Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Help needed to explain this...

  1. #1

    Default Help needed to explain this...



    When i first started using dslr 2 mths ago..normally when i shoot long exposure shots, it will display the photo immediately after the designated no. of sec that i chose, but however recently i realised there is this display (see pic) after i taken the shot. What does the "Busy" means and why is it sometimes like that?

    Many thanks for whoever kind souls who can help...
    5DMk2

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    did you turn your long exposure noise reduction on?

    for long exposure, if you turn the noise reduction on, then the noise reduction will operate as long as the time used to take the photograph.

    it might be that your usual long exposures are pretty short. i think for my dslr (k20d), the noise reduction will kick in for any exposure longer than 15 seconds.

    yours should be able to turn off if you don't want to wait, but please remember to do some form of cleaning up later on when you pp photo.

  3. #3
    Member Rendell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    569

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lam CK View Post


    When i first started using dslr 2 mths ago..normally when i shoot long exposure shots, it will display the photo immediately after the designated no. of sec that i chose, but however recently i realised there is this display (see pic) after i taken the shot. What does the "Busy" means and why is it sometimes like that?

    Many thanks for whoever kind souls who can help...
    Read the manual bro, under custom function:

    1. Whenever you activate Long exposure noise reduction
    2. After the pic is taken, it will process the cleaning using the same amount of time as the exposure.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    Read the manual bro, under custom function:

    1. Whenever you activate Long exposure noise reduction
    2. After the pic is taken, it will process the cleaning using the same amount of time as the exposure.[/QUOTE]

    Ahh..so desu neh. Thank you so much. It didnt occur to me that it was the noise reduction function coz i tot i had it on all the time. thanks to night86mare too..
    5DMk2

  5. #5
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    At least you get a BUSY on the screen. My D90 do not even show that.

    But really, LE NR is actually very good. Problem is, if your exposure is a 5 min long exposure, waaa the wait can kill you. And remember to turn off LE NR if you are doing 30 min star trails....

  6. #6

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    At least you get a BUSY on the screen. My D90 do not even show that.

    But really, LE NR is actually very good. Problem is, if your exposure is a 5 min long exposure, waaa the wait can kill you. And remember to turn off LE NR if you are doing 30 min star trails....
    Thats the issue man...if you take sunset or sun rise pics with LE NR, by the time you take 2nd shot you already missed it!
    5DMk2

  7. #7
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lam CK View Post
    Thats the issue man...if you take sunset or sun rise pics with LE NR, by the time you take 2nd shot you already missed it!
    Not so bad la. So far my exposure have not exceeded 2 minutes yet. Bro night86mare drag out the shutter longer than a lot of us.

  8. #8
    Member Rendell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    569

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    Maybe you can take raw first, go back use software to reduce noise .

  9. #9
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lam CK View Post
    Thats the issue man...if you take sunset or sun rise pics with LE NR, by the time you take 2nd shot you already missed it!
    you don't take sunset or rise photo with long exposure when the sun is visible, 1st, exposure not permit, 2nd, if you really do, the sun will be out of shape too due the earth rotation.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  10. #10

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    At least you get a BUSY on the screen. My D90 do not even show that.

    But really, LE NR is actually very good. Problem is, if your exposure is a 5 min long exposure, waaa the wait can kill you. And remember to turn off LE NR if you are doing 30 min star trails....
    Got lah! The busy sign is shown on the top LCD.

    30min star trails on DSLR?!
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 4th November 2009 at 11:14 AM.

  11. #11
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Got lah! The busy sign is shown on the top LCD.
    yes, it show "job nr" in top panel and in the view finder.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  12. #12
    Member cumzball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    At least you get a BUSY on the screen. My D90 do not even show that.

    But really, LE NR is actually very good. Problem is, if your exposure is a 5 min long exposure, waaa the wait can kill you. And remember to turn off LE NR if you are doing 30 min star trails....
    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Got lah! The busy sign is shown on the top LCD.

    30min star trails on DSLR?!
    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    yes, it show "job nr" in top panel and in the view finder.
    Yea it does show on the LCD display for D90. I just tried it last night and got the "JOB NR" on the LCD. thought something went wrong. then i remembered i turned on the LE NR.
    Nikon D90 + 18-105mm Kit Lens + Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VC

  13. #13

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    you don't take sunset or rise photo with long exposure when the sun is visible, 1st, exposure not permit, 2nd, if you really do, the sun will be out of shape too due the earth rotation.
    i'm getting my b+w nd110 today!! Will try LE in daytime...well not exactly shooting the sun, but rather nice skyline when the sun is setting or rising.
    5DMk2

  14. #14

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Got lah! The busy sign is shown on the top LCD.

    30min star trails on DSLR?!
    I did a 40 min for mine

  15. #15

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    Quote Originally Posted by lypklypk View Post
    I did a 40 min for mine
    Wad's yr model and where did u take the pic from? Care to show? Any link to that pic?
    5DMk2

  16. #16

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    Quote Originally Posted by lypklypk View Post
    I did a 40 min for mine
    I get blown skies after 8s on base ISO of 200 at f/2.

    Let's see how many stops down I have to go for a 40min exposure..

    15, 30, 1m, 2m, 4m, 8m, 16m, 32m. About 8.5 stops. I need to stop down to f/22 and use an ND2x or f/11 with ND8x?!?
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 4th November 2009 at 05:39 PM.

  17. #17
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    I get blown skies after 8s on base ISO of 200 at f/2.

    Let's see how many stops down I have to go for a 40min exposure..

    15, 30, 1m, 2m, 4m, 8m, 16m, 32m. About 8.5 stops. I need to stop down to f/22 and use an ND2x or f/11 with ND8x?!?
    you need a very dark moonless cloudless night sky and far far away from street lamp building lights etc...... if you can find it in SG

    anyway, think some people use stacking technique for overcoming some issue of extreme long exposure

    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  18. #18

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    you need a very dark moonless cloudless night sky and far far away from street lamp building lights etc...... if you can find it in SG

    anyway, think some people use stacking technique for overcoming some issue of extreme long exposure
    When it comes to star trails, I love the reciprocity failure of film.

  19. #19
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Got lah! The busy sign is shown on the top LCD.

    30min star trails on DSLR?!
    Ya top LCD... but the words not as big and bright compared to TS one mah!

    Ya 30min startrails... I've seen some of my ang mo friends do it. Lots of patience. And for some cams, the sensor will get very hot...

  20. #20
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Help needed to explain this...

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    you need a very dark moonless cloudless night sky and far far away from street lamp building lights etc...... if you can find it in SG
    Ya, my ang mo friends all hike to some mountain in the middle of nowhere, set up start the shutter, and lie in the dark and wait. That's why I say need a lot of patience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •