Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 50D or Nikon D90

Default Canon 50D or Nikon D90

hi,
    I am trying to decide between the Canon 50D or the Nikon D90. I have looked at the digital camera comparisons on many reputable sites but no outcome . Please help me out. thanks.

Default Re: Canon 50D or Nikon D90

What are you looking for in these two cameras? Both are good. Just that 50D have better specs then D90.

Good points: higher Mp, higher shutter speed and 9 cross-type AF points.
    Bad points: more expensive, secondary top LCD led cannot be ON all the time.

This is what i know of. Let others add on. I may be wrong so please do not blame me...

Hi , thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by phomag1101 View Post
    hi,
    I am trying to decide between the Canon 50D or the Nikon D90. I have looked at the digital camera comparisons on many reputable sites but no outcome . Please help me out. thanks.
    i went through the same dilemma as you too bro!
    in the end i made my decision based on

1. Handling and feel
    2. Budget
    3. Kit Lens

wats ur budget?
    D.S.L.R

Quote Originally Posted by tenchimuyo View Post
    wats ur budget?
    $1500~2000 . i am a beginner thks

hi,
    you are facing the same question as i had few months ago... have been exposed to D90 alot since my classmate is having one, i test out 50D only at Vivo twice.

I was all set to get the d90 probably because i like the two scrolling dials, but ended up getting 50D due to canon L lenses my secondary reason is that i manage to get a good price off the B/S forum.

not regretting choosing the current 50D i am having

ask a canon guy he will say 50d
    ask a nikon guy he will say d90

go test n feel for urself.

spec r only...well...words on paper...
    go test and feel for urself
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

If you have a budget and getting a kit set, you'll need to consider whether lens is suitable for your kind of photography. Short zooms like e.g. 18-55mm isn't as versatile as longer zooms.

I believe the 50D was released to counter the Nikon D300 then and rightfully the comparison should be at this level, the semi-pro level. But right after the release of 50D the D90 came out. The D90 is a 'baby' D300 thus lots of mid-level was drawn to it as it work almost similar like the D300 for a lot less $ and with HD video.

IMO if you are using the cam for hobby I'd recommend the D90 cos you can save some $ to buy good prime lens to compliment the kit lens, which in itself also a fantastic lens.

Yes, you guess right, I belongs to the Dark side

Some good reading to help you make up your mind here & here

thanks

If u had small hand, the Nikon will suit u better.

Try them yourself. U can feel it.
    Last edited by Jeremy1; 31st October 2009 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ijnek View Post
    ask a canon guy he will say 50d
    ask a nikon guy he will say d90

go test n feel for urself.

spec r only...well...words on paper...
    go test and feel for urself
    Nope, I will choose D90 over 50D for this case...

Both cameras I have are canon.
    Imho, D90 + Tamron 17-50mm VC is one of the all-in-one best portrait cum night shots setup.
    Last edited by soons; 31st October 2009 at 08:38 AM.

Im a Canon guy,a 40d user, but I have a lot of friends using D90..the only downside that i saw in d90 is the video mode focusing(if video is important to you), aside from that both are best DSLR's to start with......other things to consider before buying are the lenses and accessories for these cameras.

One more important thing, 50d's built is same as 40d, which i think is better than the d90...if you have big hands i advise taking the 50d or just go to your fave shop and test the handling of both cameras by yourself

Quote Originally Posted by phomag1101
    hi,
    perhaps you'd like to share a bit more info so we can be more specific with our advice.
    Otherwise you'll just get a lot of "go for the 50D" or "go for the d90", and I'm not sure how helpful that is.

What have you gotten out of your search on the various digital camera comparisons on many reputable sites? Are any particular features of greater importance to you?
    I rank ergonomics highly.
    As much as I like the build quality of the xxD series of Canons, I couldn't quite overcome my misgivings about the placement of the on/off switch, at the bottom right of the LCD screen. I couldn't grab the camera out of the bag, and turn it on in 1 quick action.
    Also, operating the wheel didn't feel natural to me.

These are just my opinions of course. You might feel totally different about these than me.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    perhaps you'd like to share a bit more info so we can be more specific with our advice.
    Otherwise you'll just get a lot of "go for the 50D" or "go for the d90", and I'm not sure how helpful that is.

What have you gotten out of your search on the various digital camera comparisons on many reputable sites? Are any particular features of greater importance to you?
    I rank ergonomics highly.
    As much as I like the build quality of the xxD series of Canons, I couldn't quite overcome my misgivings about the placement of the on/off switch, at the bottom right of the LCD screen. I couldn't grab the camera out of the bag, and turn it on in 1 quick action.
    Also, operating the wheel didn't feel natural to me.

These are just my opinions of course. You might feel totally different about these than me.
    Yup, some may not like the wheel. For me the wheel is

hi,
    sometimes it is difficult to decide only from the reviews..rite?
    importance of ergonomics is appreciated only if we USE them from day to day..
    and it can be individual preference..
    so it'd be best to try with rentals.. before buying one for your own..
    i invested some $$ and time to see how 40D and some famous USM lenses worked..
    now stick to D90

test it and feel it...choose the 1 u like....^^

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1987 View Post
    you are facing the same question as i had few months ago... have been exposed to D90 alot since my classmate is having one, i test out 50D only at Vivo twice.

I was all set to get the d90 probably because i like the two scrolling dials, but ended up getting 50D due to canon L lenses my secondary reason is that i manage to get a good price off the B/S forum.

not regretting choosing the current 50D i am having
    It was the opposite for me, i was all set to buy Canon 50D, but i ended up buying the D90, because of ergonomics, it just fit right into my hands. So my suggestion to TS is, stop reading reviews, go to some shops and test both cameras, anyway, you won't go wrong either way.
    Nikon Shooter | My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by zorlak View Post
    Im a Canon guy,a 40d user, but I have a lot of friends using D90..the only downside that i saw in d90 is the video mode focusing(if video is important to you), aside from that both are best DSLR's to start with......other things to consider before buying are the lenses and accessories for these cameras.

One more important thing, 50d's built is same as 40d, which i think is better than the d90...if you have big hands i advise taking the 50d or just go to your fave shop and test the handling of both cameras by yourself
    it's not a downside for D90. if you want video recording, choose a video recorder which will do a better job, why a SLR?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast