Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

Default Re: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

Quote Originally Posted by huaiwei View Post
    Haha the thing is...he isn't that rich! The price some people can pay to fuel their egos...priceless!

Anyway I thought after that L lens stint some common sense was finally knocked into him. But just a few days ago after I bought my D300s, he demanded to know the specs...especially the mp. I suppose it must comfort him to know that my 12.3 is inferior to his 15.1.
    Sometimes what many people feel is the ego. Funny thing is that when you bring out a pns to shoot an event, those boys with the big guns would just give you a cursory glance and edge you off your spot. But the moment, you switch the pns for a DSLR, they could not help but try to befriend you and ask about your gear especially the whale tail, the hammer head and etc. More heads turn the moment you whip out the 600mm tele. Funny behaviour but it seems everyone is only comparing the specs and not the skills.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Default Re: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

i use 500D with kit lens and sometimes those people beside with expensive gears giving strange looks. it makes me feel very inferior, but sometimes i peek at their lcd when they finish the shots. not fantastic at all, in fact kit lens can produce amazing photos.
    also remembered when i went for the canon free dslr course, a lot of people came in with expensive lens and body but with zero knowledge of shutterspeed and aperture kind of stuffs. not that i am very good, just saying.
    Last edited by altezza87; 1st January 2010 at 12:52 AM.
    Photography Beginner...

i initially started with a SX10IS exactly 364days ago. back then, all that i cared about was to play with my new toy as much as i can, so i bring it everywhere. no doubt, some buggers tend to want to sneer at your camera at every opportunity. i say, let them gloat all they want, because it's an endless power struggle. those are the exact people who'd feel 'shamed' when someone whips out a camera one up of theirs.

surprised to see this thread, as i do realize that nowadays, there are far too many people who purchase cameras like it's a new branded accessory and hang it around then parade around the streets. even worse, it sometimes really just hangs there and does nothing else, ie, don't really see them shooting anything. IMHO, if your camera is out hanging, use it, or it's gonna collect unnecessary dust/water/grime. hell no way am I gonna let my toys get dirty hanging out in the open. i'd much rather take it out and shoot when i need, keep it when i'm not shooting (I'm using a sling bag, so it's fairly convenient to draw out). also, it's not just an accessory..

=P regards~ and Happy New Year =)
    Last edited by LukaviZ; 1st January 2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: 364, not 355days
    1 Camera Body and a couple lenses.

I'm only shy when pulling out an SLR.
    Not shy if it is a small camera/compact
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

never! now that many ppl are using 5Dm2, 7D, 50D, D300, D700, A850, i still feel proud of using a 20D =D

I remember one incident (during the film days), me and my dad were shooting a wedding. We were a bit insecure with one of the guest who has a very expensive camera.

In the middle of the ceremony, the guest approached me and said: " Can you help me change the film?"
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

Quote Originally Posted by altezza87 View Post
    i use 500D with kit lens and sometimes those people beside with expensive gears giving strange looks. it makes me feel very inferior, but sometimes i peek at their lcd when they finish the shots. not fantastic at all, in fact kit lens can produce amazing photos.
    also remembered when i went for the canon free dslr course, a lot of people came in with expensive lens and body but with zero knowledge of shutterspeed and aperture kind of stuffs. not that i am very good, just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by LukaviZ View Post
    i initially started with a SX10IS exactly 355days ago. back then, all that i cared about was to play with my new toy as much as i can, so i bring it everywhere. no doubt, some buggers tend to want to sneer at your camera at every opportunity. i say, let them gloat all they want, because it's an endless power struggle. those are the exact people who'd feel 'shamed' when someone whips out a camera one up of theirs.

surprised to see this thread, as i do realize that nowadays, there are far too many people who purchase cameras like it's a new branded accessory and hang it around then parade around the streets. even worse, it sometimes really just hangs there and does nothing else, ie, don't really see them shooting anything. IMHO, if your camera is out hanging, use it, or it's gonna collect unnecessary dust/water/grime. hell no way am I gonna let my toys get dirty hanging out in the open. i'd much rather take it out and shoot when i need, keep it when i'm not shooting (I'm using a sling bag, so it's fairly convenient to draw out). also, it's not just an accessory..

=P regards~ and Happy New Year =)
    Quote Originally Posted by hayami.wai View Post
    never! now that many ppl are using 5Dm2, 7D, 50D, D300, D700, A850, i still feel proud of using a 20D =D
    What all you have said is so true. At the end of the day we should not bother with what they have and we should not feel inferior. Like what the true master would say, it's your fighting skill that matters not the weapon you carry.

Cheers...Happy New Year to All.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

I'm a painfully shy person, but I don't feel shy when I use my camera becos I know that my objective is to capture moments of my kids' babyhood and childhood, not to submit breathtaking pictures for competitions. A few months have passed and people still look. I take it that they must have felt that it's unusual for a small woman to have a big camera around her neck.

bullied, shy, envious .........

I travel quite a bit.
    I shoot in urban and rugged terrain.

my standard kit is a nikkor 17-35 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 VR

the 70-200 evokes reactions.

In Singapore, apart from the involuntary "wah lau!!",
    everyone else pretends like its not there,
    the way people pretend not to notice when i have left my fly undone.
    Children tend to be more spontaneous.

In most other countries, people will come right up to me and stare.
    Some will give the thumbs up, and some will just smile in appreciation.

Occassionally there are those who will ask me questions and
    exhibit an unabashed sense of envy (not the negative kind of envy)
    but the "wish i could have one" type of envy.

I often offer the interested parties an opportunity to handle the equipment, even make a few shots.

How we want to react to anything is really up to us.
    Maybe the guy with the big stuff just wants to mind his own business and play with his toys.
    At the end of the day, it IS about the photograph and not the equipment isn't it?

Is there much point feeling anything until we see the photos?

two weeks ago i bought a nikkor 400mm f2.8 VR........ :-)

i think is problem with singaporean la..

i will always imagine no one is looking at me even tho i was crouching or sth.. haha
    Last edited by hoho85; 1st January 2010 at 08:59 PM.
    I love Tamron.

no leh, i always take out my Cheapo Sony A330 and show that i can take equally nice photos with a cheaper cam.
    Sony a330 | 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 | 50 f/1.8 | M 28-80 f/4-5.6 | M 80-200 f/4.5-5.6

at first a bit pai seh, but after sometime got used to it, din realli bother abt the stares...
    Canon 1000D (Tamron 17-50 F/2.8, Tamron 19-35 f/3.5-4.5, EFS 55-250, EF 50 F/1.8)

One shouldn't be shy for this. It is not what camera you use is what you capture.
    Many good photographers start from entry level camera to what they are now. So don't be shy.
    Canon5D 50mm/100mm (macro)/24-105mm/100-400mm
    My flickr

I see people bring big camera without tripod to take fireworks photo, I very shy, how come I no have steady hands like them

Quote Originally Posted by Timolol View Post
    I see people bring big camera without tripod to take fireworks photo, I very shy, how come I no have steady hands like them
    perhaps u gonna ask this question, "is their image gonna b acceptable since they weren't using tripod?!"
    haha...perhaps out of 10, 10 fails..lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Timolol View Post
    Haha! Now this is a question for us to think abt.

I remember once when I saw this kid (primary 5 or 6 and I am a teenager) holding this DSLR with a damn big lens.. and then I became very shy and missed some shots.

And I am also using those entry level DSLR and people would thought that I am just another rich poseur who knows nothing about photography. Maybe I should try to get used to it. =/

er....nope. because i don't intend to shoot them at all....if i intend to shoot(xmm) then get shy...other wise, nope.

Btw, using a PnS camera, by sanyo.
    Photography is not learned in a day's time. Camera:Fujifilm Prosumer Camera S2500HD

Quote Originally Posted by ITphobia View Post
    Haha, I think this problem only occur to ammatures like me.. Do you feel shy when you see other photographers carrying better camera or look more professional in front of you and even made you move to another subject to shoot instead...??

I used to feel that when I first got my DSLR, now not so much... But if someone is carrying freaking large gears, I've got a feeling of getting bullied.. LOL...
    yes i feel that way... its more of a protective stance for ur judgement of buying that particular equipment also it is bcos i am not confident of my angle or lighting and think that another person's may be better so i move to mimic the movement of others. also could be bcos of the subject itself. some feel uncomfortable taking too many pictures of a subject even thought the photographer knows he hasn't got the "perfect" shot but its weird to take 100 photos of a statue of sir stanford raffles or spend 1 hr taking photo of a statue...
    Canon 550D Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 HSM OS | 50mm f1.8 II | 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS | Di622 | BP-550D

well I do feel a bit shy during school events when I'm shooting..

the "professional" photographer the school engages (despite all the student photographers like me) uses a higher-range Canon model (7D or 5D Mk II , can't really tell) with a whole assortment of white L telephoto lenses, while I use a 40D with the kit lenses, 18-55 and 55-250.

I do feel rather inferior, but then its not a contest of who has the better camera, its about the photos. So as the "professional" stood around like a statue, I ran around shooting from the best angle and trying out the settings. I didn't let richer people lower my morale, and at the end of the day still produced great photos which the teacher accepted.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast