Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 182

Thread: Mac Vs Pc

  1. #121

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    Quote Originally Posted by takepo View Post
    It works !!! Finally !! No more lag. Thanks again to Xhui for recommending me this mouse.
    The mouse model is Logitech LS1 Laser Mouse. I bought it at Challenger for $29.
    When I was there last Fri, only 2 were left at Funan Challenger. One white & the other Maroon.
    Here's how it looks like :
    yeah! Excellent! Glad it works! Totally understand the frustrations
    Licence to shoot.

  2. #122

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    A bit OT here:

    Could someone please recommend me a good forum to buy/sell Mac stuffs? Eg iMac, Macbook, etc.

    I did a google search, there's a singapore mac forum but it's not very active in terms of Buy and Sell.

    THANKS!!!
    I've sold 3 mac laptops (iBook, PowerBook, MacBook) in that sg mac user forum. You just goto wait for e right buyer to come along. Maybe can try hwz bah?
    Licence to shoot.

  3. #123
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    How do I grant write access to my external hard disk that was connected to windows?
    I do not wish to purchase additional software.

    PS: Got my new MacBook white
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  4. #124

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    most of photographer are using Mac.. think about it...
    Bokelicious Photography : www.bokelicious.net --- Facebook.com/bokelicious

  5. #125

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    How do I grant write access to my external hard disk that was connected to windows?
    I do not wish to purchase additional software.

    PS: Got my new MacBook white
    I just make sure its FAT32 formatted.. then wouldn't have problem having any access rights with a windoze.. oh, congrats on your new mac!
    Licence to shoot.

  6. #126

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    Just bump into this thread and like to chip in that logitech MX518 work very well too in my experience.

    I used a mac razer death adder before and without the driver, it doesn't work well.

    Seems like some logitech mouse is better if you want a third party mouse that plugs and play on mac.



    Quote Originally Posted by takepo View Post
    It works !!! Finally !! No more lag. Thanks again to Xhui for recommending me this mouse.
    The mouse model is Logitech LS1 Laser Mouse. I bought it at Challenger for $29.
    When I was there last Fri, only 2 were left at Funan Challenger. One white & the other Maroon.
    Here's how it looks like :




  7. #127

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    Quote Originally Posted by sadwitch View Post
    Just bump into this thread and like to chip in that logitech MX518 work very well too in my experience.

    I used a mac razer death adder before and without the driver, it doesn't work well.

    Seems like some logitech mouse is better if you want a third party mouse that plugs and play on mac.
    Licence to shoot.

  8. #128

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    A bit OT here but need advice from you experienced Mac guys...

    If I get an iMac, can I upgrade/add another Hard Disk or increase the RAM size myself?

    The shop allows me to do so before the purchase but they are so expensive!! For example, for an extra 1TB disk, I need to pay more that $300! And an extra 4GB RAM costs also in excess of $300!

    Can I instead buy my own internal 1TB hard-disk ($100+ only?!) or RAM ($25 per 1GB only?!) like those used for PC, and do it myself at a later stage?

    Pardon me, I'm a PC user here making the slow switch to a Mac. Thank u!

  9. #129
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    A bit OT here but need advice from you experienced Mac guys...

    If I get an iMac, can I upgrade/add another Hard Disk or increase the RAM size myself?

    The shop allows me to do so before the purchase but they are so expensive!! For example, for an extra 1TB disk, I need to pay more that $300! And an extra 4GB RAM costs also in excess of $300!

    Can I instead buy my own internal 1TB hard-disk ($100+ only?!) or RAM ($25 per 1GB only?!) like those used for PC, and do it myself at a later stage?

    Pardon me, I'm a PC user here making the slow switch to a Mac. Thank u!
    Not sure about the HDD but I upgraded the RAM myself. Paid about 140 to add another 4GB. No need to pay apple. :P

  10. #130
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    Quote Originally Posted by xhui View Post
    I just make sure its FAT32 formatted.. then wouldn't have problem having any access rights with a windoze.. oh, congrats on your new mac!
    After using for a week, I don't feel anything special about mac. Just that the boot up and shut down is fast (Faster because I have not stuff it up with junks) and nicer sharper LCD display. Besides that I am using it for photo editing, surf web, type document....nothing really special actually.

    I guess it is all about the hype...isn't it? There are mac users commented that after they have switched they never look back...what is just so special? Care to share?
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  11. #131

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    Quote Originally Posted by ndroo View Post
    Not sure about the HDD but I upgraded the RAM myself. Paid about 140 to add another 4GB. No need to pay apple. :P
    I see... RAMs are RAMs right... no such thing as PC RAM or Apple RAM?

    Is it difficult to upgrade?

  12. #132

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    After using for a week, I don't feel anything special about mac. Just that the boot up and shut down is fast (Faster because I have not stuff it up with junks) and nicer sharper LCD display. Besides that I am using it for photo editing, surf web, type document....nothing really special actually.

    I guess it is all about the hype...isn't it? There are mac users commented that after they have switched they never look back...what is just so special? Care to share?
    Actually, I also wish to know more about the differences too but no one seems to be able to come up with strong "+" points about Macs over PCs.

    When I went to the Apple website, I read that with Macs, you hardly get any viruses and there's no irritating, unexplanable crashes so common with PCs. So initially I thot these were the 2 big advantages. But later, I read over the Internet that they are just myths. Or at least the crashing part. Macs still can crash.

    The reason I'm getting a Mac is that my old PC is getting slow/faulty and I want to experience all the Mac "hype". But what I do know is, I like the screen layout (the dock is so cool!) and evrything about Mac seems to be made for multimedia stuffs.

    Also, people told me I should use Windows XP (before Win 7 was released) and to avoid Win Vista cos it eats up memory and is slow to use. I thought it's just so lame and poor job done on Microsoft's part. When I upgrade my OS, obviously I want the latest. How come everyone's saying stick to the very old Win XP? Doesn't make sense. So I thought, enough of the Windows nonsense. (Even though many have said Win7 seems to rock this time.)

    I hope my transition to Mac will be smooth and enjoyable.

  13. #133
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I see... RAMs are RAMs right... no such thing as PC RAM or Apple RAM?

    Is it difficult to upgrade?
    It does indicate what kind of RAM chips you need in the manual. Just take that, go down SLS and get the right ones. I ain't too familiar with hardware stuffs, thus that's what I did. The manual also shows you how to open up the memory compartment on the iMac. Just unscrew the cover and shove (with care) the new memory chips ... and you are all ready to go.

  14. #134

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    After using for a week, I don't feel anything special about mac. Just that the boot up and shut down is fast (Faster because I have not stuff it up with junks) and nicer sharper LCD display. Besides that I am using it for photo editing, surf web, type document....nothing really special actually.

    I guess it is all about the hype...isn't it? There are mac users commented that after they have switched they never look back...what is just so special? Care to share?
    I don't think its the "what's special" about mac thing. But its really the "I don't need to think or bother" with irrisome stuffs from windoze or the way it functions. No i do not need to bother with installing drivers, the small small details of how i can just delete an app by dragging them to the trashbin with no need to find the uninstaller etc. Its the small "daily and mundane" stuffs which makes more sense with using a mac.

    Oh yes, you don't think it's anyway special because it doesn't keeps on your nerves doesn't it? I shall not harp on the "no need to bother about virus/trojan/ad,malware" part for mac too. But the needless to have a part of you worrying in regards to your computer getting infected, i'm sure that is something a lot of people would be mostly thankful for especially if they've had enough of all those "unknown" shut downs, unknown files floating around suddenly, unknown and weird "happenings" of your computer. Don't get me wrong, there are viruses (and related) targetted for macs too, but just much much lesser as macs aren't the major operating system around! Btw, i don't use any anti-virus program on my windoze PC also and i've seldom/never goton infected. So it boils down to how a user practice "PC-care" in general.

    Usually we only find reasons or issues to talk about when things aren't going great and not when its all going smoothly. These are just my personal 2c with my mac and pc. Having needed the Windoze platform for my programming stuffs, I relied on windoze to complete my stuffs. But when i get home, i'm really glad i have a mac to come back to. Maybe you can say it serves different functions and provides for different needs and expectations.
    Licence to shoot.

  15. #135

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    A bit OT here but need advice from you experienced Mac guys...

