take it when i left. 15mins later, i realised and rush back, luckily they kept it in the storeroom and didn't pretend they didn't know.
    You must have a lot of near-misses or even horror travel stories to share. Would be interested to read some of them.
    The perp slipping her hand into your friend's pocket seems really brazen. Outerwear with zippered pockets sounds like a better idea now; I must get rid of my habit of stuffing items into the open-end front pockets of my hoodie.
    OT: Am also surprised you now carry a 80-200mm, that's a weight-y lens no?
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Zichar View Post
    You must have a lot of near-misses or even horror travel stories to share. Would be interested to read some of them.
    The perp slipping her hand into your friend's pocket seems really brazen. Outerwear with zippered pockets sounds like a better idea now; I must get rid of my habit of stuffing items into the open-end front pockets of my hoodie.
    OT: Am also surprised you now carry a 80-200mm, that's a weight-y lens no?
    i probably didn't feel like talking abt my bad experiences, though they ain't that traumatic to the extent of serious injury and threats of death/near death. i did fall over a concrete slope of abt 2m but my head landed nicely in a small drain and i only got bad abrasions on my shoulders, arms and knees. that was at night so i didn't know how badly i was hurt till i reach the minshuku.

i however did have a couple of distant schoolmate or distant relative who died in travel. one probably fell to death while photographing the waterfall. one died of unknown reason in the hotel only to be found days later - no autopsy.

OT: 80-200 f/2 is great if you have something that can only be done with this lens. e.g. distant portrait. but it's hell of a weight and problem is it needs a suitable padded pouch to cushion and to spread its weight. i used the unpadded thinktank for this and hated it. probably got to look like the padded one, i got the padded (long lens + camera) pouch but it is too big as i realise i dun it to hold the camera+lens, i just need one who hold the lens. saying which i won't get to travel till end of next year, so it is something i will just kiv.
    Last edited by zoossh; 30th November 2009 at 10:16 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123