Thread: remote controlled digital point & shoot

Default remote controlled digital point & shoot

hello!

I am looking for an affordable digital camera for products photoshoots.
    Ideally I'd like to put the camera on a stand, trigger the camera using a software or cable and export the picture straight away in Adobe lightroom.

I remember trying a Lumix that gave some nice pictures (Carl Zeiss optics though) but I dont know if it is possible to do what I want to do as mentionned above.

I have had a canon exilim for quite some time now but I am really not satisfied by the quality so it won't foot the bill. (certainly due to the lens + its age).

Does anyone have some suggestions for me please?? thanks!

Default Re: remote controlled digital point & shoot

Quote Originally Posted by choubix View Post
    hello!

Ideally I'd like to put the camera on a stand, trigger the camera using a software or cable and export the picture straight away in Adobe lightroom.

I remember trying a Lumix that gave some nice pictures (Carl Zeiss optics though) but I dont know if it is possible to do what I want to do as mentionned above.

I have had a canon exilim for quite some time now but I am really not satisfied by the quality so it won't foot the bill. (certainly due to the lens + its age).

Not trying to be funny but a little confused.

1. Lumix with CZ lens?
    2. Canon Exilim?
    3. PS with tether?

Don't think these exist at all.

The feature is called "tethered shooting". But I don't see an urgent need for that. Connect the cam to computer via USB and set LR to monitor the folder of the cam. Standard feature. Regarding cam: you haven't mentioned your budget, but every entry level cam can do the job - provided you know how to adjust it. Light and composition are bigger factores than a specific camera. On tripod you can use ISO100 and have all the time you need.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by choubix View Post
    hello!

If it's tethered shooting you're after, I don't think a PnS will be able to do it.
    Once plugged into a USB plug, usually the camera goes into data transfer mode.
    Well, that's the case with all my PnS cameras at home and in the office. Perhaps there's one in the market that still allows you to shoot. If that's the case, Lightroom can pick up the file.

Your point about "trigger the camera using software or cable"... I'm guessing you're referring to a remote shutter release. Some PnS cameras come with an infra-red remote for you to trigger off a shot. Sorry, I don't know which model(s)...

For a simple product shoot, most PnS can do the job. Most important is to have the right lighting. Set to low ISO, mount on tripod, lock focus, remote trigger... should be good to go!
    After that remove memory card and place into card reader for file transfer. job done!
    Exploring! :)