Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod for a backpacking trip?

Default Re: Tripod for a backpacking trip?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i thought slik sprint pro got qr?
    Mine don't have leh. It has a ball head, but have to manually screw in. Hmm...

Anyway I have recently purchased a Benro A-250EX with ball head. Feels a lot lighter and folds smaller too! Currently the slik is being used as a light stand for my speedlites.
    Lensbaby Muse

Quote Originally Posted by defn View Post
    Mine don't have leh. It has a ball head, but have to manually screw in. Hmm...

Anyway I have recently purchased a Benro A-250EX with ball head. Feels a lot lighter and folds smaller too! Currently the slik is being used as a light stand for my speedlites.
    hrm, i have never used sprint pro before, only the sprint 3 way

but that one has QR.. so i assume ballhead version also will have QR

Blog Entries

family trip - table pod
    photography trip - tripod

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    hrm, i have never used sprint pro before, only the sprint 3 way

but that one has QR.. so i assume ballhead version also will have QR
    The Sprint Pro tripod i bought 3 years ago does not comes with QR. That's why i change to 484RC2.
    But the new Sprint Pro II GM now comes with a QR Plate!

http://www.slik.com/e/p10.jpg

Raven

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    family trip - table pod
    photography trip - tripod
    Well said. Well said.
    That is why today I emptied my pocket on a original Gorillapod Focus.
    I reckon for my family trip 2 weeks later, this Gorilla should be happy working together with a table pod...

my slik sprint pro also doesnt have qr, but the ball head can be changed to those with qr.

Now i am thinking of changing to another tripod mainly for easy carry, ie light weight.
    It must be easy to deploy and keep. So i am thinking which type is easier to do so?
    Those with clips on the legs, or those with twisting action?
    As long as the head can be changed, i dont care about the feature of the head.
    Hence got any recommendation?
    Must be able to support D300 + 18-200 + sb900.
    Or otherwise support D90 + 18-200.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Hi guys, thanks for all the inputs!!..
    I will definitely be bringing a tripod as it will be a backpacking cum photography trip for me..
    the problem is now after reading all your interesting comments, a certain virus has infected me..the BBB virus!!! hehehe...
    Right now i'm thinking of acquiring a Benro tripod to upgrade. I've been looking around yesterday at Penin Plaza and saw a certain Benro model which goes for $168/- with a ballhead(b4 bargain).

But Slik looks gd too..hmmm..i'm spoilt for choice now..but budget will be the main factor as I wouldn't want to spend more than $170/- for a tripod..so i guess my choice will be limited.

WIth that kind of budget, the tripod will be of a decent quality and could last me for a long period of time, i presume?

pls update wat u bought. I can copycat too
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Just wondering, regarding the Gorillapods, have always been thinking say you wanna do some landscapes/scenary shots, how would you set up your tripod (Gorillapod) for these kind of shoots? The Gorillapod needs something to be attached to right? If we are like out in the open, wouldn't the limited "support" be a problem for Gorillapods to be attached to? I've been thinking of getting one of them (probably the Gorillapod FOCUS) but am not sure how useful it'll be if i'm to leave my tripod at home (mine isn't those CF types so weight is a major issue).

TIA for all replies.

TS sorry for hijacking your thread. Thought it was somewhat related?
    Licence to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by xhui View Post
    Just wondering, regarding the Gorillapods, have always been thinking say you wanna do some landscapes/scenary shots, how would you set up your tripod (Gorillapod) for these kind of shoots? The Gorillapod needs something to be attached to right? If we are like out in the open, wouldn't the limited "support" be a problem for Gorillapods to be attached to? I've been thinking of getting one of them (probably the Gorillapod FOCUS) but am not sure how useful it'll be if i'm to leave my tripod at home (mine isn't those CF types so weight is a major issue).

TIA for all replies.

Hello xhui.
    You have raised a good point.
    When travelling, out in the open, there will always be trees, branches, rocks, walls, fences, railings that one can curl up the Gorilla's legs onto. Either horizontally or vertically (that's the forte of the Gorillapod - strong and steady). Just need to improvise.
    If not, just stop the jeep/car by one side and place the Gorillapod on the boot or top of the vehicle.
    Worse comes to worse, place on the floor. The low angle would give the landscape an interesting perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Hello xhui.
    You have raised a good point.
    When travelling, out in the open, there will always be trees, branches, rocks, walls, fences, railings that one can curl up the Gorilla's legs onto. Either horizontally or vertically (that's the forte of the Gorillapod - strong and steady). Just need to improvise.
    If not, just stop the jeep/car by one side and place the Gorillapod on the boot or top of the vehicle.
    Worse comes to worse, place on the floor. The low angle would give the landscape an interesting perspective.
    Ah.. Thanks limwhow for the few ideas on the Gorillapod usage. Hmm, so it's really improvising and figuring out where best to set up my gears then. I guess one have to decide if a full tripod is necessary (considering the weight, the lugging around etc) trading off with what the Gorilla can offer (lighter, less bulk, but slightly limited to the environment/place for support and set up).

Oh well, i can't have both sides of world can we. Tough choice. My set up shouldn't go above 5kg but might hover around 3kg. Thx again!
    Licence to shoot.

Ah.. Thanks limwhow for the few ideas on the Gorillapod usage. Hmm, so it's really improvising and figuring out where best to set up my gears then. I guess one have to decide if a full tripod is necessary (considering the weight, the lugging around etc) trading off with what the Gorilla can offer (lighter, less bulk, but slightly limited to the environment/place for support and set up).

Oh well, i can't have both sides of world can we. Tough choice. My set up shouldn't go above 5kg but might hover around 3kg. Thx again!
    Hey, you are most welcome, xhui.
    Even if your set up is about 3kg, I would say go ahead an get a Gorillapod Focus cos of the stability. Some people don't like to do it, but I have found mounting a ballhead on the Gorillapod gives me even more flexibility in aligning my camera's orientation.
    I will bring and leave my tripod in the jeep for my travel trip. But I will carry my Gorillapod when I walk out and climb (if I do). Best of both worlds lah.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Hey, you are most welcome, xhui.
    Even if your set up is about 3kg, I would say go ahead an get a Gorillapod Focus cos of the stability. Some people don't like to do it, but I have found mounting a ballhead on the Gorillapod gives me even more flexibility in aligning my camera's orientation.
    I will bring and leave my tripod in the jeep for my travel trip. But I will carry my Gorillapod when I walk out and climb (if I do). Best of both worlds lah.
    Ah.. the price for the FOCUS can almost get me a CF tripod (after adding the $ from selling my current one maybe)? But maybe it's just my laziness, i don't like the added weight (gal la) considering my camera gears are already quite the abnormal choice for a gal (imagine my friends whipping out a pns when i was slinging my dslr across with my RS strap )

I'm considering the Gorillapod more for travel and more options when a ___pod is need (oh, i love scenaries)! I think i'll probably not enjoy overseas trip if i lug those weight around and grumbling half the time.

The ballhead idea is good too (more weight!)
    Licence to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    pls update wat u bought. I can copycat too
    Will do..

TIA for all replies.

No problem. In fact you started an interesting discussion regarding the gorillas . But I still prefer lugging around with the ol-skool tripod. I guess when you are in an open area tripod will be more 'convenient' to set-up with minimal restrictions in order to get the right angle/composition, as oppose to a fixed point the gorilla is attached to.But hey, that is only my humble opinion.Gorillas do have its plus points,which limwhow had pointed out.So whichever suits to our liking, the rest don't really matter..

Quote Originally Posted by r00ki3 View Post
    No problem. In fact you started an interesting discussion regarding the gorillas . But I still prefer lugging around with the ol-skool tripod. I guess when you are in an open area tripod will be more 'convenient' to set-up with minimal restrictions in order to get the right angle/composition, as oppose to a fixed point the gorilla is attached to.But hey, that is only my humble opinion.Gorillas do have its plus points,which limwhow had pointed out.So whichever suits to our liking, the rest don't really matter..
    Thanks yah, I agree on the pros on having our good o tripod of being able to set it up in the open without need to meddle and consider where to set up our gears. Ah, pros n cons. Thanks guys for sharing your insights
    Licence to shoot.

Hi guys, thanks for all the inputs!!..
    I will definitely be bringing a tripod as it will be a backpacking cum photography trip for me..
    the problem is now after reading all your interesting comments, a certain virus has infected me..the BBB virus!!! hehehe...
    Right now i'm thinking of acquiring a Benro tripod to upgrade. I've been looking around yesterday at Penin Plaza and saw a certain Benro model which goes for $168/- with a ballhead(b4 bargain).

But Slik looks gd too..hmmm..i'm spoilt for choice now..but budget will be the main factor as I wouldn't want to spend more than $170/- for a tripod..so i guess my choice will be limited.

WIth that kind of budget, the tripod will be of a decent quality and could last me for a long period of time, i presume?
    For budget conscious people like us, I feel the Benro will give a better bang for your buck. Sure they're no manfrottos but they're extremely sturdy, and if I'm not wrong most of their designs are copies of Gitzos. I got the A-250EX with BH-0M ballhead from MS Colour.

I've tested the ball head with my 7D + 580EXII + 17-55 with hood and it held in the same position even after 8 hours!

Won't be upgrading to a carbon fiber one till I have enough cash for the EF 200 f2L IS.
    Lensbaby Muse

I got the A-250EX with BH-0M ballhead from MS Colour.
    defn, was kostest fuer die tripod/ballhead combi?

defn, was kostest fuer die tripod/ballhead combi?
    Ein hundert funfunddreizig. Though you might want to call and check because I might have gotten the last set.
    Lensbaby Muse

Ein hundert funfunddreizig. Though you might want to call and check because I might have gotten the last set.
    mmm..das ist billiger,als zu mir angeboten. I better go down and check if they have any more sets left

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12