Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any regular who pump petrol at JB?

Default Re: Any regular who pump petrol at JB?

does the 3/4 tank rule applies to motocycles too?
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Quote Originally Posted by coolsigg View Post
    who dun want to save $? buy lenses from overseas is legit, modifying oil tank indicator to evade taxes is illegal...

u seem to forget the phrase, u need to be lucky everytime but the customs officer just need to be lucky once...is the savings worth the risk of being fined, criminal record etc? u decide.

my 2 cts worth.
    I am referring to people going to JB (with a 3/4 tank) to pump petrol in order to save some money. Not going there with an empty tank and hoping to get away without getting caught.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    I am referring to people going to JB (with a 3/4 tank) to pump petrol in order to save some money. Not going there with an empty tank and hoping to get away without getting caught.
    well, my first post was in reference to TS asking people when is the best time to avoid detection. clearly we are on the wrong frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    Ride a motorbike and save all the trouble about the 3/4 tank rule.

what about ppl who live in JB and work in sg? One of my ex-colleague in my first job did that.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    No... there is not meter on the bike to show the level of the fuel. Clearly they forgot that some of the BIG bikes have big fuel tanks..
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    No... there is not meter on the bike to show the level of the fuel. Clearly they forgot that some of the BIG bikes have big fuel tanks..
    most bikes now have fuel gauge... mine does.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

The folks can't prove the level of petrol in a common bike. The normal fuel tank of a bike is usually designed like a horse shoe to hang over the bike frame. From the side, you can see it's a pretty odd horse shoe with a triangular apex pointing down. The effect are as follows for bikes:

1. You can't safely stick a dip-stick into a bike tank to determine even roughly the petrol level as the centre of the inner tank is not accessable .

2. Because of a it's triangular shape, the fuel gauge always move very slowly on a full tank. But when it comes to the point of half tank, the meter starts to accerlarate to empty on the guage.

Given these 2 points, the only way to determine the actual ratio of a bike's fuel tank versus it's full capacity is to uses a measuring flask (ie. pour out the petrol then compare the volume with the bike's manufacturer's specifications on the full volume of the tank), alternatively, the folks can adopt a use a 3D X-ray device (space technology- obscenely expensive).

Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

A more plausible explanation why motorcycles are exempted is because the average motorcycle's fuel tank capacity is between 10~15 litres.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12