Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why most commercial shoot use 2 umbrella?

Default Why most commercial shoot use 2 umbrella?

I often see commercial shoot uses 2 black umbrella( reflect to shoot) and place it left and right. I wonder why this setup is so popular?

What's the advantage? Wouldn't it be better to use a large softboxes to soften the light rather than the harsher reflected black umbrella?

Default Re: Why most commercial shoot use 2 umbrella?

Quote Originally Posted by pete2322 View Post
    I often see commercial shoot uses 2 black umbrella( reflect to shoot) and place it left and right. I wonder why this setup is so popular?

What's the advantage? Wouldn't it be better to use a large softboxes to soften the light rather than the harsher reflected black umbrella?
    define what "commercial shoot" you are referring to..

btw, large softbox are expensive, set it up at location will take more time then umbrella, beside, softbox eat up more power than using umbrella, and also softbox will not have large spread of light compare to umbrella, if photographer need to light up large areas.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

If outside: One for sun, one for rain? (SCNR)
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    define what "commercial shoot" you are referring to..

btw, large softbox are expensive, set it up at location will take more time then umbrella, beside, softbox eat up more power than using umbrella, and also softbox will not have large spread of light compare to umbrella, if photographer need to light up large areas.
    commercial shoots i.e sports illustrated model shoots, fhm model shoots. Rarely seen them using softboxes in both indoor or outdoor shoots

commercial shoots i.e sports illustrated model shoots, fhm model shoots. Rarely seen them using softboxes in both indoor or outdoor shoots

Softboxes are essentially for indoors a more directional light source for all kinds
    of shoots.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

read post #2 for reason using umbrella compare to softboxes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCK7bN7UB9o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpsTdvJzNNk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4xRn...eature=related

Got lots more examples. Do a search.

perhaps you are referring the "commercial shoot" as in the shoots are commercially available to any photographers can pay to partake, not the shoots strictly to generate images for commercial usage..

cause AFAIK, professionals won't use umbrellas on fashion or portrait works, unless the photographer know what he want and want the effect only umbrellas can give..

umbrella gives harsher lights but uses lesser power to light a same scene as large lightbox.

There is no arguement about the light quality of a soft box, given to those that can add extra louvres and barn doors and or grid attachment.

It is a dream and a necessity to any advance, serious or professional photographer.

The down side is chiefly the cost, next will be the weight and storage, plus it needs a much more powerful light to punch thro, and not forgetting the light stand has got to be of the heavy duty type, plus extra counterweight if use on a super boom.

So, mostly you will seen it in operation inside a fairly large studio space and also there will be lots of assistant during a shoot. Almost like a mini movie production.

All these, all photographers like to own and have... but in Singapore, it's a bit....on the high side.
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 2nd November 2009 at 05:33 AM.

Actually, outdoor location shoot, umbrellas catch wind much more effectively like wind sails and light stand, weights all go flying more easily (or light-stand can break) as compared to softbox. But umbrella much much cheaper and more compact/faster to set-up and take-down. Also depends on heng-suay factor a bit lor.

Absolutely, especially if one get to change locations after a few shot, occupies less space to transport too.

If it's easily blow by the wind, then the umbrella might fly off before the shoot? Placing a sandbag to prevent the light stand from falling down won't help on the umbrella part.

Do they don't care because cheap?

If it's easily blow by the wind, then the umbrella might fly off before the shoot? Placing a sandbag to prevent the light stand from falling down won't help on the umbrella part.

Do they don't care because cheap?
    The umbrella is cheap, but the flash is not

Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    The umbrella is cheap, but the flash is not
    Then mostly the use umbrella indoor? For outdoor, they'll use reflector(just like the one in youtube?) or something other than softbox and umbrella i.e beauty dish?

Pete, what exactly is it you would like to find out?

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    LOL. Same question in mind

Then mostly the use umbrella indoor? For outdoor, they'll use reflector(just like the one in youtube?) or something other than softbox and umbrella i.e beauty dish?
    Its also a efficiency issue I believe, with reflectors or a beauty dish you have less light loss compared to umbrellas or softboxes. Generally, outdoors the flash distance would be much more than indoors, plus if they want to compete with sunlight outdoors, getting more juice out of the strobes would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Please read my title :-).

Thanks for those who have corrected me that those commercial shooter did use other modifiers and not just merely prefer the umbrella than others.

Thanks for the knowledge sharing.

No offense Pete, but the title is somewhat of a generalization, possibly inaccurate as well as ambiguous.

That was why several members asked exactly what were you referring to by 'commercial shoot'.

CHEERS!
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 3rd November 2009 at 10:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast