Thread: What tripod to buy?

Default What tripod to buy?

I broke my tripod during my recent trip to Melbourne & now I'm looking for a new one

Which brand is better? Manfrotto or Slik? I need a lightweight & compact one for travelling purposes. It must be able to hold my Minolta 404si + Tamron 28-200 lens. Also, it must be low enough for my macro shots. My budget is abt $100.

I'm actually considering the Manfrotto 190 series tripod, but would like to ask around for other recommendations. What is the RRP for this series? I don't mind getting a 2nd hand one fr CS too.

TIA

There are alots of threads in CS, try looking thru them.

Anyway, you will find 190pro more usefull than other 190 series as the centre pole can be mounted horizontally. Should be less than $150 for the black ones.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

you need to get a separate head with the 190 series.

maybe the Slik Sprint Pro GM? relatively cheap (~$80) and light (<1kg) and should be good enough to hold your setup (but not a lot more).
    Last edited by mpenza; 27th January 2004 at 08:01 AM.

Don't know much about Slik but the Manfrotto 190 doesn't really fit into the "compact" category.

Hi Vivien,

If your priority is lightweight and compact, the Slik Sprint Pro GM is probably the one which fits the bill. As mpenza had mentioned, its just sufficient enuff to take your mentioned load, prolly not any more. It can't go very low too for macro shots.

On the other hand if you don't mind the additional weight (~2.2kg) & size, and the need to factor in an additonal ballhead of your choice, the Manfrotto 190ProB is a good, solid tripod. The centre post can be mounted horizontally and the legs can go low to the ground for macro shots. For ur setup, a good head to couple with it would be the Manfrotto 486 RC2 ballhead (~$80). Total cost shld be ~$200+.

Hope this helps...

Deregistered

vivien, how did you manage to break your tripod? hardcore photographer...

oh, i must add that the sprint pro gm can tahan the weight of my 10D + 70-200 f/2.8 at full leg extension, no center column extension WITH the strap wound around my wrist, of course! obviously, godzilla could rock my cam over far too easily...
    Last edited by sehsuan; 26th January 2004 at 01:17 PM.

slik sprint pro gm is really light and compact...bought mine for S$85 last feb... the manfrotto 190 series, is also a good choice, say if you decide to buy heavy lenses in the future or if you decide to change your setup. (heavier setup that is...)

if you are still undecided... bring your stuffs in CP and try their tripods....you will defenitely find one that will suit your taste and budget..

Actually, the sprint pro GM can go very low, but might not be as convenient as those with horizontally mounted main center post. u can either invert the center post, or spread the tripod legs to maximum and unscrew the lower section of the center post.

with the 2nd option, the base of ur cam shld be juz ard 20cm off the ground (with the provided ball head).

if u r concerned abt max height reach, the GM is not a good choice as it is not advisable to extend the 3rd section (thinnest). flimsy. also, the attached ballhead is no good for even tele-zoom lenses. used it with a 75-300mm and nearly got heartattack once! so oni used it for digicam n lighter manual focus cam.

in other words, get the manfrotto!

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    oh, i must add that the sprint pro gm can tahan the weight of my 10D + 70-200 f/2.8 at full leg extension, no center column extension WITH the strap wound around my wrist, of course! obviously, godzilla could rock my cam over far too easily...
    hi, sehsuan! did u change the original ballhead from slik? was thinking if i could change it to a friendlier one. any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by vivientan
    I broke my tripod during my recent trip to Melbourne & now I'm looking for a new one

Which brand is better? Manfrotto or Slik? I need a lightweight & compact one for travelling purposes. It must be able to hold my Minolta 404si + Tamron 28-200 lens. Also, it must be low enough for my macro shots. My budget is abt $100.

I'm actually considering the Manfrotto 190 series tripod, but would like to ask around for other recommendations. What is the RRP for this series? I don't mind getting a 2nd hand one fr CS too.

TIA
    Broke the tripod in Melbourne? Doesnt sound good.......

Deregistered

nah. same old lightweight ballhead that comes with the tripod. but that's the main reason why i was having the strap wound around my wrist... JUST IN CASE

the slik sprint prom gm is a real good buy..!!! i am using that for travelling ..

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    vivien, how did you manage to break your tripod? hardcore photographer...

Haha I'm surprised too myself. Just to clarify, i didn't ridiculously break it into 2. I over-tightened the handle (erm, dunno if that's the term for it) and it came loose while shooting some night scenes. Luckily it was a really cheap one which someone gave me as a gift.

Looks like the Slik Sprint Pro GM is highly recommended as a lightweight compact tripod. But what about the U9000? How is this model compared to the Sprint Pro?
    Can someone who is familiar with these 2 models please enlighten. I'm also looking for a lightweight, easy to carry around tripod.

Thanks

I am using the SLIK sprint Pro. It's real light, convenient and comes with a bag. Only thing is that it doesn't come with a quick release. so, I got a separate QR from CP for something like 20 bucks or so. Like some of the others have said, got to be careful with it, as the tripod is real very, very light. One way to stabilise it is to hand your bag over it to have some weight over it.

Not quite suitable for heavier lenses due to vibration caused by mirror recoil. Few amateur cams have got mirror lock-up. Perhaps, one tripod for local use and another light one for travel. I have found one inexpensive, heavy duty tripod that is made in China, known as Akarui or Steinzeisser - gray in colour, 3 section legs with ball head. Get the Akarui from CP - good for "rough" use, can take hard knocks, even use it to defend yourself! Afterall, it cost about 100 bucks. Probably a knock-off from the likes of Manfrotto or Gitzo.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by vivientan
    Haha I'm surprised too myself. Just to clarify, i didn't ridiculously break it into 2. I over-tightened the handle (erm, dunno if that's the term for it) and it came loose while shooting some night scenes. Luckily it was a really cheap one which someone gave me as a gift.
    someone really *muscle* ah, dont pray pray!

not too sure if they still got it, but Slik Able 300Dx at MS Colour AMK is going for about $100. (should be able to handle your set-up with ease)
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

Quote Originally Posted by yellow_kiwi
    hi, sehsuan! did u change the original ballhead from slik? was thinking if i could change it to a friendlier one. any recommendations?
    I changed mine from the slik one to Kaiser Small Pro Ballhead that is still light (~300g) and offers horizontal panning in addition to the usual knob. I use the Manfrotto 323 QR on the kaiser as it has no quick release. You could probably use any of the Manfrotto ballheads on the tripod. I'm not too sure if a heavy ballhead is a good idea but it may help stabilise the entire tripod

Hi

If money no object,
    Cathay has this real cute Gitzo tripod...
    looks like a regular Gitzo, just very small
    the tabletop kind, that you can put into your pocket

Lam