Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

Default Re: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

Quote Originally Posted by hydroburn249 View Post
    sispec warriors we are the warriors! lol. charlie company long long time ago.

but why do u feel uncomfortable when they shoot with kit lens and no flash? perhaps they are confident of their handholding at slow shutters etc? or they really bump up ISO?

dont understand why you would feel uncomfortable.

well thats because i know i cant get shots while they can.

btw echo 42nd.

Default Re: Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

Hmm.... TS i do feel the same as u do. For me mainly is becos i always felt that those ppl with huge gears sure can take nice photo (i know the mane behind the VF makes the different) but jus felt so uncomfortable sometimes. So afraid that when ppl start to look at my pix and they go 'Aiyo, u use P&S gd enuff liao la.' I dunno how is it like for TS but for me, thats how i felt.
    D80

its inevitable for newcomers like myself. but so far, no senior has actually said or thought my "gun" is inferior. instead, we are chatting abt the joy of photography and how to squeeze time for photo shoot (got family). respect is what i hv learnt in photography. respect the others, pictures, objects and gear... if they are more to comparing the gears, then he/she is not real, more of a "poser" eh....

Quote Originally Posted by nysheng View Post
    i do see occasional guys wearing sbo-like jackets and sunglasses with the works..haha.. always makes me laugh.
    if u are confident of ur own ability, u dun have to worry abt wat others think or do. most of the time..they will be like u too.
    what's so funny about sbo jackets?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber_Duck View Post
    What abt bring this camera along....
    ppl will at you.....

that's what i normally shoot with

Horseman L-45
    I refuse to List my camer@ equipment here.

Quote Originally Posted by krishna91 View Post
    that's what i normally shoot with

Horseman L-45
    NO...don't show it this way, it's too obvious, I'd always used the black focusing cloth to cover it, so that it will create mystery and suspense like magician, and you will be seeing people trying to peep from below... especially children...

ITphobia should try go searching for that A* scholar with her partner walking / strolling around Holland V in facebook or twitter or don't know what blog so that next time round we shall see ITphobia trotting around in Holland V with his DSLR hanging low from the front, that should make another headline.

I got the same feeling when I am in the restroom standing at the urinals

Our friend is beginning to shoot now, perhaps got some insight from that A* scholar.

The only time i will feel shy is when going to friend wedding.. those not so close one... if i wanna to take photo usually i only bring my lx3... unless those like bro bro wedding.. i will bring dslr to shot... beside tat so far so good..
    :P

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    Our friend is beginning to shoot now, perhaps got some insight from that A* scholar.
    LOL, I've been shooting for quite some time le ar.... I also didn't mention that I don't shoot at all... I bring this discussion out because I just curious how other felt...
    Last edited by ITphobia; 27th November 2009 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ITphobia View Post
    LOL, I've been shooting for quite some time le ar.... I also didn't mention that I don't shoot at all... I bring this discussion out because I just curious how other felt...

Interesting thread. I think the problem is uniquely Singaporean. Go anywhere in Singapore and you see the my gear is bigger than yours mentality. If you travel to Europe or US, you'll see most tourist take out their pns. Sometimes I do see the odd chinese guy with the biggest gear and the most x accessories in the tour group and when I ask him where's he from. The answer will hardly surprise anyone...Singapore.

Anyways I always use a low end dslr for my travels as it is cumbersome to be carring so much gear. At the end of the day, it's the person behind the camera. I've known some friends who can take better pictures than me with only a pns.
    Last edited by hotwork77; 27th November 2009 at 12:36 PM.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post

Interesting thread. I think the problem is uniquely Singaporean. Go anywhere in Singapore and you see the my gear is bigger than yours mentality. If you travel to Europe or US, you'll see most tourist take out their pns. Sometimes I do see the odd chinese guy with the biggest gear and the most x accessories in the tour group and when I ask him where's he from. The answer will hardly surprise anyone...Singapore.

Anyways I always use a low end dslr for my travels as it is cumbersome to be carring so much gear. At the end of the day, it's the person behind the camera. I've known some friends who can take better pictures than me with only a pns.
    Agree with you 100% here. I walk around with either my Olympus OM1N or my Panasonic LX3 and shoot whatever I like. Of course if you're gonna shoot people do let them know. If you want to catch them unawares then you'll have to take the dirty looks you sometimes get. Still raising your hand to thank them and a slight bow with your head usually works. If they are still irritated show them the picture and send a copy to them. If still not happy delete the photo infront of them.

As for feeling shy infront of other photographers - never felt this way.
    Last edited by magicdragon; 27th November 2009 at 01:03 PM.

i shy to show mine... so small... the GF1 with pancake lens

I dont even own a dslr.

I never felt shy about whipping out my rangefinder anytime. Besides, they cost just as much or even more than a dslr, dont see the point of being shy

never did, never will.

big gears don't mean pics taken are "tok-gong". it is the combination of the human behind the VF and the human knowing how to exploit his gear to the fullest that makes or breaks the pics.

In certain countries as I'd known, showing off x gear means inviting for trouble. So does it happened when driving an x car to our nearest neighbourhood country, it can be gone for less than 10 minutes.

Behaving low profile is always the best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    In certain countries as I'd known, showing off x gear means inviting for trouble. So does it happened when driving an x car to our nearest neighbourhood country, it can be gone for less than 10 minutes.

Behaving low profile is always the best bet.
    Sound advice. Camera and camera accessories not for showing off.

just be yr own-self and don't think about it on whose piece is better. enjoy yr outing, photo-shoots & the follow-ups in the pc.
    all pieces have their own plus points & niche role.

even the cheap shoot & throw cartridge film camera provided the best shot of the commercial supersonic plane that caught fire on take-off and crashed.

There's no reason to be shy around photographers who have better gear. Most of those folks started off basically the same as you and maybe with lesser gear. I will admit that I have run into a few that carry an attitude of superiority just because they carry gear of a particular brand name or price range. It's best to just ignore them and get on with taking your pictures. Don't let shyness be the reason you missed a photo op. Example: Last year I went with a group of nature photographers capturing photos of birds. I was using a Sony A700 and my biggest lens was the Sony 70-200. Several of the other members in the group were carrying some very impressive high dollar gear. However, only a couple folks asked why I used Sony and not Nikon or Canon. By the end of the day it was no longer discussed. I was the only person in the group to capture shots of an Osprey with a freshly caught fish, a Roseate Spoonbill and a Night Heron, all in flight.The how I did it became the discussion. The name on my camera is not what captured these images. Knowing my camera's abilities and having knowledge of these particur bird's behavior when they came into view is what allowed me to capture the images. Now I'm a member of the group and we take regular photo outings when I'm home and I'm still using a Sony.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast