Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 127

Thread: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

  1. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    It's more of an everyday kind of lens that makes you want to bring out your DSLR more often. To my knowledge , there are only 3 pancakes - Zuiko 40/2, Contax Tesser 45/2.8 and this. This being the only one that will be available in native EF mount, with AF confirmation and aspherical lens element.
    That's right.
    Pancake size is tempting.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    so besides getting a portrait lens between 100L and 135L . You also get 2 macro lens 125/2.5 and 175/2.5 with the addition of tc. I don't have the 2x tc to try. Judging by the 1.4x tc, the 2x tc may give 250/2.5 ?
    What do you think about the feasibility of using this lens as a tele travel lens, coupled with TC?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,197

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    What do you think about the feasibility of using this lens as a tele travel lens, coupled with TC?
    depends what you are shooting when you travel. For landscape and still life, it is fine. For people, by the time you can focus, the moment would have gone. This lens is more for precise focusing on subject that can wait.

    edit: I tried using this lens for far subjects. Oh my, bloody sharp. I am wrong to say that the focus throw is too long. When taking distance shots, the focus throw is actually quite short, allowing fast focusing. It is the 0.3 - 1.5m that the rest of the focusing throw is used for. So it makes a perfect travel lens. in fact, pair it with a UWA and it is all that you need.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 12th November 2009 at 03:17 AM.

  4. #64

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    depends what you are shooting when you travel. For landscape and still life, it is fine. For people, by the time you can focus, the moment would have gone. This lens is more for precise focusing on subject that can wait.
    No disrespect bro, but i know someone who shoots lovely shots of kids with this lens, and going by the shots I saw, the kids don't look like they were sitting still, but not running around either.

    I think using a rough ground focusing screen like the XX-s series screens will help as the focus 'SNAPS' in and out really, really fast.

    Also need to predict and prepare/pre-focus the lens a bit if one wants to get streets and candids. And practice a LOT.

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,197

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    Quote Originally Posted by proteonXPR View Post
    its just that the electronics dont register it but there is light loss
    Yes, you are right. There is loss of light. The OVF is dimmer and shutter speed reduced by half. Seems like it has dropped 1 stop which means it is at f5.0. So that would mean the 2x TC would not be usable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    No disrespect bro, but i know someone who shoots lovely shots of kids with this lens, and going by the shots I saw, the kids don't look like they were sitting still, but not running around either.
    I am still learning this lens. My earlier statement is made without having used the lens enough. You are right. This lens is sharp wide open which makes it a very fast lens.

  6. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    It's still considered relatively rare (at least in Singapore) anyways.

    Another question. Maybe a bit trivial to those in the know, but how does this lens compare to its 90mm brother?

  7. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    edit: I tried using this lens for far subjects. Oh my, bloody sharp. I am wrong to say that the focus throw is too long. When taking distance shots, the focus throw is actually quite short, allowing fast focusing. It is the 0.3 - 1.5m that the rest of the focusing throw is used for. So it makes a perfect travel lens. in fact, pair it with a UWA and it is all that you need.
    Ahh... that's cool. Yeah, did find it easier to focus, the further the subject is.
    I've used it to shoot the moon on Mid Autumn Festival before - set to infinity and when I zoomed into the photo review to show me friend, she said can see Chang Er! Hahaha!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    No disrespect bro, but i know someone who shoots lovely shots of kids with this lens, and going by the shots I saw, the kids don't look like they were sitting still, but not running around either.

    I think using a rough ground focusing screen like the XX-s series screens will help as the focus 'SNAPS' in and out really, really fast.

    Also need to predict and prepare/pre-focus the lens a bit if one wants to get streets and candids. And practice a LOT.
    Think using larger aperture if in bright daylight helps in getting focussing too.
    What is XX-s series screen? You mean split screen?

    Yeahhh... practice a lot! Get what you mean. I tried using it for a concert before and it was a high energy one with the artists running and jumping about... almost puked blood! Real tough to get accurately focussed shots!
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  8. #68

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    Has hit US 1.6K with almost an entire day to go ...

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250528343093

    DANGED!

    I didn't know the green box units were for Japanese domestic use (and you know what THAT means!), and the Silver box units were for export! Which version do you guys have?
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 16th November 2009 at 10:58 PM.

  9. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Has hit US 1.6K with almost an entire day to go ...

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250528343093

    DANGED!

    I didn't know the green box units were for Japanese domestic use (and you know what THAT means!), and the Silver box units were for export! Which version do you guys have?
    Mine came in a silver box.
    Japanese domestic use means what?
    What is the difference?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  10. #70

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    Word has it that the Japanese reserve the cream of the crop for their own consumption, which is why often, on lists like B&H, you might find the exact same Canon lens, one is a US import, and the other a Japanese import. The Japanese will be noticeably higher priced. There's no proof as no manufacturer will ever admit to it, but it seems to happen in some markets.

  11. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Word has it that the Japanese reserve the cream of the crop for their own consumption, which is why often, on lists like B&H, you might find the exact same Canon lens, one is a US import, and the other a Japanese import. The Japanese will be noticeably higher priced. There's no proof as no manufacturer will ever admit to it, but it seems to happen in some markets.
    I see... something quite expected, I guess.
    But for something like a lens, I don't expect a world of difference.
    For electronics, possibly they use some better parts inside.

    My lens was claimed to be bought in Japan though but no evidence from seller (no invoice). Are they green and silver sets in Japan too?
    So which is yours?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  12. #72

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    Green.

    Hehehehehehehehehe!!!

  13. #73

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    woow... didn't know that the price has now shot up to US$1.6k!!!

    No wonder when I put mine up for sale at S$1.4k, I received some 10 PMs. A few actually bargained for a lower price but most are willing to meet my price.

    Decided to keep my copy although I've not been using it much.... Well... will consider letting go there's offer above $2k.

    2 years back, I sold many of this lens for about $800 and some buyers even bargained with me for a lower price.... I told each buyer to keep the lens as the lens will increase in value.

  14. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    3,319

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    Green box is usually for japan domestic consumption.

    For international market it's usually black or other packaging colours.

    There is usually no difference in the lens quality. They come from the same pair of hands and factory in Nakano.

    Production cost of this lens is pretty high. Considering the yen today, if they were to remake this lens, I'm sure it will cost more than USD1.6K if sold new again.

    It was a totally different world before the lehman brother collasped. :-)

  15. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    3,319

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    One more thing to add...

    We really have weekh to thank for stirring quite a rave with this lens... :-)

    Those who were here 2 and a half years ago would know what I meant.

  16. #76

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    Quote Originally Posted by weekh View Post
    woow... didn't know that the price has now shot up to US$1.6k!!!

    No wonder when I put mine up for sale at S$1.4k, I received some 10 PMs. A few actually bargained for a lower price but most are willing to meet my price.

    Decided to keep my copy although I've not been using it much.... Well... will consider letting go there's offer above $2k.

    2 years back, I sold many of this lens for about $800 and some buyers even bargained with me for a lower price.... I told each buyer to keep the lens as the lens will increase in value.

    Thanks to Weekh for introducing many here to the wonders of this lens!

    Not many people could really appreciate the beauty of this lens, and quickly sold it at below SGD1K.

    Despite rumors some time back that Cosina may come out with a SLII version, it seems very unlikely they will be allowed to (negative impact on the current Zeiss range which has more faults), or would stop the Zeiss collaboration which seems to be making tons of moolah for everyone involved.

  17. #77

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    Quote Originally Posted by chiif View Post
    Green box is usually for japan domestic consumption.

    For international market it's usually black or other packaging colours.

    There is usually no difference in the lens quality. They come from the same pair of hands and factory in Nakano.

    Production cost of this lens is pretty high. Considering the yen today, if they were to remake this lens, I'm sure it will cost more than USD1.6K if sold new again.

    It was a totally different world before the lehman brother collasped. :-)
    Not different production lines or hands.

    Manufacturers may select the 'creme of the crop' at final QC inspection stages, reserve it as a 'select' lot for their own people, or sell it to preferred customers ... after supplying to their own first.

  18. #78

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro


  19. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    3,319

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    Weekh,

    Seems like your base asking price now should be SGD3K at least....

  20. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,197

    Default Re: Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro

    Wah...mine is the green box JDM in EF mount. Mint! can sell for S$4k already. Who is interested before I start taking it out in the field and use it?
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 18th November 2009 at 12:55 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •