Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kota Kinabalu Trip

Default Re: Kota Kinabalu Trip

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    This is only so if you hire porter to carry your luggage. There is no charge if you carry them up yourself. Also, after the 1st day ascent up to Laban Rata, it is vital that you eat and drink to replenish your energy, and rest early to prepare for the summit climb next morning which starts off around 2-3am. You should also take a light breakfast before the summit attempt; the cafeteria at Laban Rata Resthouse is open at that hour to serve breakfast to the climbers, but you'll need to place the order the evening before to avoid long wait.

In case the TS is not aware, there are 2 trails going up to Laban Rata - one is the newer trail called Mesilau trail which is more scenic but harder and longer. The other one is the Timpohon trail (also called power station trail as it passes by a power station) which is shorter and easier. It's about 2 hrs difference between the two, and which one to choose depends on your fitness level.

Before going, I would suggest the TS to train up a little on the physical fitness, so that it is more enjoyable during the actual climb. Training should be done about 3 months in advance, carrying about 4-6kg backpack walking up/down an HDB flat of 24 stories or higher, for 3 or more rounds at least once a week.
    Hi, I hope to take the Mesilau route but will depend on all other members as well. Luv the more scenic option (that's what photography is all about, right?).

Hmm..... so much training required? Thankfully, I do run 15km on a weekly basis but understand climbing is quite different from running. Sigh.....
    Canon EOS 40D | EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Hi, how did you book previously? Through travel agencies or d.i.y? I wonder which is cheaper and is the difference compensate by convenience.....
    I had done it both DIY and through agencies, and of course DIY will be cheaper. But booking through agencies will give you a better chance of getting a bed at Laban Rata Resthouse (I suspect they have some "special connection"). But if you don't mind not staying at the resthouse then DIY is just fine. Panar Laban/Gunting Laganda huts are about 5-10 mins walk up from Laban Rata resthouse. But that does mean you'll need to walk 5-10 mins to the resthouse for your meals and showers.

Hi, I hope to take the Mesilau route but will depend on all other members as well. Luv the more scenic option (that's what photography is all about, right?).

Hmm..... so much training required? Thankfully, I do run 15km on a weekly basis but understand climbing is quite different from running. Sigh.....
    If you run 15km on a weekly basis then your fitness/endurance is already there. Just need to condition your leg muscles by doing the stairs climbing with load. If you are not planning to hire a porter (which I guess you probably not going to as you're fit enough), 4-6kg training is not really a lot, as a normal backpack is around 8-10kg (you'll need to carry at least 2L of water, and that's already 2kg), excluding your photography gears.
    Last edited by ziploc; 7th November 2009 at 10:11 AM.

Ok... here is the contact for DIY booking of accommodations at Park HQ/Laban Rata:
    http://www.suterasanctuarylodges.com..._kinabalu.html

And here are some pics taken during my year 2002 trip there:

1. Trail Map

2. Trail Map at Park HQ

3. View of Mountain from Park HQ (with labels added)

4. Laban Rata Resthouse

5. Laban Rata Sunset

6. Summit Sunrise View

7. Clouds Formation Viewed from Summit

8. South Peak

Btw, these pics were taken with a Canon G2.

These pictures of the trail, the various peaks, and the Resthouse are marvellous.
    You have given us a visual familiarisation of Mount Kinabalu.
    I find it very eye opening and informative. Thank you so much.

Hi, will take note!

Just curious, where did you get the info a team of 12 is cheaper? From travel agencies? I thought a sizeable group should be ok but didn't know there's a min headcount. Did you go as a group of 12 previously?

Since you have been there before, mind sharing how did you do the booking? d.i.y or through travel agencies? Recommendations?

Too many qns, apologies!
    I went with a team of 12.
    YOu have to send them email for quotation.
    Amazing borneo is one that have a local office in SG which state the price.

Hi, i have booked a trip for this dec to mt kinabalu yet, and i have not started training yet My package was booked with an agency, and it comes with a night stay at base camp at Mesilau Resort (Witti Range Lodge) and a night stay at Laban Rata (inclusive of meals) for abt 287 sgd (exclusive of air tix). Not sure if this is expensive...

anyone knows if there is any secure place that i can storage the majority of my luggage at Mesilau Resort when i go for the climb? or do i have to bring all my barang-barang up with me? This decides if i will bring my laptop to KK since i am staying a couple more days in the town

Quote Originally Posted by dared View Post
    Hi, i have booked a trip for this dec to mt kinabalu yet, and i have not started training yet My package was booked with an agency, and it comes with a night stay at base camp at Mesilau Resort (Witti Range Lodge) and a night stay at Laban Rata (inclusive of meals) for abt 287 sgd (exclusive of air tix). Not sure if this is expensive...

anyone knows if there is any secure place that i can storage the majority of my luggage at Mesilau Resort when i go for the climb? or do i have to bring all my barang-barang up with me? This decides if i will bring my laptop to KK since i am staying a couple more days in the town
    This price is actually quite good considering all accommodation and meals included (I assume all meals including 2 dinner, 2 breakfast, and 1 lunch?) when up on the mountain.

As for the luggage, not sure about Mesilau Resort (never stay there before), but you can definitely store your things at Park HQ (they have a storage room just for this purpose). If not staying at Mesilau, normally procedures would be to register with Park HQ in the morning (where you pay up for the various permits and fees and they issue you a badge and a whistle), store your stuffs, meet the guide (and porters if you're hiring), and take the park's 4x4 to the trail head of either Timpohon or Mesilau Gate.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    These pictures of the trail, the various peaks, and the Resthouse are marvellous.
    You have given us a visual familiarisation of Mount Kinabalu.
    I find it very eye opening and informative. Thank you so much.
    You're most welcome.

My advice would be start early in order to reach Laban Rata to view the beautiful sunset and rest well for the early morning summit push. Once you hit the rock surface after Sayat Sayat, the non existent vegetation means you will experience strong cold winds. My face was not protected therefore my nose was numb from the cold! Other than that, maintain a reasonable level of fitness, climb the stairs and hope for good weather for a truly spectacular sunrise.

Quote Originally Posted by dared View Post

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but S$287 is an exceptionally good rate. Perhaps you should re-confirm what it includes. Which agency did you book with?

If you are going down via the Summit Trial, then store your baggage at the Park HQ.

hmmm, we booked via "Sutera Sanctuary Lodges", which appears to be the operator of Laban Rata and the Mesilau Resort (fancy name only, cos the room we are staying in is 6 pax sharing). Based on the quotation, 287sgd (685rm) per pax includes:

Accommodation
    1 night Mesilau Resort
    1 night Laban Rata

Food
    Mesilau Resort
    Steamboat dinner
    Breakfast
    Packed lunch

Laban Rata
    Dinner
    Supper
    Breakfast

Balsam (whereever this is)
    Lunch

Misc
    Foreigner Climbing Permit
    Insurance
    Land Xfer between Kinabalu Park and Mesilau Resort

hmm, anything else that i would need to pay for there? Storage fee for bags at Park HQ? Guide fees? Thanks for all the advices!
    Last edited by dared; 8th November 2009 at 04:00 PM.

I see the price does not include transport from KK to Park HQ or accomodations in KK town. That explains it. Usually guide fees are included in SSL's quote.

Usually people arrive at Park HQ in the morning, registers, gets permits, drop off extra stuff and then gets transported to Mesilau for their start. I don't know what happens to the sequence if you stay at Mesilau the night before. Balsam is the restaurent at Park HQ where you have lunch after descend while your guide organises your certificates.

Enjoy yourselves. Mt Kinabalu is an excellent "first" mountain. Many people have gone on from Kinabalu to higher things.

I had tried both the Mesilau and Timpohon trail before. I suggest for 1st timer to go for the easier timpohon and to target for reaching the peak which will be more rewarding.

I prefer smaller group. Easier to move on and make decision.
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post

Btw, these pics were taken with a Canon G2.
    gawh..u got freaking good weather in 2002

..went up twice..both not allowed to summit due to bad weather in Sept 2009 and Oct 2009..

doing the 3rd time this coming April 2010.

PM me if u need A CONTACT to quote for package..arrange yr own air tix..then the agency there will take over, including all meals, all transport.. this agency is linked directly with Sutera (operator of Laban Rata and surrounding resorts in KK and Mesilau)

weather are getting more and more weird these days..so summitting is not a sure thing these days..prepare for cold and wet weather too. don't play play and underestimate it.
    Prepared to be disappointed.

1st time there in Sept 09 weather was bad going up..good on the summit.
    Look good right?? the wind was 70-80km/h at Sayat Sayat hut..got turned back by the ranger there..

2nd time in Oct 09 weather was perfect going up..horrible on the summit..
    can't even see the peaks..and raining and wind howling the whole time.

oh..rem to bring ear plugs if u are a light sleeper..thin walls and howling winds..
    Last edited by clioboy; 8th November 2009 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dominator View Post
    I had tried both the Mesilau and Timpohon trail before. I suggest for 1st timer to go for the easier timpohon and to target for reaching the peak which will be more rewarding.

like to disagree..Timphon is hell going up and slippery..Mesilau is longer but easier on the knees..going down take Timphon..

oh..some of my photos..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davios/...7622129494508/

Thanks for all the feedback, keep rolling in, ok?
    Looks like a lot of work will need to be done. Headache soon.....

Oh yah, some additional qns,

1. Any recommendation for airfare? Budget best, I presume.
    2. Combo with lodgings more worthwhile or separate?
    3. Heard of these agency - TakemetoAsia or PacWest? Recommended by a friend for convenience ease.

Oh yah, some additional qns,

1. Any recommendation for airfare? Budget best, I presume.
    2. Combo with lodgings more worthwhile or separate?
    3. Heard of these agency - TakemetoAsia or PacWest? Recommended by a friend for convenience ease.
    The answers to the above questions should be apparent to yourself once you know what kind of traveller you are. Decide what you are prepared to settle for or NOT prepared to settle for and then ask around.

I have travalled with PacWest once to Sabah. No complaints about them. They are just a tour agency that happens to do "adventure" tours. Another would be Universal Travel at Chinatown Centre. You can go compare prices and services.

Quote Originally Posted by dominator View Post

Hi, just to share additional info I found out, some of the travel agencies also recommend Timpohon due to Mesilau being longer and also most of my team are new to mountain climbing. A group of 8 and above should get me good rates so I was told.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast