Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you dare to set up your tripod when there is lots of ppl around?

Default Do you dare to set up your tripod when there is lots of ppl around?

Such as carnival where there will be crowds walking about and as most photographers mentioned: "Use tripod if you want to shoot pics in the night and if you cannot hold your cam properly with low shutter speed."

Setting up your tripod can be a pain....such as in crowds and you can't find any nice empty space to put your tripod on or you feeling embarrassed when you do that because you attract attention from ppl walking by.

I'm sure there are some who did that before....care to share your experiences? I need someone to enlighten me on setting up my tripod..

Oh, and the second thing, has anyone ever tried taking photos in supermarkets such as taking pics of colorful green...red chilies and other fruits? I heard that some ppl went into some supermarkets such as NTUC to take shots of their prices in there.....

Deregistered

dont shoot in private property without gaining the permission of the management. very risky.

as for shooting out in the carnival situation at night, get a monopod, and add a ballhead if you have to shoot at odd angles.

why r u so afraid?
    jus hoot them with yr tripod...

Depends on situation...especially when you set up tripod you'll have to clear the area, extend the legs, extend the centre column, find the correct height, tilt to the correct angle...phew it really puts me off sometimes...

My rule of thumb is to use existing support in the environment before setting up a tripod. Can be a dustbin, a wall, a pillar, a chair or table, a railing...anything stable and relatively immobile...even squatting down and set your elbows on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthEagle
    Oh, and the second thing, has anyone ever tried taking photos in supermarkets such as taking pics of colorful green...red chilies and other fruits?
    Tried that before and was told on the spot by the floor manager that I would have to get prior permission. But of course, they have the right to do so.

I never tried setting up inside a supermarket, but when it's crowded it really pays to have a big and sturdy tripod. Like when shooting for fireworks on the bridge in front of fullerton. There's alot of human traffic plus it's at night. Big so people can see the legs and sturdy so the whole thing won't topple should somebody kick your legs.

Just do it. People usually are alert enough to avoid bumping into your gear.

why not extend your tripod and fix ur camera to it before you get to the spot? Then once you're there, just open up the legs slightly, smile, compose, shot and disappear. heheheeeeeeee

Quote Originally Posted by HelmetBox
    why not extend your tripod and fix ur camera to it before you get to the spot? Then once you're there, just open up the legs slightly, smile, compose, shot and disappear. heheheeeeeeee
    And then accidently hit someone in the head when you move...ooohhh..

And then accidently hit someone in the head when you move...ooohhh..
    wakaka! Hug your gear lah! how would you hit someone's head if its kept vertical? no one ask you to carry it horizontal across your shoulders mah. heheheeeeeeeeee

i think its ok to setup your tripod with disregard to the amount of ppl around. Why waste the opportunity to get a good pic becos of a certain crowd?

as for setting up in supermarket? a big no-no la... unless i got prior permission granted...
    Panasonic G3 | Minolta X700 | Minolta X370 | Pentax Asahi Spotmatic | Pratika MTL 3 | Panasonic Lx3

Quote Originally Posted by overcrash
    i think its ok to setup your tripod with disregard to the amount of ppl around. Why waste the opportunity to get a good pic becos of a certain crowd?

as for setting up in supermarket? a big no-no la... unless i got prior permission granted...
    Yeah....but not very easy....you are also blocking people's way and they don't like it.

Yeah....but not very easy....you are also blocking people's way and they don't like it.
    too bad for them then

Or just act like you're from the press or something, then they won't be angry but rather inquisitive and want their picture taken too!

the other day I saw a photographer at the market carry around a high stool then standing up here and there to take pictures. He looked so pro that people didn't mind him blocking the way. Everyone just looked on being kaypo.

actually i agreed with wat helmetbox said.
    sometimes u just gonna do it ur way with disregard to wat u might cos.
    if it is just a little obstruction in movement or something, i dun see the big deal.

but i still dare not prone on the ground just for the sake of taking a pic. wat others might think man? or just to go around and ask those chio bu to take their portraits, they might just take you for a lecher.
    ask man worse, they might think u gay!
    Panasonic G3 | Minolta X700 | Minolta X370 | Pentax Asahi Spotmatic | Pratika MTL 3 | Panasonic Lx3

Talking

I think it is ok to setup tripod in crowded area to shoot. I've done it quite afew times .... at a traffic light junction along orchard road...even on a broad road divider while shooting a building. The most important thing is safety first. Make sure you do not position yourself in a potentially dangerous spot...like too close to oncoming traffic on the road or below a giant ang bao that looks like it will fall on you anytime.

if it is just a little obstruction in movement or something, i dun see the big deal.

but i still dare not prone on the ground just for the sake of taking a pic. wat others might think man? or just to go around and ask those chio bu to take their portraits, they might just take you for a lecher.
    prone?! Wouldn't suggest that in a crowded area, sure kena step on. Just dig a foxhole lah! wakakaka

That's extreme man. normally I just put my camera on the floor and snap snap trail and error. Too fat to prone and get up!

Anyway, OT :Ox

Deregistered

if it's in the darkness, a blinking red light for a bicycle would probably do wonders. though the people walking around the area would be wondering what you're doing...

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    if it's in the darkness, a blinking red light for a bicycle would probably do wonders. though the people walking around the area would be wondering what you're doing...
    why would people be walking around in darkness?! wakakaka....... The places you go to take picture scares me :bmsmilie: heheheeeee.......

Prone on the ground....no.. wait ppl like chiobus wearing short and hot pants start to think you are taking a shot of their 'under'! Then die already....

Deregistered

Stealth, I do occasionally take photos of my friend in hot pants when she practices her routine for her performance.

but still, i use a monopod. no point for a tripod for me

last time i bua-long-long set up tripod along orchard rd b4. just to take a abstract 300~400mm late afternoon crowded shoppers street shot. simply ignore everything else, shoot, pack up n carry on

but then again i will set up tripod my own style as long as
    1. i feel i wont get mugged
    2. i carry one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast