Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kota Kinabalu Trip

Default Re: Kota Kinabalu Trip

Quote Originally Posted by clioboy View Post
    like to disagree..Timphon is hell going up and slippery..Mesilau is longer but easier on the knees..going down take Timphon..

oh..some of my photos..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davios/...7622129494508/
    My thoughts exactly! Up - Mesilau, Down - Timpohon.... best of both world.
    Canon EOS 40D | EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Hi, just to share additional info I found out, some of the travel agencies also recommend Timpohon due to Mesilau being longer and also most of my team are new to mountain climbing. A group of 8 and above should get me good rates so I was told.
    I second that. If this is your first attempt at mountain climbing, or summitting is your primary goal, then do Timpohon. My group was previously contemplating this too, and we reasoned that we should try to reach Laban Rata as early as possible and rest well for the main summit push, and therefore chose the Timpohon route.
    Last edited by Stuffed; 10th November 2009 at 02:22 PM.

Oh yah, some additional qns,
    3. Heard of these agency - TakemetoAsia or PacWest? Recommended by a friend for convenience ease.
    Yes I'm familiar with Pacwest. Their boss Francis is a great guy and a veteran in mountaineering, and I my 1st high altitude trip in year 2000 to Kilimanjaro was with him. Not sure whether he is still running the show though, and for smaller trip like Kinabalu, it will probably be just one of his trip leaders.

Hi, just to share additional info I found out, some of the travel agencies also recommend Timpohon due to Mesilau being longer and also most of my team are new to mountain climbing. A group of 8 and above should get me good rates so I was told.
    If your team is large enough and you have some members that are fitter then the rest, you can consider splitting up the group. One group will take the Timpohon trail while the other the Mesilau trail. It will be slightly more expensive since you are hiring 2 guides, but it is more versatile. For your fitness level, with some conditioning I'm quite sure you'd have no problem doing Mesilau. And going up by Mesilau and coming down by Timpohon is excellent choice, and in fact all my trips there were done this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffed View Post
    I second that. If this is your first attempt at mountain climbing, or summitting is your primary goal, then do Timpohon. My group was previously contemplating this too, and we reasoned that we should try to reach Laban Rata as early as possible and rest well for the main summit push, and therefore chose the Timpohon route.
    Yes that's right. If the general fitness of your team is not really great, then do it via Timpohon. This will give you more time to rest at Laban Rata and help increasing your chance of summitting the next morning. Also, most agency will arrange the trip such that you'll descend the same day right after summit attempt in order to save cost. While this is doable, it is highly physically demanding and do not provide you a second chance for the summit. For my trips I would usually plan for staying one additional night at Laban Rata after the summit attempt. If the weather is bad, you would at least have another shot for the summit the next morning. Otherwise if you're successful in the 1st summit attempt, you can just relax and enjoy the rest of the afternoon, and only descend the next morning. In one of my Mt. Kinabalu, we encountered strong wind and heavy downpour due to Typhoon Ling Ling, and was unseccessful in our 1st summit attempt. Luckily we had the spare day and summitted the next day. In another trip where we were blessed with good weather, we spent the rest of the day drinking red wine (we brought 5L up) and enjoying at Laban Rata resthouse, after descending from the summit.

Quote Originally Posted by fatjp View Post
    I am also planning to go next year during May. Do contact me as a team of 12 is cheaper.
    I didnt make it to the summit during my July trip which rain all the way up and down during the 6 hour climb.

1)My guide recommend us to climb during May to june (warmer period)
    2) I brought my 40D up but too tired to take it out. No condensation. The mountain is so beautiful even with a PnS the picture turn out nice.
    3) Use a smaller back pack during the summit climb as you can lost balance and fall down the 60 degree clift.
    4) Bring lots of warm cloths, they charge RM8 per kg of lauage u bring up. You will be too tired or cold to think of eating.
    hey me planning to go next year may too.

Went Mt K in June, made a following observations:
    1) Batteries tends to die out fast on the summit push due to low temperature. Have a couple of spares in order not to miss the summit shots.
    2) Preferably a monopod rather then a tripod to minimise weight. In the event TS is bringing a tripod, dont bother to bring it up to the summit. Its too crowded up there with climbers to even properly set it up.
    3) Bring ample water up the summit. The cold and wind makes you lose water faster then you feel it. Don't skim on them to compensate for the weight of your equipments. A pleasant and safe climb is more important then taking good photos.
    4) Sign up for the "walk the torque" package if they are offering it. Provide some exotic spots for interesting shots.
    5) The rain up there can be sudden and extremely heavy. Make sure water proofing is done well.
    6) Enjoy and trip and not be too overwhelm in protecting your equipment. A few scratches and knocks might be imminent but if you want pristine equipements then better leave them at home

where did you guys get the trip packages from?

i did a search on google but did not find much agencies providing such trips... could me some informations? I dun mind DIY as well (although i read that it cannot be done so...)

See earlier replies. It's mentioned in those posts.

hey guys, do check out this Kinabalu blog for some tips.
    http://mount-kinabalu-borneo.com/blo.../climbers-tips
    I find the "wearing sandals during descend" particularly useful.

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    See earlier replies. It's mentioned in those posts.
    dun have? i know there is links provided to make bookings at the lodge on mt kinabalu and that is many years ago.

I already did my research on goole and found that somehow now there is restrictions for self DIY trips... and only package trips is allowed.

The info is current. The link for booking the lodge is in one of the post I wrote. Anyway here it is again:

Sutera Sanctuary Lodges
    http://www.suterasanctuarylodges.com..._kinabalu.html

They are the one to contact for booking accommodation for DYI trips. Yes you can still DIY, but now you'll need to book the package instead of individual rooms (I've just verified this at Sutera Sanctuary's website). The package includes transport, meals and accommodation. Do note that it is always very pack at Laban Rata & you'll need to book very early before the actual trip date. For packages from local (Sabah) operators, just see the ads below.

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    The info is current. The link for booking the lodge is in one of the post I wrote. Anyway here it is again:

Sutera Sanctuary Lodges
    http://www.suterasanctuarylodges.com..._kinabalu.html

They are the one to contact for booking accommodation for DYI trips. Yes you can still DIY, but now you'll need to book the package instead of individual rooms (I've just verified this at Sutera Sanctuary's website). The package includes transport, meals and accommodation. Do note that it is always very pack at Laban Rata & you'll need to book very early before the actual trip date. For packages from local (Sabah) operators, just see the ads below.
    cool thanks! btw is may a good month to go?

Please read the entire thread. It was already mentioned in post 2 & 14.

To those planning to go, there are many videos on Youtube to help you visualise. Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuwiU...eature=related

and part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAZVn...eature=related

and as usual the Japanese produce some of the best. Here are some stunning pictures of the journey. Enjoy and for those you have been there, some good memories.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuagF...eature=related
    Last edited by Daoyin; 25th November 2009 at 03:11 PM.

book my trip for this coming may!

Jetstar got promotion now. My air tix to KK cost $101 (minus $12 if pay via 7-11, post office). Mt Kinabalu package with Sutera Sanctuary Lodges direct (their email, ssl.reservation@suteraharbour.com.my) cost me RM 834.50 (2D1N).

Itinerary as below:
    Day 1 (24/5/10)

~ 1 way transfer from Kinabalu Park to Mesilau (Anytime before 6pm)
    ~ Over night at Mesilau Nature resorts (Bishop’s head resthouse)
    ~ Dinner at Mesilau

Day 2 (25/5/10)

~ Breakfast at Mesilau
    ~ Packed Lunch from Mesilau (Carry along to Laban Rata )
    ~ Over night at Laban Rata (Laban Rata Resthouse)
    ~ Dinner at Laban Rata

Day 3 (26/5/10)

~ Early supper@2am at Laban Rata (Before Summit)
    ~ Breakfast at Laban Rata (After Summit)
    ~ 1 way transfer from Timpohon gate to Kinabalu Park
    ~ Lunch at Kinabalu Park (After climbing)

by the way i am reaching 1 day earlier for my trip (cos that the available flight for jetstar for that period).

any recommendation for place to stay near Kinabalu Park?

Basically i reach KK on 23rd afternoon, going back on 27th afternoon.

My climb will be on 24-26th. So i need accomodation for 23rd night and 26th night.

My plan is to stay somewhere nearer to Kinabalu Park for 23rd. Then probably stay in KK on 26th before coming back on 27th.

I suggest you stay in KK instead of near Kinabalu Park. There is nothing to do after dark there.

gd time to travel in June? may think of climbing it

went up the summit with a P&S camera about 3 years back.

if i had a dslr back then i would have brought it up. if you start the summit climb at around 3am you should be able to catch sunrise at the summit. can capture nice shots from there.

oh and one thing to note. bring enough spare batteries. when i reached the summit it was -2 degrees C. battery died v quickly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123