Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

Default Re: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

i don't care,you don't really need a very good camera or camera equipment to take a nice photo.

Default Re: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ocular View Post
    There's no reason to be shy around photographers who have better gear. Most of those folks started off basically the same as you and maybe with lesser gear. I will admit that I have run into a few that carry an attitude of superiority just because they carry gear of a particular brand name or price range. It's best to just ignore them and get on with taking your pictures. Don't let shyness be the reason you missed a photo op. Example: Last year I went with a group of nature photographers capturing photos of birds. I was using a Sony A700 and my biggest lens was the Sony 70-200. Several of the other members in the group were carrying some very impressive high dollar gear. However, only a couple folks asked why I used Sony and not Nikon or Canon. By the end of the day it was no longer discussed. I was the only person in the group to capture shots of an Osprey with a freshly caught fish, a Roseate Spoonbill and a Night Heron, all in flight.The how I did it became the discussion. The name on my camera is not what captured these images. Knowing my camera's abilities and having knowledge of these particur bird's behavior when they came into view is what allowed me to capture the images. Now I'm a member of the group and we take regular photo outings when I'm home and I'm still using a Sony.
    that's really awesome to hear!

for me, i don't own a dslr yet.. but am thinking abt getting an entry-level one soon cos of budget.. and thinking abt shooting when everyone else has better gear tends to get abit intimidating to be honest. i've to constantly remind myself that at the end of the day, it's the photo that counts..

I am shy because when i use a Powershot A720 only..other people with their big telephoto lens and diffuser flash and viewfinder..while i stare at my LCD screen. But its more of a personal thing i guess..

Haha! me 2. When i flash out my Sony H50 at shopping malls where other guys that carry heavy duty DSLR hang out, I really felt inferior.

after shooting for a while u will know what makes a photog is not the camera he is holding. i dun feel anything bad when i am shooting with my wife's PnS when other people are lugging their dslrs.

Quote Originally Posted by narofx View Post
    actually, i would be more interested to know what lens the photographers are using, rather than the body.
    unless a person is lugging a 600mm on streets , else i am more curious to see what they took. maybe nxt time i will go say hi and befriend and ask them what they got.

ryan

Hi all, may be i m new to this site but i see the 'market' change form film to digital and type of model. To me photography is knowledge, skill, passion and $$.
    For a group that like high end or 'big' spec with a deep pocket, they may enter the market with 3k mark but the result does not match the equipment level.
    If u r serious photo snapper, the first 3 above mention will bring u confident level however u use any model. Basic u must learn & understand your equipment.
    Any thing more then 5MP CAN DO THE JOB GENERALLY WELL.
    correct me if im wrong.
    My first toy 700 in 1992 also can did a good job and last me 3 year..

Another famous photographer to use compact camera for model shoot is Yasumasa Yonehara.Yonehara, the phtographers official site here: http://cexwork.com/

He shot the Sneaker Lover photobook, featuring gravure model Aki Hoshino
    http://thisislavie.com/footwear/snea...ver-photo-book

Preview it here http://www.goma-books.com/hoshino/
    Read a review of it here: http://kix-files.com/2008/01/kiks-ty...er-photo-book/

If you google and download the DVD of the photoshoot for sneaker lover, you can see Yonehara used a Ricoh GRD II with Ricoh external flash. This suggests that if you buy a pro compact and add a flash, you can do reasonably well.

Last edited by artspraken; 5th December 2009 at 04:13 PM.

When I use my dslr, I do not feel superior in anyway. Sometimes it is the people around you with inferior complexity. First it is the dslr vs pns. Then it is the dslr with L lens vs dslr with non-L lens. If others like to compare. Let them do so. I just want to shoot my shoot. It's just like the men's toilet. When all face the wall. Some will peep and react with wide eyes, others will grin. Whatever and however they react is their problem. The most important thing is that I have taken my shot and feels better.

Haha. I will feel even more shy if I use a huge dslr + fat long white lenses. It tends to attract too much attention.

sometime i will feel abit shy lah ...cos i using a EOS 7D with some lousy lens ...old kit len - 18-55/75-300 canon ...cos not sure ppl will tjhink this way or not ..."hey u see that guy camera so new and good but the lens he using so lousy " haha ....

Cool Re: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

Quote Originally Posted by ITphobia View Post
    Haha, I think this problem only occur to ammatures like me.. Do you feel shy when you see other photographers carrying better camera or look more professional in front of you and even made you move to another subject to shoot instead...??

I used to feel that when I first got my DSLR, now not so much... But if someone is carrying freaking large gears, I've got a feeling of getting bullied.. LOL...
    Lol I rem once when I was arrowed to take the annual mendaki event and the quest of honour was the PM himself.... I was the only small fish that took out a D80 and 18-200mm lens whereby the rest lol... Big cannon. Just think of it this way... Be a proud owner of yr own camera... Imagining like my situation I am proud to stand along side wif them shooting the event.... It's a good experience and a good way to train yr confident. Better stil see how they shoot.
    Not out of point right?!! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by viewtiful View Post
    Lol I rem once when I was arrowed to take the annual mendaki event and the quest of honour was the PM himself.... I was the only small fish that took out a D80 and 18-200mm lens whereby the rest lol... Big cannon. Just think of it this way... Be a proud owner of yr own camera... Imagining like my situation I am proud to stand along side wif them shooting the event.... It's a good experience and a good way to train yr confident. Better stil see how they shoot.
    Not out of point right?!! Lol
    Lol sorry sorry it's actually a d70. Type too fast

i feel shy lei haha... even though i'm standing beside someone using entry level dslr i still pai seh lei haha... how to overcome this prob? =D
    Canon EOS 7D, EFS 15-85mm, EF 50mm
    Canon today, Hasselblad tomorrow.

I took my LX3 for firework shoot at vivo, surrounding are all dslr big boys but i don't care.
    And i took pictures of crowd with flash behind/beside me several times haha

If i may give my premature opinion (since i am still amateur in doing photography and please pardon me if there is something not so ideal)
    feeling shy or not shy, i think i have to do photography with many hapiness. When i am already happy with it, i think i will see the equipments (the camera, lens, other assesories) that i have right now (while doing shooting) also apart of the hapiness. Feeling shy only appear in the first few minutes, after i get the fun / joys, soon i will forget about feeling shy because i am to busy for cathing the shot that i want with the joy / hapiness in doing photography. As long i am not disturbing others, i dont think i have to feel shy. i've ever been laughed by other photographers when i took photos near the Fullerton Hotel (the railing beside the Singapore River) using my small cellphone camera, hahaha (at that time my dslr was still in service center for cleaning sensor and other service). I think i looked so "......" at that time lah, and they had their own fredoom of feeling / reacting (never mind lah....just let it became an interesting experince for me....keep on shooting ....) That was the challenge for me, how i should love doing photography much more (with using what ever camera that i had at that time so i didn't lose the photos that i want to get) rather than just love bringing my dslr along with me. I've ever read a nice advice sentence when i was young "When you believe about some thing, you are one step closer to it" so if i don't have to be shy with what ever the camera + equipment (and believe that the equipment i had that time can be used to capture the photo) it will be easier for me to get the photos that i want (one step closer to my goal). Feeling happy and flowing with our own creativity is important for me in doing photography. Here is the result of the shot using my small cellphone camera, i love it because of it gave me a different challange and experience, hahaha.....
    Keep on shooting.....with the happines of it and with our own creativity along it......

The Opposite
    The Railing of Singapore River, Marina Bay, Singapore
    (Using Cell Phone Camera, Samsung Omnia SGH-i900)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2714306...7613677649217/
    Last edited by Dearchivism; 22nd December 2009 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by helmet1989 View Post
    i feel shy lei haha... even though i'm standing beside someone using entry level dslr i still pai seh lei haha... how to overcome this prob? =D
    You should go cosplay photo shooting. Those cosplayers are more than happy to pose for you. I believe it's a good place to gain your confidence...

Quote Originally Posted by jacky3288 View Post
    Hi all, may be i m new to this site but i see the 'market' change form film to digital and type of model. To me photography is knowledge, skill, passion and $$.
    For a group that like high end or 'big' spec with a deep pocket, they may enter the market with 3k mark but the result does not match the equipment level.
    If u r serious photo snapper, the first 3 above mention will bring u confident level however u use any model. Basic u must learn & understand your equipment.
    Any thing more then 5MP CAN DO THE JOB GENERALLY WELL
    correct me if im wrong.
    My first toy 700 in 1992 also can did a good job and last me 3 year..
    I used a PnS for few years before moving to DSLR. Once, I brought my PnS to a race, then I could not pass it to anyone, so I ran with it . At the end of the race, I got some nice photos with me. hahaha. So after I uploaded the camera, the guy with 50D ask me, wah! you ran with ur DSLR that day??? So happy! hehehehe~

But once, someone who used a 40D refused when i took photo for her, she said my PnS camera is damn cheap and lousy, don't bother. LOL. I was really upset about it .

I used to feel inferior in front of the big guns with my 500D and kit 1 lens . Sometimes I would not bother to take photo anymore if I saw them in action already. hahaha...

Until now I got a more proper camera. Now I am even more worried if ppl ask to see my photos and think my skill is damn lousy . hhahaha~ I think life is like that. No ending! hahahhaa.....

So, the moral of the story: keep snapping and should not bother too much about what others think. photography to me is just another hobby.

Hah some random anacdotes to share:

I have been using digital P&S since nine years ago, and I still use them today alongside my DSLR. Its like carrying a rifle and a sidearm everywhere I go...you never know when that sidearm is going to make all the difference should your rifle kong out for any reason, or when you can use both simultaneously. Recently, I was trying to shoot the NDP matchpass outside City Hall, when I discovered by chance that the railing in front of me is sturdy enough to prop my P&S on it. At the end of the day, I have both DSLR stills and a full-length HD quality video to capture that moment. Pleased with that experiment, I repeated the procedure again when the fireworks burst behind me. Absolutely priceless!

Because I always carry my P&S everywhere, I do use it to capture anything which catches my eye, or if I happen to chance upon some kind of event or performance. Occasionally, there will be giant DSLRs around me, and for all I know, they could very well be laughing at me. I cannot care less thou, for when I am lugging my DSLR around, I don't laugh at other P&S users.

I have a friend who recently started on the DSLR train. After buying an entry-level body (1000D), he seemed to get rather affected when I said quite matter-of-factly that it is an entry-level camera (probably didn't help that I was a D200 user then). Within a year, he upgraded to a 50D, even thou I felt he was not technically ready for it skills-wise, and that his photographic habits did not quite justify such an upgrade. He also made it quite clear that he dreams to get his hands on an L lens, and soon enough, I witnessed him getting a giant L zoom lens. Satisfaction guaranteed? Well a few days later, he said he wants to sell it coz it "attracted too much attention". So despite my advise, he has spent so much money for reasons I sometimes feel are more for ego's and peer pressure's sake than a real pressing need to take better shots for self-satisfaction.
    D300s D200 350D | N18-200VRII N18-70 N50 TK12-24 S70-300 TR18-200

Quote Originally Posted by huaiwei View Post
    Hah some random anacdotes to share:

I have been using digital P&S since nine years ago, and I still use them today alongside my DSLR. Its like carrying a rifle and a sidearm everywhere I go...you never know when that sidearm is going to make all the difference should your rifle kong out for any reason, or when you can use both simultaneously. Recently, I was trying to shoot the NDP matchpass outside City Hall, when I discovered by chance that the railing in front of me is sturdy enough to prop my P&S on it. At the end of the day, I have both DSLR stills and a full-length HD quality video to capture that moment. Pleased with that experiment, I repeated the procedure again when the fireworks burst behind me. Absolutely priceless!

Because I always carry my P&S everywhere, I do use it to capture anything which catches my eye, or if I happen to chance upon some kind of event or performance. Occasionally, there will be giant DSLRs around me, and for all I know, they could very well be laughing at me. I cannot care less thou, for when I am lugging my DSLR around, I don't laugh at other P&S users.

I have a friend who recently started on the DSLR train. After buying an entry-level body (1000D), he seemed to get rather affected when I said quite matter-of-factly that it is an entry-level camera (probably didn't help that I was a D200 user then). Within a year, he upgraded to a 50D, even thou I felt he was not technically ready for it skills-wise, and that his photographic habits did not quite justify such an upgrade. He also made it quite clear that he dreams to get his hands on an L lens, and soon enough, I witnessed him getting a giant L zoom lens. Satisfaction guaranteed? Well a few days later, he said he wants to sell it coz it "attracted too much attention". So despite my advise, he has spent so much money for reasons I sometimes feel are more for ego's and peer pressure's sake than a real pressing need to take better shots for self-satisfaction.
    Rich friend of yours you have there!!

Quote Originally Posted by ITphobia View Post
    Rich friend of yours you have there!!
    Haha the thing is...he isn't that rich! The price some people can pay to fuel their egos...priceless!

Anyway I thought after that L lens stint some common sense was finally knocked into him. But just a few days ago after I bought my D300s, he demanded to know the specs...especially the mp. I suppose it must comfort him to know that my 12.3 is inferior to his 15.1.
    D300s D200 350D | N18-200VRII N18-70 N50 TK12-24 S70-300 TR18-200

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast