Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    On a long trip (~6 months), you really don't want to lug a lot of stuff around.
    Don't forget, you may have to pack summer + winter wear too = a lot of basic stuff already.

    What photographic gear would you bring if you really must minimise weight?
    Tripod and flash going along?
    I am cracking my head deciding what to bring.
    Sighhhh...... Any advice/ recommendations?

    (P.S. Do note this thread is slightly but significantly different from the other thread asking what people bring. Emphasis here is travelling light for a long trip).
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    Specific to my needs, would be

    1) 40D
    2) 17-55
    3) 70-200 F4IS
    4) cleaning kit
    5) tripod (benro)
    6) laptop

    Think should be sufficient for me.

  3. #3
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    camera + 1 lens + small flash + small tripod/table pod + spare battery + lots of memory cards + notebook + chargers

  4. #4
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    make no difference if a 3 day or 3 months trip...... except maybe bring along a cleaning kit, a backup camera and a larger capacity memory storage device for a trip longer than a week

  5. #5

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    1) Camera body
    2) 17-55 or equivalent
    3) cleaning kit
    4) tripod
    5) laptop
    6) PnS for back up.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    I'm thinking whether to bring tripod or not... and flash too.
    The tripod was a pain during my last trip in terms of being a troublesome bulky stick and the weight. The weight of my gear was a pain on my last trip as I had brought tripod, big flash, 3 medium lens + 1 big lens + 1 body.
    I realise I would not want to carry so much weight (don't forget I have own luggage too) so I'm thinking of how I can reduce the stuff that I bring.
    On the other hand, I worried of not bringing something that I would need. Sighhhh...
    I am considering not bringing my tripod, macro lens and flash.
    And just to take body + 3 small-medium lens (UWA, medium prime, telezoom) + the extras like cards, battery, cleaning kit, etc.
    Also, since it is a long trip, I would be bringing my laptop and that is already 2 kg!
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore
    Posts
    97

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    Where will you be going?

    Tripod is essential to me cos i will like to capture night scenes of those countries..
    For me, flash is less essential than tripod...

  8. #8

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    Mine would be
    > D700
    > 24-70mmf2.8
    > 70-300mm f4-5.6VR
    > SB800 ( maybe pending on activites/counries)
    > Xpan n film
    > Vosonic portable storage
    > lightest tripod ( a pain to bring but if there's not much chance to use then don't)

    No laptop because if going for long trips,it's the biggest headache to lug one along because with the various chargers,backpack will be damn heavy and security will be compromised. Security because leaving it at the hostel inside the backpack will be iffy plus there will be lotsa transport to be taken so can't store it in the main backpack as it may get crushed.

    Cheers

  9. #9

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    18-200mm and a wide angles lens is okay, plus the 50mm 1.8 is so small that you can actually put inside your pocket. hehehe a gorillapod and a flash.
    Nikon D90 : Nikkor 18-200VRII : Nikkor 18-55 VR : Nikkor 50mm f1.8 : Nikon SB-900

  10. #10

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    LX3 or I would get m4/3

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    Quote Originally Posted by plasticeye View Post
    18-200mm and a wide angles lens is okay, plus the 50mm 1.8 is so small that you can actually put inside your pocket. hehehe a gorillapod and a flash.
    Ahhh... gorillapod! That's an idea!
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  12. #12
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Ahhh... gorillapod! That's an idea!
    ... yes. And I would sincerely suggest that you get a good one while you are at it.
    You are not going to risk your multi-thousand dollar setup crashing onto the floor as a result of a sub-standard quality gorillapod...
    My very very humble recommendation.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    ... yes. And I would sincerely suggest that you get a good one while you are at it.
    You are not going to risk your multi-thousand dollar setup crashing onto the floor as a result of a sub-standard quality gorillapod...
    My very very humble recommendation.
    Of course will get the original one.
    Even this already looks risky enough, but at least it is reputable.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  14. #14
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Of course will get the original one.
    Even this already looks risky enough, but at least it is reputable.
    Haha... I totally agree with you, WuffRuff.
    Actually, the Gorillapod Focus isn't too bad. Strong and tough. Can cling on to lots of things as its legs are well capable of contorting into all angles.
    My equipment weighs around 4-5kg, and they are held well by this pod.
    I've decided to bring the Gorilla instead of my tripod for my upcoming trip...

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Haha... I totally agree with you, WuffRuff.
    Actually, the Gorillapod Focus isn't too bad. Strong and tough. Can cling on to lots of things as its legs are well capable of contorting into all angles.
    My equipment weighs around 4-5kg, and they are held well by this pod.
    I've decided to bring the Gorilla instead of my tripod for my upcoming trip...
    Wahh! You are brave to put 4-5 kg on it!
    My equipment weighs even less so it should be even safer and more stable.
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna take this too instead of my tripod... I kinda haven't got over the pain of lugging my tripod around on my last trip!
    Where got good deals for this?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  16. #16
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Wahh! You are brave to put 4-5 kg on it!
    My equipment weighs even less so it should be even safer and more stable.
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna take this too instead of my tripod... I kinda haven't got over the pain of lugging my tripod around on my last trip!
    Where got good deals for this?
    The Gorillapod Focus is the highest of the Joby Gorillapod range.
    It can take a max load of 5kg.
    For the Joby pods, I have confidence in it. Personally won't screw my equipment on any other third party gorillas...
    Cathay Photo is the sole agent. Won't say it's good deal lah, but I just buy it from them lor.
    The second level in the range is the cheaper $90 Gorillapod (can't remember the model name) but this one can only hold up to 3kg.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    Darn.... in the beginning i thought u guys was just kidding about bringing the gorilapod.
    Just shoot.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    gorillapod is a must...

    however i have not much experience in long trips (On what to bring)

    but my dad went on a 4 mth trip to italy and this is what he brought,

    D200
    18-200
    50mm f/1.4
    Quite a few cf cards
    Thinktank speed freak
    Pentax K-x

  19. #19
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Lomographer View Post
    gorillapod is a must...

    however i have not much experience in long trips (On what to bring)

    but my dad went on a 4 mth trip to italy and this is what he brought,

    D200
    18-200
    50mm f/1.4
    Quite a few cf cards
    Thinktank speed freak
    Haiyah... I finally still decided to bring both my tripod as well as my Gorilla for my coming trip. Weight is not an issue. Can leave the tripod in the vehicle. But will carry the Gorilla when I walk around.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: Travel Light photographic gear for long trip

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Haiyah... I finally still decided to bring both my tripod as well as my Gorilla for my coming trip. Weight is not an issue. Can leave the tripod in the vehicle. But will carry the Gorilla when I walk around.
    In japan, weight is no issue as well cos home is only an hour away from wherever i go in tokyo

    but anywhere else, i wouldn't bring too many things.

    the gorillapod is still ok
    Pentax K-x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •