Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need some advice!

Default Re: need some advice!

Quote Originally Posted by wkteoh View Post
    Echoing what the others have said, know what you need before making such investment. Those who knows probably won't have to ask around to help him make up his mind.

What I think: you should learn more about the basics - borrow books from library, read online tutorials, shoot more. From your use of vocab, it seems like you are still not too familiar with DSLRs. Take your time dude, different people has different learning speed/experience, so time taken to upgrade from one body to another may vary. I think you should learn more about DSLR before even thinking about changing gears - go borrow some books to read etc. You'll be surprised with what you can do with your current body.

yes. thank you... i will..

Quote Originally Posted by plato View Post
    If it's depth of field you want, then you might be better off getting a new lens with a wider aperture, e.g. 35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.4, etc.

Also, your question is when is the right time to upgrade, right? This may sound counter-intuitive, but hear me out. The right time to upgrade is when you find that you are comfortable with your current gear, and can use it capably to take good photos without much effort.

When you are at this stage, you will recognise the limitations of your current gear, and maybe you find yourself held back by the limitation of your current camera, e.g. you have a taste for taking wide panorama shots, and your current camera is not full-frame, so you can't take full advantage of your 16mm lens, then maybe you need full-frame. Or maybe you like to shoot sports, and your camera can only do 3 frames per second, and you find that too slow, then you need to find a camera that can do more frames per second, and so on. The point is that when you know the limitations of your camera, you will know what you need to look for in a new replacement camera.

But if you cannot quantify how your photography will improve with a new camera, then my advice is not to upgrade until you can do so. Remember that better gear does not mean better photos, and a better camera does not make your photos more creative. Also, in my view, the lenses are more important than the camera body you use.

yes.. wanna noe when can someone upgrade. and thank you for ur comments and help. i understand. just that i like the effect of having the whole place blurred while just focusing on one object from quite a dist... and just.. i heard that only large sensors can do that. so.. ya... may i know what is a terrible photo like? thank you : )

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    In Canon context, I think of it this way for 5D MK2.

Full Frame + Video.

In a oversimplied sentence, thats what you are buying. If on the other hand you are looking for

Weather Resistance + Video.

Would be the 1D Mk4.

Learning to use a dslr is the easy part, using it for creative shots is the not so easy part.

thank you : )

Quote Originally Posted by enzii View Post
    yes.. wanna noe when can someone upgrade. and thank you for ur comments and help. i understand. just that i like the effect of having the whole place blurred while just focusing on one object from quite a dist... and just.. i heard that only large sensors can do that. so.. ya... may i know what is a terrible photo like? thank you : )
    Well, you "can upgrade" whenever you want to. But realistically, it should be when you feel limited by what your current camera body can deliver.

As for the "blur background" shots, it's absolutely not true that you need a full-frame camera for that. In fact, if you look around the galleries, you'll find many such photos, almost all taken with aps-c size sensors.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Two options:

Buy and play blindly or read, research, learn and then read some more.

But if no time to learn about the basic photography because of studies, shouldn't you be concentrating on your studies instead of hanging out here day after day asking about cameras?

i just hang ard here ytd. haha... ya.. because i kept thinking.. cant really conc on studies.. so just nid some ans. yupz : ) and today is the start of my exams. ha. but thanks for the comment.. i understand : )

Actually that's a good tactic - relax before the exam.

All the best for your papers. :-)

don't know where ur money come from but if money is not an issue at all, i don't think there's such a thing as when is a good time to upgrade, u have the cash just get the best! if i have the cash my first car would have been at least a BMW n not a Lancer....

but if u r working on a budget, n in order to buy the camera u have to starve for a few months then i say forget it, maybe u can invest on better lenses to use on the present body... or upgrade to a semi pro like the 50D

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Well, you "can upgrade" whenever you want to. But realistically, it should be when you feel limited by what your current camera body can deliver.

As for the "blur background" shots, it's absolutely not true that you need a full-frame camera for that. In fact, if you look around the galleries, you'll find many such photos, almost all taken with aps-c size sensors.

nope... nt going to. im still not thr yet. ok.... i get it : ) thank you : )

I'm normally quite anti focus-on-equipment.

But in all honesty when I read the original post the bottom line for me was that, there is nothing different about learning photography on a 5DII compared to a 500D.

The original question was, is it okay to learn about photography on a 5DII? Of course it is. It doesn't slow you down in any way, it's not a for-professionals-only camera. There isn't much about it that would hinder the learning process in any way, shape or form.

I guess for me the question was different from, "should I get a 500D or a 5DII to learn about photography"? If that were the question then some of the points against getting a more expensive camera with more features would apply. But if the question is (as it was), can I learn photography with a 5DII then surely the answer is yes?

Learning on a FF camera doesn't jeopardise your photographic education.

Whether there is any justifiable reason to spend the extra cash over a cheaper body is a different issue altogether.

Actually that's a good tactic - relax before the exam.

All the best for your papers. :-)

THANK YOU SO MUCH : ) thanks for having the patience with me : )

THANK YOU SO MUCH : ) thanks for having the patience with me : )
    Another tactic, a few hours just before your paper, is to play an action type of video game to stimulate brain synapses. More than 15 minus but less than 30 mins session. It was a strategy used by some professional Coaches for their athletes before mentally challenging tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    I'm normally quite anti focus-on-equipment.

But in all honesty when I read the original post the bottom line for me was that, there is nothing different about learning photography on a 5DII compared to a 500D.

The original question was, is it okay to learn about photography on a 5DII? Of course it is. It doesn't slow you down in any way, it's not a for-professionals-only camera. There isn't much about it that would hinder the learning process in any way, shape or form.

I guess for me the question was different from, "should I get a 500D or a 5DII to learn about photography"? If that were the question then some of the points against getting a more expensive camera with more features would apply. But if the question is (as it was), can I learn photography with a 5DII then surely the answer is yes?

Learning on a FF camera doesn't jeopardise your photographic education.

Whether there is any justifiable reason to spend the extra cash over a cheaper body is a different issue altogether.

hi! thank you! but im just kind of blur.. like when i ask ppl abt this.. in the end they'll just tell me. they'll upgrade when they gt the money.

Another tactic, a few hours just before your paper, is to play an action type of video game to stimulate brain synapses. More than 15 minus but less than 30 mins session. It was a strategy used by some professional Coaches for their athletes before mentally challenging tournaments.

really? haha.. but i dont have video games... and rarely plays them. haha.

hi.. Need some help here. Is it ok for someone who just get to know how a dslr function to use 5d mark II and learn using a full frame cam? Would really appreciate ur help.. Cause i reli like 5d.. And really wanna get it but aint reli sure if i should..
    what is holding your from buying it? is it the learning curve or is it the money? if you ask me, i don't want to buy full frame cams because they are expensive and im not a pro, i dont do photography for a living, i only bought dslr so i can take good pictures, pictures that i can share with my family and friends..
    maybe if we get to know your reasons, we can help you more..

Quote Originally Posted by gimumancer View Post
    what is holding your from buying it? is it the learning curve or is it the money? if you ask me, i don't want to buy full frame cams because they are expensive and im not a pro, i dont do photography for a living, i only bought dslr so i can take good pictures, pictures that i can share with my family and friends..
    maybe if we get to know your reasons, we can help you more..
    Hi.. Thanks for the comment.. It's not reli abt the money.. If it's sth tt i like it alot. I wouldnt mind saving hard for it... Just that im inspired by the photos taken from some ppl using full frame. And i did compare the photos... Frankly speaking.. Just i dream to be a photographer.. But i understand tt not everyone is suitable. But it's just a dream. Haha.

Hi.. Thanks for the comment.. It's not reli abt the money.. If it's sth tt i like it alot. I wouldnt mind saving hard for it... Just that im inspired by the photos taken from some ppl using full frame. And i did compare the photos... Frankly speaking.. Just i dream to be a photographer.. But i understand tt not everyone is suitable. But it's just a dream. Haha.
    when you say you are inspired by the photos taken by a full frame, do you mean to say you can distinguish if a picture is shot by a full frame or not? even if no information about that shot is provided?

if it's not about the money and you said you really liked it, i say go for it! bros here are just concerned that you might buy it for the wrong reason

Quote Originally Posted by gimumancer View Post
    when you say you are inspired by the photos taken by a full frame, do you mean to say you can distinguish if a picture is shot by a full frame or not? even if no information about that shot is provided?

if it's not about the money and you said you really liked it, i say go for it! bros here are just concerned that you might buy it for the wrong reason

haha. thank you for having the patience with me... : ) about the qn if i can distinguish im still not so sure yet... need to see more works. haha. are the people here all professionals?

Between the lens and the body, I think the lens make more of a difference. Consider buying a good lens and try with the 500D first for some time.

If it gets you the effect you want, you have saved quite a bit of money.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Between the lens and the body, I think the lens make more of a difference. Consider buying a good lens and try with the 500D first for some time.

If it gets you the effect you want, you have saved quite a bit of money.

oki... i will : ) thank you : )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12