View Poll Results: Will you prefer m4/3 to DSLR for travelling?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. m4/3 is good for travelling light and I can take reasonably okay pics

39 52.70%
  • No. I need DSLR to do the things I do when overseas.

35 47.30%

Thread: Will you prefer to travel with m4/3 than with DSLR?

Default Will you prefer to travel with m4/3 than with DSLR?

Interested to know whether the release of Olympus EP-1 and Panasonic GF-1 have led to travellers preferring to leave their heavy DSLRs at home.

Personally, I brought my LX3 on my honeymoon, and quite happy I did not bring DSLR.

Wink Re: Will you prefer to travel with m4/3 than with DSLR?

I carry my trusted G1 and the 2 lenses all the times. I had got back problem, so M43 is much easier on my back.

Default Re: Will you prefer to travel with m4/3 than with DSLR?

prefer the DSLR as i don't like liveview
    Pentax K-x

Will lug along my DSLR with lenses. And a PnS (running on AA batteries) for backup.

Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    Will lug along my DSLR with lenses. And a PnS (running on AA batteries) for backup.
    true, always have my handy canon ixus 100 with me... now that ixus 200 looks nice
    Pentax K-x

may consider a m4/3 if i got extra money.... the design look quite retro also..

wondering if canon with produce m4/3
    50D|EF-S17-85mm f4.0-5.6 IS USM|EF50mm f1.4 USM|EF70-200mm f2.8L IS USM|EF100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM

I would say DSLR is still the best choice for travelling becos of lens choices and shooting option. For my recent trip, i brought both LX3 and DSLR. I used the LX3 mainly for scenery, snapshots and macro (i.e. food shots) as thats the strength of the camera. For all the other shots, esp indoors, flash and night shots, DSLR is still the best.

For short business trip, i definitely use LX3 as cant really bring DSLR along. For safari, maybe a 4/3 format will be very good as the lenses are lighter and you can make full use of the 2X focal length magnification.

No. Don't mean to flame m4/3 or anything but, I can't stand the crop factor. Just doesn't look natural to me.

if i really want to take photos in trip, i'll bring my dslr...
    if i really want to travel super light, i'll bring my pocket cam...
    why i need something that not here yet not there
    and with the same price, can get a proper dslr already...

For those who don't currently own any 4/3 equipment, it'd be a financial consideration whether to travel with 4/3 or a DSLR. At least for me, I wouldn't acquire a 4/3 system just to travel.

i would and i did so.
    there are other advantages of the m43 system besides being small. to name one, m43 has the depth of field advantage compared to a normal cropped dSLR sensor. this is pretty useful when travelling, when often u do not require use of shallow depth of field.
    cameras are not made of tofu

Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    For those who don't currently own any 4/3 equipment, it'd be a financial consideration whether to travel with 4/3 or a DSLR. At least for me, I wouldn't acquire a 4/3 system just to travel.
    second that.

i'll just bring wtv i have
    Pentax K-x

Quote Originally Posted by Fotophilic View Post
    i would and i did so.
    there are other advantages of the m43 system besides being small. to name one, m43 has the depth of field advantage compared to a normal cropped dSLR sensor. this is pretty useful when travelling, when often u do not require use of shallow depth of field.
    hmmm, this would be a negative i would say. Most people would kill for shallow DOF.. :P

I was tempted to get the GF1, but the choices of lens (the 20mm pancake and the 14-45mm) are too limited for travel use anyway. I need more focal length. Even with the 2x crop factor, the 45mm (90mm) is not long enough for telephoto shoots, and many times, we need to zoom in pretty close at something when we pass it. The GF1 looks good and I bet it takes great pics too, but I simply don't see the need for it currently. I have my trustworthy LX3, and I don't mind bringing my DSLR everywhere even though my lenses are heavy (24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 IS). I nearly broke my shoulder when I went to LA for a week, especially at Universal Studio lol. Furthermore, I wanna make full use of my DSLR.
    Last edited by TheStig; 12th November 2009 at 01:43 AM.

I like to travel 'light'.

I'm bringing my e-p1 with a bevy of panny lenses for a trip to reunion island and s. africa...
    taking the 7-14, 20 and 45-200... very similar to my previous nikon dx setup (nikon 12-24, 35 f2, 55-200vr) ... cuz
    it replicates my fav focal lengths and more (14 at the wide and 400mm at the telephoto end!)
    and its so much lighter, so i'm taking a chance and leaving my d700 at home...
    pictures are poems that write light into shadow

Well, for me it will be: "Better to have it and not really need it, than to need it, and not having it at all". Went for my Honeymoon with 5 lenses (50mm, 105mm, 12-24mm, 28-70mm & 70-200mm), 1 flash, 1 tripod, quite afew rechargeable (AAs) and a laptop.

All I can say is that - It was all worth the weight. I brought back quite afew photos of small military decorations with my 105mm
    The DIFFERENCE is not in the "Cue", it is in the SKILLS...

Quote Originally Posted by fv18m View Post
    Well, for me it will be: "Better to have it and not really need it, than to need it, and not having it at all". Went for my Honeymoon with 5 lenses (50mm, 105mm, 12-24mm, 28-70mm & 70-200mm), 1 flash, 1 tripod, quite afew rechargeable (AAs) and a laptop.

All I can say is that - It was all worth the weight. I brought back quite afew photos of small military decorations with my 105mm
    Did you have to carry the notebook with you all the time or left in the hotel room?

Personally i vote for m4/3 during travel for now.
    I have travelled with different combinations of cameras and gears (DSLR, Canon G9, Notebook, lenses, Tripod, Flash, Extra batteries etc) and it all really depend on what you need.
    I have carried full gear, DSLR with lenses, flash, notebook and tripod and a backup G9 with winter wear etc in -15degree Celsius snowing condition. (Condition when some PNS camera stopped working due to the cold temperature..)

Do you need to sell your picture?
    Bring DSLR, Tripod, Lenses, Notebook, etc

You just want to relax and travel light?
    Bring PNS or Prosumer Camera and a 16GB CF/SDHC Card

You like the control you get from DSLR and don't like the weight of the DSLR with lenses etc?
    Bring m4/3 camera, lenses, light travel tripod and lots of memory card/ a notebook.
    Last edited by light; 17th November 2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: typo error
    Multimediagrapher
    - Designer (motion/still) / Photographer / Videographer --- Instagram

Prefer DSLR for travelling. Weight is not a issue, is a matter of whether u want to or not.
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son