    If I get an iMac, can I upgrade/add another Hard Disk or increase the RAM size myself?

    The shop allows me to do so before the purchase but they are so expensive!! For example, for an extra 1TB disk, I need to pay more that $300! And an extra 4GB RAM costs also in excess of $300!

    Can I instead buy my own internal 1TB hard-disk ($100+ only?!) or RAM ($25 per 1GB only?!) like those used for PC, and do it myself at a later stage?

    Pardon me, I'm a PC user here making the slow switch to a Mac. Thank u!
    David, please please don't pay for Apple Premium Rams or HDD. They are really overpriced! Head down to Sim Lim, SGL Marketing #02-23, its on the 2nd floor, almost impossible-to-find niche near the overhead bridge between Sim Lim Square and Albert Complex across the road. You should be able to get your stuffs for your Macs. Ask those people there if in doubt. They have all the Rams, HDD etc for Mac stuffs.
    Licence to shoot.

  16. #136

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    Quote Originally Posted by xhui View Post
    David, please please don't pay for Apple Premium Rams or HDD. They are really overpriced! Head down to Sim Lim, SGL Marketing #02-23, its on the 2nd floor, almost impossible-to-find niche near the overhead bridge between Sim Lim Square and Albert Complex across the road. You should be able to get your stuffs for your Macs. Ask those people there if in doubt. They have all the Rams, HDD etc for Mac stuffs.
    Thanks xhui for the useful reminder.

    Ok, point noted!

    Yes... when I saw the prices, I couldn't believe my eyes. They are truly, hugely overpriced....!

  17. #137

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Thanks xhui for the useful reminder.

    Ok, point noted!

    Yes... when I saw the prices, I couldn't believe my eyes. They are truly, hugely overpriced....!
    Always a pleasure to help!
    Licence to shoot.

  18. #138

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    Xhui,

    Oh yes, I've had those unknown, unexplainable shutdowns also with my PC. Re-installed Windows. Now I've got intermittent re-boot when I'm halfway doing my stuffs! I have anti-virus installed and I don't visit those dodgy websites or open unknown mails. Still got it.

    And not to mention the scary PC Blue Screen of Death!!!

    Hopefully, my yet to come iMac will be kind to me.


    P.S: You sound like a seasoned Mac user.

  19. #139

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    After using for a week, I don't feel anything special about mac. Just that the boot up and shut down is fast (Faster because I have not stuff it up with junks) and nicer sharper LCD display. Besides that I am using it for photo editing, surf web, type document....nothing really special actually.

    I guess it is all about the hype...isn't it? There are mac users commented that after they have switched they never look back...what is just so special? Care to share?

    It's the cumulative little things that makes Mac so special for me. It's so easy to install hardwares, setup networks, etc.. the interface is designed by someone who is geniunely interested in making things simple for the user. A simple thing like the Spotlight feature works beautifully for me, where Window's current search features cannot match.

    Add to that, the Mac OS can simply read all my RAW files without having to use any external softwares. And I can create PDF files without Adobe,.... the list goes on.

    You might have to give yourself some time to explore all the little differences that Mac brings, as you are probably used to how things work in Windows.

  20. #140

    Default Re: Mac Vs Pc

    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Xhui,

    Oh yes, I've had those unknown, unexplainable shutdowns also with my PC. Re-installed Windows. Now I've got intermittent re-boot when I'm halfway doing my stuffs! I have anti-virus installed and I don't visit those dodgy websites or open unknown mails. Still got it.

    And not to mention the scary PC Blue Screen of Death!!!

    Hopefully, my yet to come iMac will be kind to me.


    P.S: You sound like a seasoned Mac user.
    continue to explore the Mac platform, there's tones of stuffs to explore actually. If you go really advance, the unix core allows for even more customization and automation (apple scripts, Automator etc!)

    But not to paint the all rosey picture as yet, Mac being a different platform requires a bit of unlearning (windoze ways) and relearning. Yes there are occasions when you'll flip as to why there isn't that program for mac, but oh well most/all of us live thru those enjoy your Mac when it arrives!

    Am just a happy mac user for 8yrs and counting!
    Last edited by xhui; 19th November 2009 at 01:32 PM.
    Licence to shoot.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •