Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Need help on Firefox (browser).

  1. #1
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Need help on Firefox (browser).

    Hello all,

    I've read somewhere that one can manipulate Firefox to open up some websites when it is being opened up.

    What I meant is that when I run Firefox, it will then open up a list of websites that I always go to everytime. For example, when I double click on the Firefox icon, it will then open Gmail, Clubsnap, Asia 1 websites without me manually doing it everytime I use Firefox.

    Is there such a feature? Did I read the article wrongly?

    If the answer is yes, how do I do it?

    TIA for all replies and suggestions.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    I believe, with Firefox 3.0.x and 3.5.x, at least, that you can.

    Open everything you want to see when you start.

    Go to Preferences/Options and select Main tab

    Under Startup, click Current Pages and also make sure the list box above it says "Show my Home Page" and that should work.

  3. #3
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    type this in the address bar :

    About:Config

    then go down to :

    browser.startup.page

    choose the number you need.

    add the address as needed.



    disclaimer : i have not tried this before.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    448

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    I thought by default like that. Anyway, download "Session Manager" add-on will do.
    Get busy living, or get busy dying. - Stephen King.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    When I have some tabs open in Firefox on my windows system, and I close Firefox by clicking the red button the top right, it always asks me if I want to close the tabs.....if you choose that tab, the next time it opens Firefox, it will open the same sites you used the last time

    But not on my Mac firefox.....

    HS

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    When I have some tabs open in Firefox on my windows system, and I close Firefox by clicking the red button the top right, it always asks me if I want to close the tabs.....if you choose that tab, the next time it opens Firefox, it will open the same sites you used the last time

    But not on my Mac firefox.....

    HS
    Change your preferences to "Show my Windows and Tabs from Last Time"?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    Change your preferences to "Show my Windows and Tabs from Last Time"?
    Ah! Found it! Thanks!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sedna, Orion Stars
    Posts
    856

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    I use the extension Fast Dial. You select what you want to be on your desktop so the pesky other websites that you always go to, but don't want it to show(you know), wont show (unlike Safari)

  9. #9
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys. Appreciate it.

    I used the option suggested by bousozoku and it worked!

    Thank you to all!


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    Ah! Found it! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys. Appreciate it.

    I used the option suggested by bousozoku and it worked!

    Thank you to all!

    Glad that I could help both of you.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    Hello everyone,

    I have another question relating to Firefox again.

    Q.: How do I make the download window (which I've set to appear whenever I am downloading something) clear the download list itself after the download is complete? On my home PC, the items that is listed in the download window will clear itself from the list once the process is completed. But I don't know how to make it to do so in my laptop!

    TIA for all help rendered.

    Last edited by Canew; 19th December 2009 at 01:17 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    in apple do cmd-j in PC should be ctrl-j, download list box appear. HTH

  13. #13
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    Quote Originally Posted by longkangman View Post
    in apple do cmd-j in PC should be ctrl-j, download list box appear. HTH
    longkangman, thanks for the reply. But I am not looking up for the command to call up the download window. I would like to know how to set Firefox to automatically clear the download list after the download process is completed.

    Thanks.

  14. #14
    Member Deyeno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    I have always used FF since its inception.

    When I open FF now, I have 6 tabs that open up by default.

    Download and install Tab Mix Plus, and also Session Manager for FF. I find these Extensions the best.

    Tab Mix Plus you can customise your Tabs to do that you want and combined with Session Manager, which allows you to save your default Tabs.

    So set your parameters in TMP, open the websites you require on Startup, then in Session Manager save this as your default session.

    Cheers ...
    40D|BG-E2N|24-105L F4.0 IS USM |70-200L F2.8 IS USM

  15. #15
    Member Deyeno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I have another question relating to Firefox again.

    Q.: How do I make the download window (which I've set to appear whenever I am downloading something) clear the download list itself after the download is complete? On my home PC, the items that is listed in the download window will clear itself from the list once the process is completed. But I don't know how to make it to do so in my laptop!

    TIA for all help rendered.

    Tools - Privacy - History - Clear History when Firefox closes - Settings.

    In settings you have a list of options, when checked FF will clear when it closes.

    http://gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/ff_options.JPG
    Last edited by Deyeno; 19th December 2009 at 01:35 PM.
    40D|BG-E2N|24-105L F4.0 IS USM |70-200L F2.8 IS USM

  16. #16
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    Quote Originally Posted by Deyeno View Post
    Tools - Privacy - History - Clear History when Firefox closes - Settings.

    In settings you have a list of options, when checked FF will clear when it closes.

    http://gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/ff_options.JPG
    Deyeno, thanks for the tip.

    Actually, here is what I meant>

    Screen shot of download window during downloading process:


    After the completion of the download, the download window will look like this now:


    As can be seen, the list of the image that I was downloading earlier was removed from the window automatically upon the completion of the download process.

    Somehow, for my laptop, the list of the downloaded file still remains in the download window until I click on the 'Clear List' button. But for my home PC, the file list was removed automatically upon completion of the download.
    Last edited by Canew; 19th December 2009 at 02:02 PM.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    911

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    Use Opera 10 lah. Easier, when u download it opens another tab named Download instead of another window.

    I find somewhat Opera interface more user friendliy than Firefox or Safari or Chrome. All the various Adobe plugins like flash player, shockwave player, acrobat and java can install on Opera.

    Just don't restrict yourself to Firefox, since all the abovementioned web browsers are free.

    Some may argue a particular web browser can upload faster than the rest but in the end how fast is "fast". So just try them all and see which one u prefer.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sedna, Orion Stars
    Posts
    856

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    I use the extension fast dial, fully customizable

    Last edited by germ_boi; 19th December 2009 at 05:37 PM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    I would like to know how to set Firefox to automatically clear the download list after the download process is completed.

    Thanks.
    below may help

    As you download files in Mozilla Firefox, the Download Manager (accessible via "Tools" - "Downloads") records a list of these files. This way, you can easily find and open files recently downloaded from websites, especially useful if you download files to multiple folders and forget where you place them.

    For privacy reasons, especially if you share your computer with others, you may want to clear this list. Or, you may not ever want to keep a record of these files in the browser.

    To temporarily clear this list:

    1. Click "Tools" - "Options".

    2. When the "Options" dialog box appears, click "Privacy".

    3. Next to "Ask me before clearing private data", click the "Clear Now" button.

    4. The "Clear Private Data" dialog box appears. Check "Download History", and check or uncheck other items as desired.

    5. Click the "Clear Private Data Now" button.

    6. Now, if you want to prevent Firefox from ever storing this information, uncheck "Remember what I've downloaded".

    7. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

    or

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6945

    or

    http://blog.codefront.net/2007/05/05...automatically/

    HTH

  20. #20
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Need help on Firefox (browser).

    Quote Originally Posted by longkangman View Post
    below may help

    As you download files in Mozilla Firefox, the Download Manager (accessible via "Tools" - "Downloads") records a list of these files. This way, you can easily find and open files recently downloaded from websites, especially useful if you download files to multiple folders and forget where you place them.

    For privacy reasons, especially if you share your computer with others, you may want to clear this list. Or, you may not ever want to keep a record of these files in the browser.

    To temporarily clear this list:

    1. Click "Tools" - "Options".

    2. When the "Options" dialog box appears, click "Privacy".

    3. Next to "Ask me before clearing private data", click the "Clear Now" button.

    4. The "Clear Private Data" dialog box appears. Check "Download History", and check or uncheck other items as desired.

    5. Click the "Clear Private Data Now" button.

    6. Now, if you want to prevent Firefox from ever storing this information, uncheck "Remember what I've downloaded".

    7. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

    or

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6945

    or

    http://blog.codefront.net/2007/05/05...automatically/

    HTH
    longkangman, I got the matter resolved via: http://blog.codefront.net/2007/05/05...automatically/

    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •