View Poll Results: how long does your entry level DSLR last?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than 30k

    1 50.00%
  • less than 50k

    0 0%
  • less than 70k

    0 0%
  • less than 100k

    0 0%
  • less than 120k

    0 0%
  • less than 150k

    0 0%
  • more than 150k

    1 50.00%
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: how long your shutter lasts? (entry level DSLR)

  1. #1

    Default how long your shutter lasts? (entry level DSLR)

    happen to see one of the post asking how long does shutter lasts... how's yours?

    to have a more precise data, let's keep this to ENTRY LEVEL ONLY (excluding canon 40D, 50D, nikon 200D, 300D)

    Let's start another thread on mid end, followed by high end

  2. #2
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: how long your shutter lasts? (entry level DSLR)

    If you really read through that thread, you will know the shutter won't fail that easily so how many people have experienced shutter failure?
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  3. #3

    Default Re: how long your shutter lasts? (entry level DSLR)

    [QUOTE=CS TAN;5563694]If you really read through that thread, you will know the shutter won't fail that easily so how many people have experienced shutter failure?\

    me

  4. #4
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: how long your shutter lasts? (entry level DSLR)

    Quote Originally Posted by RayDream View Post
    happen to see one of the post asking how long does shutter lasts... how's yours?

    to have a more precise data, let's keep this to ENTRY LEVEL ONLY (excluding canon 40D, 50D, nikon 200D, 300D)

    Let's start another thread on mid end, followed by high end
    if the manufacture can't even give you a figure, how do you make your figure more precise?


    anyway, my take is if the camera shutter really failed, most probably the camera had already serve you well, and you already fully utilize it, just get a new camera or replace the shutter, let say the shutter fall short and failed within warranty period, you should able to get it replace for free.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  5. #5
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: how long your shutter lasts? (entry level DSLR)

    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    If you really read through that thread, you will know the shutter won't fail that easily so how many people have experienced shutter failure?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayDream View Post
    me
    Well, my point is, there is not going to be that many people answering you poll since not that many people has failed shutter.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  6. #6
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: how long your shutter lasts? (entry level DSLR)

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    if the manufacture can't even give you a figure, how do you make your figure more precise?


    anyway, my take is if the camera shutter really failed, most probably the camera had already serve you well, and you already fully utilize it, just get a new camera or replace the shutter, let say the shutter fall short and failed within warranty period, you should able to get it replace for free.
    You bought out one interesting point: Since no one (or at least most of us) is not going to press our brand new camera's shutter 100k times in the first year, should the shutter warranty be extended to 5 years? We have hard disk warranty that last 5 years with the long MTBF already...
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  7. #7
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: how long your shutter lasts? (entry level DSLR)

    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    You bought out one interesting point: Since no one (or at least most of us) is not going to press our brand new camera's shutter 100k times in the first year, should the shutter warranty be extended to 5 years? We have hard disk warranty that last 5 years with the long MTBF already...
    For that, you have ask camera manufacture want to give 5 years warranty on camera's shutter or not.



    btw, I sold my camera recently, the last check shutter counts is 85744, from early 2006 to 2009, actually not been using it since mid last year, so is just slightly more than two years for 85k click.
    shooting 100k shutter counts in a year, most likely the photographer will die first before camera shutter....
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #8

    Default Re: how long your shutter lasts? (entry level DSLR)

    Ray, I remembered seeing a similar poll a long time back, and it was more specific aka listed according to model, and being internet based, it was international. You might have to search a bit though.

  9. #9

    Default Re: how long your shutter lasts? (entry level DSLR)

    heh thanks i remember seeing one too.

    my first DSLR 350D shutter got stuck half-way after warranty period, resulting half image capture. Just wonder if anybody experienced the same thing.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •