Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sigma 12-24 indepth review..

Yup. Perhaps if u want u could PS the barrel distortion back to straight and level, but it's not a real solution...

Are u refering to the Sigma 17-35mm f2.8-4 EX Aspherical, or is there a new one coming out?

vince123123
    Guests

a little ot, but since we are on wide angles :P

is the Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4 a good buy? sharpness/distortion/lightfalloff etc? am looking for a good third party wide angle, but preferably one which allows use of front filters (even if they are damn large), cos the things i use it for necessitates protection on the front element (that prob rules out the sigma 15-30 and 12-24?

also, does the signma 17-35 for nikon only come in the non-hsm version? or is there a hsm version around? heard that there may be two versions of the same one for nikon.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by finkster
    Yup. Perhaps if u want u could PS the barrel distortion back to straight and level, but it's not a real solution...

Are u refering to the Sigma 17-35mm f2.8-4 EX Aspherical, or is there a new one coming out?

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    a little ot, but since we are on wide angles :P

is the Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4 a good buy? sharpness/distortion/lightfalloff etc? am looking for a good third party wide angle, but preferably one which allows use of front filters (even if they are damn large), cos the things i use it for necessitates protection on the front element (that prob rules out the sigma 15-30 and 12-24?

also, does the signma 17-35 for nikon only come in the non-hsm version? or is there a hsm version around? heard that there may be two versions of the same one for nikon.

cheers
    The old Sigma 17-35 has a less than stellar reputation and 82mm threads. There is a new version which has been released that has 77mm threads and supposedly better optics.

I'm using the Sigma 17-35mm f/2.4-4 EX. Not the best when at 17mm - BD is very noticeable when I get back my prints. The range from about 20-35mm is the best. Sharp and little distortion at average f-stops - f/5.6.

vince123123
    Guests

So i should be looking for the 77mm version of hte sigma rite? just wondering also, the 77 mm is the hsm and the 82 is the nonhsm version?

objectively speaking, is the 77mm version good? :P (yes i know its a very subjective qn, but still some opinions are better than no opinions)

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    The old Sigma 17-35 has a less than stellar reputation and 82mm threads. There is a new version which has been released that has 77mm threads and supposedly better optics.

I can order the 12-24mm for $1105 (see my MO thread).

I'll absorb your shipping cost but condition is that u let me shoot a few test shots with that lens.

This offer is only for the first person to join in the MO. The rest will have to pay for shipping charges... <$1120 in total.

Quote Originally Posted by kenghor
    I can order the 12-24mm for $1105 (see my MO thread).

I'll absorb your shipping cost but condition is that u let me shoot a few test shots with that lens.

This offer is only for the first person to join in the MO. The rest will have to pay for shipping charges... <$1120 in total.
    then ur price is no diff from shops which has the original warranty..

There's also a Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4 Di that might be quite good, also with 77mm filter thread.

vince123123
    Guests

hmm maybe i should start a separate thread to ask which is the 'best' of the 17-35s with filter threads? or if someone knwo can just post here first :P :P
    hehe. besides tamron n sigma got what others? tokina have?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    There's also a Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4 Di that might be quite good, also with 77mm filter thread.

The Nikon 18-35 F3.5-4.5 and the Tamron 17-35 F2.8-4 are very closely matched in terms of optics when I tested them :

1) The Nikon edged out the Tamron very slightly as the corners were sharper, displayed less CA.

2) The Tamron costs more than the Nikon by a hundred bucks.

3) The slightly better aperture range of the Tamron helps a little bit, but not by much.

4) The Tamron's 17mm wide angle is only very minimally wider than the Nikon. Barely noticeable.

5) Build quality of the Nikon beats the Tamron. Smoother zoom ring, better plastics.

6) Lastly, resale value of the Nikon....

Quote Originally Posted by hackie
    then ur price is no diff from shops which has the original warranty..
    $1150 with GST or without? Many shops have to stocks and try to make u come back by quoating u a low price. But they will not honour u that price.

My price of $1105 is inclusive of everything... Up to individual if they want to pay the extra for warranty. But u can't say there's no diff in price.

$1150 with GST or without? Many shops have to stocks and try to make u come back by quoating u a low price. But they will not honour u that price.

My price of $1105 is inclusive of everything... Up to individual if they want to pay the extra for warranty. But u can't say there's no diff in price.

no leh... konota offered $1140 inclusive of GST for my nikon mount.. still got a piece left..

dun feel offended hor.. me not here to spoil ur biz.. me also interested in ur MO for the afs vr 70-200.. hehe..

Quote Originally Posted by finkster
    The Nikon 18-35 F3.5-4.5 and the Tamron 17-35 F2.8-4 are very closely matched in terms of optics when I tested them :

1) The Nikon edged out the Tamron very slightly as the corners were sharper, displayed less CA.

2) The Tamron costs more than the Nikon by a hundred bucks.

3) The slightly better aperture range of the Tamron helps a little bit, but not by much.

4) The Tamron's 17mm wide angle is only very minimally wider than the Nikon. Barely noticeable.

5) Build quality of the Nikon beats the Tamron. Smoother zoom ring, better plastics.

6) Lastly, resale value of the Nikon....
    The Tamron is 1 stop faster right? Shouldn't that be quite sigificant?

Interesting the Tamron is costlier.....

If the price is at $1140, then maybe it is indeed better to buy from Konota.
    Generally the HK price is good but not always... Thanks for your info!

no leh... konota offered $1140 inclusive of GST for my nikon mount.. still got a piece left..

dun feel offended hor.. me not here to spoil ur biz.. me also interested in ur MO for the afs vr 70-200.. hehe..

Here's a comparison of the wide angle lenses: http://www.16-9.net/ultrawides/

Any body interested to MO the [http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...0&is=USA]Zeiss 21mm Distagon [/URL] ?

oops...
    this is the Zeiss 21mm Distagon

Can get an adaptor to mount it on EOS bodies..

Here's a comparison of the wide angle lenses: http://www.16-9.net/ultrawides/

Any body interested to MO the [http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...0&is=USA]Zeiss 21mm Distagon [/URL] ?

If the price is at $1140, then maybe it is indeed better to buy from Konota.
    Generally the HK price is good but not always... Thanks for your info!
    prices for new products seems to be about the same as in singapore. if only if the SGD-US$ exchange rates are ~1.4 in the early 90's....

i SOOoooooo impressed by the Sigma 15-30mm lens! Woah!!! BD is quite minimal compared to my Sigma 17-35.... maybe I should make the change to the 15-30mm........ ??? Phew....

Quote Originally Posted by TME
    i SOOoooooo impressed by the Sigma 15-30mm lens! Woah!!! BD is quite minimal compared to my Sigma 17-35.... maybe I should make the change to the 15-30mm........ ??? Phew....
    hmmm.. i sold my 15-30 after seeing shots wif very soft n discolored corners~~

hmmm.. i sold my 15-30 after seeing shots wif very soft n discolored corners~~

Hmm... care to share the shots if u still have them?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12